Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:47:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are sidechains impossible  (Read 1041 times)
readerbtc (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 02:07:07 AM

Is there any post or paper arguing about the impossibility of 2-pegged sidechains? I googled and found nothing.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2017, 02:15:38 AM

They can't possibly be impossible. Software and projects already exist which use two way pegged sidechains.

readerbtc (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 02:17:04 AM

But is there a post arguing they are?
gueorguiev

Activity: 171
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 05:22:31 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I dont think there'are any posts or threads arguing against the possibility of sidechains. Ive done some searching google with different keywords, but i think the general consensus is that side chains are 100% possible. The closest thing I found is  an reddit thread of Peter Todd speaking up against sidechains.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2424x1/peter_todd_explainins_why_sidechains_are_insecure/
readerbtc (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 02:58:02 PM

Thank ou very much!  Smiley
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 04:12:12 PM

But is there a post arguing they are?

But if they are possible (because they exist) and there is a post arguing they're not possible, then aren't you ready to accept that the argumentation in that post is flawed?
readerbtc (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2017, 03:13:22 PM

I don't intend to engage in a flame war here. Neither I want Blockstream or whatever hiring killers to murder me.  Smiley

But the basic idea is: yes, there are products calling themselves "2 pegged sidechains" but they wont work as advertised.
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6265

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
July 23, 2017, 05:30:45 PM
Last edit: July 23, 2017, 07:50:09 PM by d5000

There is a pretty prominent forum author, AnonyMint (his last incarnation was, I think, "iamnotback"), that mantains the view that pegged sidechains won't work. Here mentions his doubts, but I admit that never really analyzed deeply his argumentation. He basically says the same like Peter Todd, that it's difficult to incentivize mining in a way security is guaranteed.

They can't possibly be impossible. Software and projects already exist which use two way pegged sidechains.

Is there a decentralized one among them? I'm very interested in the sidechain technology and above all working examples, but so far, I only know working federated sidechains (like Blockstream's sidechains and RSK).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2017, 07:22:04 PM

Could we agree they are not impossible but you need to put lot of energy and efforts into, to get them more or less safe?

If we agree on that, I would like to see not this energy spent to sidechains too much, at least not for scaling tasks, rather spent this energy and efforts into KNOWN safe on-chain scaling and improvements.

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
readerbtc (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 09:49:48 PM

Could we agree they are not impossible but you need to put lot of energy and efforts into, to get them more or less safe?

The 'impossible' part for me is the '2-pegged' aspect: there will be a price difference, always, between pure bitcoins and the tokens from the sidechain.
readerbtc (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 09:50:47 PM

There is a pretty prominent forum author, AnonyMint (his last incarnation was, I think, "iamnotback"), that mantains the view that pegged sidechains won't work. Here mentions his doubts, but I admit that never really analyzed deeply his argumentation. He basically says the same like Peter Todd, that it's difficult to incentivize mining in a way security is guaranteed.
Thank you, I'll read.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: