Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:46:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will multisig escrowing be Bitcoin's "killer feature"?  (Read 1298 times)
oakpacific (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:15:37 AM

I don't see it being advertised a lot, neither is it given a lot of love(we still can't do it in the GUI),  but I definitely see a market for such  a feature, there are a lot of transactions for which both parties involved would not want to put the escrowed funds in the hands of a third-party, in fact they may not even want any third-party to be aware of the transaction. So it seems that multisig can at least solve such a problem for a lot of these people.

What do you think?

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 05:33:34 AM

Not anytime soon. Somebody has to develop a user friendly interface to it. I mean a web service with a top notch UI.

Also multi sig transaction is not an escrow as such. You still need both the buyer and seller to agree to release the coins or else they are lost forever. Even after the buyer makes payment the seller could demand extra money to release the bitcoins.

With a third party escrow the seller can't do anything like that. The escrow agent can use his own judgement and release payment if he is shown proof that the buyer made payment.
oakpacific (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 05:47:45 AM

Not anytime soon. Somebody has to develop a user friendly interface to it. I mean a web service with a top notch UI.

Also multi sig transaction is not an escrow as such. You still need both the buyer and seller to agree to release the coins or else they are lost forever. Even after the buyer makes payment the seller could demand extra money to release the bitcoins.

With a third party escrow the seller can't do anything like that. The escrow agent can use his own judgement and release payment if he is shown proof that the buyer made payment.

I agree with all of it, but multisig would somehow remian useful. Consider, for example, a platform like Silk Road where credit rating is quite important and buyers have to escrow their funds with the platform, since the identity of the platform operator is not known, there is always the risk that the operator will run away with the escrowed money. Now with the multisig any malicious buyer will be punished by the rating system, and the escrowing address can be used as proof, in this case a huamn escrower would not do better at judging the proof of delivery from the buyer as there will be none.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
David Rabahy

Activity: 709
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 06:05:02 AM

Use case for 3 of 4 multisig;

Today a trust company will hold gold (or other asset) on behalf of someone -- a self-directed is an example.  Nothing guarantees the trust company won't lose/steal the asset.

A self-direct IRA where the owner (2 signatures) and 2 different/independent trust companies (1 signature each) can be sure the Bitcoins remain in the designated address until the owner and at least one of the trust companies agree to release them.  The owner only needs at least one of the trust companies to be reliable.  Even if both trust companies conspire to steal the Bitcoins they cannot.

Use case for 4 of 6; owner gets 3, three different trust companies get 1 each.

Use case for 5 of 8; ...

As the number of different/independent trust companies increases the risk of one of them being unreliable increases.  An unreliable trust company could conspire with the owner to release the Bitcoins inappropriately.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 06:29:46 AM

Craigslist type classified ad services would benefit greatly from such an app. Two-party multisig transactions add additional privacy and security.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 09:30:45 PM

It could be, however, that would require someone to really believe in it and have lots of coding knowledge and such to go out there and make a super simple super easy to use interface for it. I definitely wouldn't like it if it had a complicated interface because I would always be worried that I could mess it up and lose some of my BTC especially as the transaction sizes became larger.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: