Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:46:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: In regards to all the optimism  (Read 1982 times)
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 02:40:22 PM

Why are you even here?  Your first post ever on this forum accused us all of having rose colored glasses or playing games with each other.  You didn't come here trying to figure out what Bitcoin is or how to sell it or mine it or make money with it, all you did was proclaim your complete lack of understanding of the subject. 

You say things like "Bitcoins are meaningless without perceived value, and that perceived value drops when people sell. " - as if you are the only person that understands supply and demand.  Bitcoin has been around for two years.  Your arguments have been made since day one by other people.  Bitcoin is still around and gaining traction.  More and more people are offering websites where you can buy and sell goods and services.  If you want to understand how Bitcoin works then fine, be my guest, ask questions.  Don't paint us all with one stroke. 

"To paraphrase.. "Bitcoins only have value to people that perceive value in them" Huh? ".  My statement stands.  You dismiss Bitcoin because you see no value, and that is your right.  However, I do value them.   If you want to understand why I value them then try asking.  Don't say I'm being naive just because I think differently than you. 

I am not defending myself or Bitcoin, as you imply with - "Your defence for something you're obviously very keen on is admirable, but I'm really not sure what your point is here."  I am attacking your ignorance.

You summed your problem up nicely with - "Yes you have a perceived value of the currency, but if no one else in the world agrees with you, you're basically dreaming."  Except that I am not the only person that perceives value.  And that's what you aren't grasping.

You use words like 'dreaming' and 'naive' in reference to us.  What the hell is that all about?  Are you trying to shield yourself from other realities by just assuming that I and others like me are living in lala-land or stupid?  Or are you trying to instill doubt by using words that imply that you possess greater knowledge on the subject or that we don't know how the real world works?  Can you only make yourself feel better by looking down upon others?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
misterPaul (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:21:06 PM

Why are you even here?  Your first post ever on this forum accused us all of having rose colored glasses or playing games with each other.  You didn't come here trying to figure out what Bitcoin is or how to sell it or mine it or make money with it, all you did was proclaim your complete lack of understanding of the subject. 

You say things like "Bitcoins are meaningless without perceived value, and that perceived value drops when people sell. " - as if you are the only person that understands supply and demand.  Bitcoin has been around for two years.  Your arguments have been made since day one by other people.  Bitcoin is still around and gaining traction.  More and more people are offering websites where you can buy and sell goods and services.  If you want to understand how Bitcoin works then fine, be my guest, ask questions.  Don't paint us all with one stroke. 

"To paraphrase.. "Bitcoins only have value to people that perceive value in them" Huh? ".  My statement stands.  You dismiss Bitcoin because you see no value, and that is your right.  However, I do value them.   If you want to understand why I value them then try asking.  Don't say I'm being naive just because I think differently than you. 

I am not defending myself or Bitcoin, as you imply with - "Your defence for something you're obviously very keen on is admirable, but I'm really not sure what your point is here."  I am attacking your ignorance.

You summed your problem up nicely with - "Yes you have a perceived value of the currency, but if no one else in the world agrees with you, you're basically dreaming."  Except that I am not the only person that perceives value.  And that's what you aren't grasping.

You use words like 'dreaming' and 'naive' in reference to us.  What the hell is that all about?  Are you trying to shield yourself from other realities by just assuming that I and others like me are living in lala-land or stupid?  Or are you trying to instill doubt by using words that imply that you possess greater knowledge on the subject or that we don't know how the real world works?  Can you only make yourself feel better by looking down upon others?

My first post was pretty clear on this, I don't think everyone else is stupid, certainly, though obviously 50% of people will have below average IQ. However, I do know that most people will do what is best for themselves. It's a pretty safe bet to always bet on self interest.

You have to admit that if a lot of people were thinking of selling, they'd be posting all over this board about how selling is a bad idea. So I wouldn't necessarily trust what appears to be popular opinion. All I was doing was thinking what I'd be doing if I were in this position of sitting on a bunch of virtual currency with an uncertain future and an inability to sell. Seeing that massive dive in market value would have scared me. I'd be trying to think of ways to restrict any possible loses. That doesn't even mean I'd be assuming the currency is about to die, just that a number of people may be about to sell, and if i'm the first to sell and the first to buy back when it begins to recover, I could make a ton of dosh.

As it seems you've taken this as a personal attack on yourself, I do apologise.
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:21:34 PM

a huge amount of people buy music, films, videogames, applications and whatever else through an appstore, and all of what they get is only ones and zeros.

Before that was cds, dvds, game cartridges and floppy disks, and they were just physical containers of ones and zeros.

For a very long time ones and zeros have been traded for money.

Everything you've listed there has actual value to me; there's a benefit to me in acquiring those 1's and 0's. There's no direct benefit to acquiring bitcoin 1's and 0's, beyond what other people believe they are worth, and therefore what you can trade them to other people for. You still aren't getting this.

Hahaha, how is it you are saying I'm not getting this, when it's clear you are not getting this?
Actual value to anything at all, is purely subjective.

An example:

Back in the 90's a brand new compact disk with about 10-20 songs on it was typically in the range of about 10-20USD.
It did not matter whether or not you valued the pattern of ones and zeros on it, that is what the price was set at.

It's the same ideology of the US Dollar, the only reason a Us Dollar is worth the amount it is in comparison to the British Pound, is because the IMF says so.
How is it you can't see the value of a bitcoin, when The US Dollar is as baseless as Monopoly money?

the Bitcoin, is worth the amount of electricity spent, services spent, processor cycles spent and hardware spent all in time against a difficulty rating used to solve the blocks.

TL;DR

The actual cost to a miner is the intrinsic value of each of a miner's Bitcoins.
The decision to sell a bitcoin must be equal to or greater than the cost used to solve a block.

Are you still being contrary or does it make sense to you now?

dodgrr

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:25:44 PM

I've always been told something's worth as much as someone else is willing to pay.. who likes tulips?

Are-you-a-wizard?

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:29:52 PM

The main thing I'm waiting for right now, is the opening of mtgox and the flood of funds that's going to be withdrawn from there into rival exchanges.

I have no idea how it will effect things, but it's certainly going to have some sort of impact.
Ilikeham

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:00:23 AM

I have to wonder, is this really just a case of mass rose tinted glasses, or are you all playing a game with each other?

For someone who wants to engage in discussion I find your approach condescending.

All fiat currency only has value because it's perceived to have value. The fact that I can exchange useless pieces of paper normally only good for wiping butts and starting fires for such things as houses and gold means perception is reality. If you want a piece of physical silver, I'll sell it to you, for bitcoins. That should be a huge deal for you right? Trading something "imaginary" for something physical?

Now that's not a game is it... I'll take your bitcoin currency for a physical object. How much more real do you want it to be?
dodgrr

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:10:32 AM

^^ agreed.  Plus, I like ham too.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: