Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:42:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to install or Run Armory Plugins?  (Read 538 times)
tombow (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 12:41:07 AM

Hi All,

I need to install one of the Armory plugins from Github, but I'm not sure exactly of how to do it. I've copied the python script from GitHub and saved it as a *.py file using Note++

Where do I install that plugin file and how to I execute it within Armory?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 11:30:09 AM

Create a folder named "modules" in the Armory source folder, copy the plugin in there. The plugin needs to be signed by Alan's key to be loaded on mainnet. It doesn't need a sig to work on testnet. You'd have to modify the source to get rid of the sig check.

tombow (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:05:33 AM

Thanks Goatpig. I'm still having issues getting it to work.

I've coppied the PWfinder code from the GitHub link you gave me and saved it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\modules as PassPhraseFinderPlugin.py file using Note++.

I restart Armory, and I can't find the plug-in. I'm trying to brute force my mainet wallet containing my BTC as it's not accepting the passphrase I had saved. As I mentioned, I'm not a coder, but I can follow instructions if someone is able to guide me through the process. I couldn't find anything in the plugin code about a sig/key, so I've no idea what code to modify if that's whats causing the plugin to not show up in the GUI.

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 01:31:30 PM

The module folder should be in the source dir. Did you build the code from source?

tombow (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 12:11:30 AM

The module folder should be in the source dir. Did you build the code from source?

I'm sorry. I have no idea what this means or how to do it. Like I said, I'm not a coder, and have no experience with this kind of thing. I really just need a how-to guide, to talk me through the process.
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 12:23:15 AM

I'm sorry. I have no idea what this means or how to do it. Like I said, I'm not a coder, and have no experience with this kind of thing. I really just need a how-to guide, to talk me through the process.

At this rate you are better off paying a service to help you recover.

tombow (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 04:08:38 AM

I'd rather learn myself. I'm not incompetent, but you're speaking at a level above my knowledge, and you don't seem willing to dumb it down to a comprehensible level for me. As I keep mentioning, I am NOT a coder. I can follow simple step by step instructions though, and I've already offered to give you personally a btc donation for your help with this particular issue.
tombow (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 04:38:32 AM
Last edit: July 28, 2017, 06:23:47 AM by tombow

Going to follow this guide to recompile on windows and hopefully add the plugin at the same time. Wish me luck!
https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/blob/master/windowsbuild/Windows_build_notes.md

*Edit: Aborting that idea. Some of the software is either outdated/unavailable or won't install :-(
Plus there's no info on actually compiling the software (just states what software is needed)

I still can't understand why the module isn't being loaded when I start armory.qt. I'm pretty sure I've saved it as the correct file type and in the correct location etc. :-/
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 12:18:41 PM

It never was meant to. You have to modify Armory's source to prevent it from checking the module signature.

tombow (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 12:23:01 AM

Ok thanks, I'll try to learn how to do that then. I've just bought a couple of books on python and git aimed at beginners, so hopefully that'll give me a bit of a leg-up to get this sorted.

What should I be looking for in the source to remove that signature check? Any particular file or code I need to change?
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 03:01:16 PM

https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/blob/master/dynamicImport.py

tombow (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 10:52:21 PM

Thank you good sir :-)
tombow (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 11:43:04 AM

Ok, so I've been trawling through the code all night. I understand what the dynamicImport.py file is doing, and I also understand what the plugin file itself is doing.

Technically, the module should be zipped, then combined into another zip file along with a signature.txt file and properties.txt file, and placed inside the modules folder inside the armory source dir. The dynamicImport file you linked then removes the need for that file structure, and allows the installation of the plugin without needing to be zipped up etc.
It still needs the singature check though, which i understand I have to take out.

So regarding the dynamicImport.py file, I'm not sure how much of it I have to remove. If I remove the entire section relating to zipped modules and signature checks, armoryqt won't run:
(ERROR) Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ArmoryQt.py", line 71, in <module>
ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

If I just remove the sections pertaining to checking the signatures, armoryqt will start, but the plugin doesn't load.
If I load the dynamicImport.py code as-is from the git repo without making any changes, armory starts fine, but it also doesn't show any plugin, nor any plugin errors. But according to the code, it should show an error along the lines of "plugin failed to load" or something similar if the plugin is there, but not signed.

So rather than something being wrong with how I'm editing the code to remove the signature check, I think it might be something more fundamental which I'm not getting right.

Do I save the dynamicImport.py file in the source directory? (C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory)
I have the plugin file saved in C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\modules. Is this correct? Or should it be in C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Armory\modules ?

Sorry for the loads of questions. I am learning a lot, but still obviously haven't quite figured things out yet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: