Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:53:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: All the hacks and theft just make Bitcoin.... Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger  (Read 1724 times)
ISA (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:32:00 AM

First of all a BIG THANKS to the Bitcoin developers, the community! and all,
who put so much passion into this project! Bitcoin makes the world brighter. THANK you

I'm 100% convinced that the recent hacks and thefts in the end are extremely helpful to the success of Bitcoin at a large scale:
- Alternative trade markets (e.g. TradeHill) grow now. Strong alternative markets remove the single point of failure (existing currencies<->BTC).
- More and more media coverage. I'm looking forward to the the next big POSITIVE story about Bitcoin.
- The number of businesses accepting Bitcoin is growing very fast (e.g. drop box like cloud sync provider like Wuala or PowerFolder)

This make me strongly believe that the recent problems just make Bitcoin

HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, STRONGER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl6RJyZdBSU

Keep on going
What do you think?
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Synaptic

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:33:24 AM

who put so much passion into this project! Bitcoin makes the world brighter. THANK you

I'm 100% convinced that the recent hacks and thefts in the end are extremely helpful to the success of Bitcoin at a large scale:
- Alternative trade markets (e.g. TradeHill) grow now. Strong alternative markets remove the single point of failure (existing currencies<->BTC).
- More and more media coverage. I'm looking forward to the the next big POSITIVE story about Bitcoin.
- The number of businesses accepting Bitcoin is growing very fast (e.g. drop box like cloud sync provider like Wuala or PowerFolder)

Keep on going
What do you think?

LOL...

Let's dance everyone! PARTYTIME!
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:35:47 AM

I think the fact that tradehill opened this morning, and promptly dropped to $6/coin, but has been steadily rising to $15/coin ever since really speaks for itself.  I was expecting a complete dropout of the market this morning after yesterday's debacle, but that is absolutely not what happened.
ISA (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:38:21 AM

I think the fact that tradehill opened this morning, and promptly dropped to $6/coin, but has been steadily rising to $15/coin ever since really speaks for itself.  I was expecting a complete dropout of the market this morning after yesterday's debacle, but that is absolutely not what happened.
Absolutely true.
Astrohacker

Activity: 156
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 12:39:29 AM

I sort of agree; I think bitcoin will be tougher after this. However, it is still unfortunate to have to go through this. It is much better if we can anticipate these problems and prevent them rather than suffer through them and fix them post facto.
Synaptic

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:41:18 AM

Absolutely true.

Hash the Cash
Pump tha Dump
Shoop da Woop
ISA (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:44:56 AM

I sort of agree; I think bitcoin will be tougher after this. However, it is still unfortunate to have to go through this. It is much better if we can anticipate these problems and prevent them rather than suffer through them and fix them post facto.
True.

Some security measures can be taken from the existing online banking (at least their good for that), probably account + Number lists for transaction verification.
Moreover I'm looking forward to see
- mobile/SMS verification of account changes, trades and withdrawals.
- Temporary locks of withdrawal addresses (Bitcoin, Dwollar, etc.)
- Login verification based on geo location.
- and so on...
Synaptic

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:49:10 AM

Keep on going
What do you think?

If there'a any way we can nominate threads for awards, I nominate this one

for being FABULOUS
BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:52:11 AM

Well, yes and no. I think that it's good for people to realize that Bitcoin is not perfect and that security is integral, and that kind of learning comes best from catastrophes like this. The road to success for Bitcoin may be like a roller coaster ride, but when you're done, you'll wish you could do it again. Smiley

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
Dobrodav

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:01:51 AM

OMG, OP is so overexcited and optimistic, that i am start to think, that we are involving in some sort of Religio-Economical sect.

Synaptic

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:03:09 AM

OMG, OP is so overexcited and optimistic, that i am start to think, that we are involving in some sort of Religio-Economical sect.

WE FOUND A WITCH, MAY WE BURN HER?
neneko

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:04:42 AM

I really hope the other markets learn from this and start treating bitcoins and the money they're handling as actual money now.

I find it baffling that there's still no service offering two-factor authentication/one-time passwords type of security. If none of the established markets get on this I'm seriously thinking about starting my own. I don't think it's over the top for the markets to offer the same security as online banks. Right now we're nowhere close to that.
MeSarah

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:11:17 AM

I too think it will make BTC a better product. I thought Mt. Gox would have used multi-itteration hashing but it looks like they didnt. Lets hope that the next attack wont come from a SSL man in the middle attack.

https://ssltls.de/status-of-major-sites.php

60 GH/s BFL Single SC - Pre-Order Yours Today!
`````` Only $1299.99 - butterflylabs.com ``````
ISA (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:14:09 AM

And don't forget to watch the video:
Synaptic

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:14:58 AM

And don't forget to watch the video:

...for being FABULOUS.
ISA (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:28:36 AM

If there'a any way we can nominate threads for awards, I nominate this one

for being FABULOUS
Thank you Tongue Grin
Dobrodav

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:30:16 AM

Thanks for mention Daft pank, they are still great.

ISA (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:30:58 AM

"Nothing is stronger than an idea whose time has come."
-Victor Hugo
triforcelink

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:48:09 AM