Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:55:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie spec. short portfolio  (Read 523 times)
kirill2012 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 12:04:00 PM

I have created short portfolio with leverage 1:1 as below.
Expexting to hold till end of this month, maybe longer:
20% ETH short; 20% DASH short; 20% LITECOIN short; 20% RIPPLE short; 20% MONERO short;
Hedge thru BTC;
Considering current volatility it's applied leverage is 1:1;

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Charloz24

Activity: 966
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 12:07:38 PM

20% ETH short; 20% DASH short; 20% LITECOIN short; 20% RIPPLE short; 20% MONERO short;
Hedge thru BTC;

IMHO right now is wrong time to hold short, market really unstable (and a lot of manipulation) because of AUG 1. Better keep longer than 1 month.
CoinCollector006

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 12:50:28 PM

This seems extraordinarily risky. Both stocks and crypto have a long term upward bias. And you picked like Litecoin and Monero either of which may encounter a substantial upward repricing once private banking money and HNW decide to enter crypto in size.

I would use tight stops and manage your risk to avoid losing your shirt especially of the position size is large versus your net worth. Good luck.

░▓██████████████░
    ░▒██            ▒██▒░         ▓█████▓                               ░█████▒               ███                   
█████▓░     ██████░   ▒▓████      ██░░░▓█▓                             ▒███▒▓███              ███                     
██        █▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓█▓▒    ██     ▒█▓    ██                             ███   ▒██▒                                 
▓█      ░█▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓█░  █▓     ▓█▒   ▒█▓  ░████▓    █████   ░█████▓  ██▓    ██▓  ███████▓   ▓██   ▒█████▓   ███████▓
░█░    ░█▓▒▒░░░░░▒ ░▒██  ░█░     ██    ██░  ██  ▓█▒  ██░ ▒█▓  ▓█▓  ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███▒ ▓███  ███  ▒██▓ ▒██▒  ███▒ ▓███
 ██    ██▒░░░▒▒ ░░▒▒▓█▒  ██     ▒█▓    ██  ██   ▒█▒ ▓█░   █▓  ██   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███   ███
 ▒█░ ░▒█▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒█ ░█▒     ▓█░   ▒█▓  ███████  ███████░ ░█▓   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
  ██ ░██▓▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒░░░█░ ██      ██    ██░ ▒█▓░▒░░  ░█▓░▒░░░  ▓█░  ▒█▒  ██▓    ██▓  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
   ██  █▓██▓▒▒▒▒░▒▒▓█▒ ██      ▒█▓   ░██  ██       ▓█░       ██   ██   ███   ▒██▒  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███  ░███
    ██    ▒▓███████▓  ██       ██▒  ▒██   ██  ░██  ▓█░  ██░ ░██  ▓█▓   ▓██▓▒▒███   ███  ░███  ███  ░██▓░▓██▒  ███  ░███
     ██░       ░    ░██        ██████▓    ▒█████   ░█████░  ▓█████▓     ▒█████▓    ███  ░███  ███   ▒█████▒   ███  ░███
      ▒██          ██▒                                      ██                                                   
        ▒██░     ▓██                                       ▒█▓                                                         
          ▓██░ ▓██░                                        ██░                                                         
            ▒██▓
Tor Integrated & Secured
gsxrboy

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 01:27:15 PM

Seem's you will go broke in no time.
kirill2012 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 08:53:48 PM

thanks to every one who gave comments,... I have closed mentioned portfolio with 6.2% profit (Dynamic Drop down af portfolio was up to ~8.7% during these days. It's too much. I have tried to minimize voloatility thru BTC hedge (long BTC), but looks like this one's is not enough... As for now still holdnig small position of short ETH/BTC as for reference.
Generally I need to review way of volatility decreasing for portfolio with targeting of dynamic drop down <10% with speculation period ut to 1-2 month.
...any suggestions are always welcome.
Donaldturp

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 09:03:14 PM

Hedge thru BTC;

Never make short positions in cryptocurrency. You can trade or margin trade all altcoins but keeping shorts are fatal in this market. Never do it even once. The rest is free to do even lending.
thompshma

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 09:21:19 PM

Hedge thru BTC;

Never make short positions in cryptocurrency. You can trade or margin trade all altcoins but keeping shorts are fatal in this market. Never do it even once. The rest is free to do even lending.

Why would you advise against shorting here?
kirill2012 (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 09:40:38 PM

Hedge thru BTC;

maybe better for next time will change format of portfolio Smiley
the portfolio of below is equal to the original one:

I want to make long BTC, BTC/USDT volatility is high, i do not accept that in 2-3 days will be +-20% even profit or losses; so I have done with 5 altcoins short with normal level of exchanege volume on market. for me it's ok that this portfolio can bring up to 10% profit but will not drop down with 20%
short ETH/BTC = long BTC/USD and short ETH/USD
hase0278

Activity: 882
Merit: 544

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 10:01:49 PM

Hedge thru BTC;
It is a really bad idea to short now on the altcoins you have chosen above, since some are not that volatile right now and if they were, it would only be up just a little and diown again, it will not be a good thing to short it that way. I guess you should hold it for weeks more or months before selling it, and sell it only when you have a good sum of profit already.
Qunenin

Activity: 966
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 07:21:29 AM

Hedge thru BTC;

You want a short portfolio how about you invest in Bitcoin and nothing else. That's your short portfolio and that's about what you can handle with your level of knowledge. Invest in a single thing go from Fiat to bitcoin and stay there and keep it there as you can see the price is continually Rising 6 months down the road it will be higher than it is now.

.1xBit.com.
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████