Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 03:56:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ATTN Windows Users - run new coins in a Sandbox  (Read 1065 times)
fenican (OP)

Activity: 1394
Merit: 505

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:58:22 PM

It is essential for safety that you run new coins in a safe sandboxed environment.

I am using this product:

http://www.sandboxie.com/

I have no affiliation with sandboxie but thought I would put this up as a public service announcement so people stop having their wallets stolen
bengx

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:05:40 PM

Mmm good idea. Will check it out. Should I.. run it in a sandbox to make sure nothing funny happens too? Tongue
WindMaster

Activity: 347
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:05:49 PM

It is essential for safety that you run new coins in a safe sandboxed environment.

I am using this product:

I have no affiliation with sandboxie but thought I would put this up as a public service announcement so people stop having their wallets stolen

Keep in mind that Sandboxie does nothing to prevent sandboxed programs from reading any file on your computer that they wish (or at least that are readable by applications on your computer in general), it just restricts where they can *write* files.  That means a program running under Sandboxie will be able to read your Bitcoin or Litecoin wallet.dat files all day long.  As well as your web browser history, saved passwords, cookies, etc..  Calling it "sandboxed" may be providing a false sense of security..

The correct answer here is to run new coins in a VM (virtual machine) instead that is completely isolated from your PC.  VirtualBox is free, if you have nothing better.
MrWizard

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:15:59 PM

I am using this product:

Keep in mind that Sandboxie does nothing to prevent sandboxed programs from reading any file on your computer that they wish (or at least that are readable by applications on your computer in general), it just restricts where they can *write* files.  That means a program running under Sandboxie will be able to read your Bitcoin or Litecoin wallet.dat files all day long.  As well as your web browser history, saved passwords, cookies, etc..  Calling it "sandboxed" may be providing a false sense of security..

The correct answer here is to run new coins in a VM (virtual machine) instead that is completely isolated from your PC.  VirtualBox is free, if you have nothing better.
Correct me if I am wrong but you cannot mine with a GPU in a VM.   Huh  Does not the VM emulate a generic type graphics adapter?

"I walked into the room dripping in Bitcoins.  Yea dripping in Bitcoins."
(BTC) 168DCCeGmDy3xTWRimLVhvKtK3yEWbpsSg     (LTC) LbYS8VFqFSU7B9bfaHD11seQMtrtYEKpLe
(BBQ) bNVZErvwLzpEG7H3kt1fycWspzRQB1MJzL
aa

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 04:34:05 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2014, 10:39:39 PM by aa

MrWizard

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:40:04 PM

You are running the wallet in the VM.
Got it!  Thanks.

Edit: p.s.  The VM could/should be linux.  Linux uses less RAM than a Windows install and easier to build the *coind.exe
Edit2:  I love Mint version of Linux, but my question is; is there a very lightweight distro of Linux to install/build/run coin wallets?

(BTC) 168DCCeGmDy3xTWRimLVhvKtK3yEWbpsSg     (LTC) LbYS8VFqFSU7B9bfaHD11seQMtrtYEKpLe
cannonfodder

Activity: 178

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:52:34 PM

Actually you can specify to deny reading of files/folders in sandboxie. Settings/Resource Access/File Access/Blocked Access

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ResourceAccessSettings#file
aa

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 04:53:41 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2014, 10:39:31 PM by aa

MrWizard

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 05:00:17 PM

You are running the wallet in the VM.
Got it!  Thanks.

Edit: p.s.  The VM could/should be linux.  Linux uses less RAM than a Windows install and easier to build the *coind.exe
Edit2:  I love Mint version of Linux, but my question is; is there a very lightweight distro of Linux to install/build/run coin wallets?
The majority if distros are based on Debian.

Make sure you set the networking (for example, with VirtualBox) to bridge mode, otherwise you won't get a properly accessible IP for mining.
I have been using VMware for many years, and I am very happy with it.  Actually had up to 10 VMs running at one time on one machine for some crazy thing I was doing.  What I want is to allocate as little RAM as possible to the VM as I will very likely run several different wallets at one time.  (not 10  Wink)

That is why I ask for opinions on the lightest weight Linux distro suitable for running wallets.

aa

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 05:04:19 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2014, 10:39:23 PM by aa

nocoin

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 05:05:50 PM

That is why I ask for opinions on the lightest weight Linux distro suitable for running wallets.
Debian GNU/Linux. X-server + Openbox window manager = 20 Mb RAM.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: