Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:37:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-05-11 Wall St. Cheat Sheet: Should Google Launch Its Own Currency?  (Read 1066 times)
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 06:16:32 PM

The short answer to the question is: probably not.

Phil Pearlman, executive director of StockTwits and a partner at Social Leverage, wrote a blog post in April speculating on the meteoric rise of Bitcoin, a virtual currency, and “the small group of geniuses” at Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) that must be paying close attention to it. While there’s little doubt that Bitcoin has registered on Google’s radar in some way, shape, or form, it seems unlikely — although certainly not outside the realm of possibility — that the company would take the mantle of currency stewardship upon itself.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/should-google-launch-its-own-currency.html/?a=viewall

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 06:45:27 PM

It would be more likely for them to integrate Bitcoin into some kind of payments/clearing than to issue their own flavor of blockchain. Hell, they could section off part of their datacenters for ASIC clusters to protect their investment by holding a percentage of the total hashing power.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 06:49:55 PM

If any company would create cryptocurrency it would be the same as paypal. I see no point in this. The phenomena of bitcoin is its open source and no government or other control.

Gordonium

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:19:17 PM

If any company would create cryptocurrency it would be the same as paypal. I see no point in this. The phenomena of bitcoin is its open source and no government or other control.

+1
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 12:22:24 AM

and google understands the concept of open source.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:30:58 AM

I see that Google has two options should they decide to create their own crypto currency.  Option one is to create a Bitcoin clone.  Option two is to create a Ripple like clone.  I am guessing they will go for option 2 and create a Ripple clone because they want to be in control of it.  If I was Google I would give everyone with a verified gmail account some gipples.  This is why ripple will fail because tech companies will create centrally controlled currencies.  Decentralized currencies like bitcoin will be here for the long haul.
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 05:34:30 AM

Interesting article. While I would support wholeheartedly google launching its own currency (google is my favorite company), I think there is a higher chance of them building a data center in order to dominate bitcoins especially with more than $1b in bitcoins being released in the future.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 09:43:49 AM

[e author=BitshireHathaway link=topic=203236.msg2128521#msg2128521 date=1368423270]
Interesting article. While I would support wholeheartedly google launching its own currency (google is my favorite company), I think there is a higher chance of them building a data center in order to dominate bitcoins especially with more than $1b in bitcoins being released in the future.
[/quote]

What would be interesting to know is which technology company has the largest computer center in the world. Is it Google?

that  company would have first mover advantage that's for sure in Bitcoin
phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:00:04 AM

I see that Google has two options should they decide to create their own crypto currency. …
Right now, they somehow already support Bitcoin, because bitcoinj is one of those 20% projects. So, right here your statement is already wrong. If they are clever, they wait and see for now – and prepare for a mixed strategy in the next years. They can simultaneously go more than one way and see what sticks over time. It's also not Gmail, but the Android platform they'll most likely use to push their form of digital payment system … that way they reach many more customers and it's independent of such an ancient technology like email.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 04:44:22 PM

They can simply decide to start recognizing/supporting a currency and that would be about the same as them starting their own, except that it would already come with a userbase.

That would likely have the highest chance for success?  Rather than starting from scratch like the alts; although, I think they would have success that way, too.

Just not sure if that would be a logical addition to their business model, but I'm sure they have someone analyzing it.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: