Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 04:33:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are Alternate Cryptocurrencies used for?  (Read 667 times)
champbronc2 (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 07:58:03 PM

Well..?

You can't even buy shit with them... they are hype-based, nothings without practical value.. right?

And everyone here is just hoping they are less stupid than the less guy and steal his money? While that guy hopes the opposite?

Or am I missing something?

https://bitquick.co - Buy bitcoins instantly with cash at 2% fee or Sell Bitcoins at 0% fee with BitQuick.co. Encourage safer, more secure trading! Stop selling on LocalBitcoins.
Safe trading resource: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208203.0 Read it before you ever make a trade! Know what you're getting yourself into!
Rave

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 07:59:35 PM

Nope, that's it.

Would you like to buy some Frankos?

Wanna spend some Bitcoins with a prepaid Master Card? All you need is a VirWox Account and a Skrill Master Card Wink

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:02:54 PM

Well in most of cases that's true (very). But each coin has to start from something. It can be build into something while time passes.

BTC: 16MZAq1ogFoMskBXgvDkCFdACsXaGiRPfM LTC: LUVnnG5DJY3bs4h7o1SThZVyjurUTuaa23
PPC: P9K354LGkHaZioQfwn6yhg81K5LhBzpPwC FTC: 729uZ2hAY11nZz81eafvnQpvZknxky7Lbt
PWC: pAKN6fJXGErJ7KqWgSfrdpuw6cYpjdM5rk
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 08:05:53 PM

Nope, that's it.

How do you think bitcoin started? With shopping malls and markets galore with people begging to be paid with bitcoins? More like people had to be convinced they were the future. Then people started adopting them. Value comes from what someone is willing to use them for.

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:06:19 PM

Well..?

You can't even buy shit with them... they are hype-based, nothings without practical value.. right?

And everyone here is just hoping they are less stupid than the less guy and steal his money? While that guy hopes the opposite?

Drrrrrrr

The same thing was said about BTC back then too....

drrrrrrr

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
Adamlm

Activity: 822
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 08:07:12 PM

Litecoin also started like this, there were only exchange for BTC and other altcoins from that time (like IXC, I0C, SC, GG).
And now there are many web services accepting LTC. Most of them are gambling sites, but still LTC is the only one beside BTC which can be used outside coin exchanges

bitdwarf

Activity: 406

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:08:05 PM

BTC is the known crypto but it doesn't support well face to face payments because it's so slow and, since it doesn't, there aren't many existing crypto businesses of the kind that benefits from fast transactions. Plus exchange fees for alts are high.

So there's two things to weight first before evaluating alts:

* That most BTC businesses aren't aware of them.
* That using alts to work around BTC's slowness comes with high fees

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
Rave

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:08:47 PM

Nope, that's it.

How do you think bitcoin started? With shopping malls and markets galore with people begging to be paid with bitcoins? More like people had to be convinced they were the future. Then people started adopting them. Value comes from what someone is willing to use them for.
Does that mean that you want the Frankos?

Wanna spend some Bitcoins with a prepaid Master Card? All you need is a VirWox Account and a Skrill Master Card Wink
Adamlm

Activity: 822
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 08:14:43 PM

Here is an interesting example of real-life transaction with cryptocoins:

In early bitcoin days someone bought two pizzas for 10000 bitcoins. It was someone from this forum.

http://quezi.com/14845

I still can't sleep when I think about it. Ten thousand bitcoins...  I hope those pizzas were tasty.

Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:18:44 PM

Well..?

Well Litecoin is good for gpu miners, faster transactions,  and has some limited acceptance right now.  There's a decent chance this one survives. The others are mostly just clones  people hype.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:24:21 PM

Well..?

Well Litecoin is good for gpu miners, faster transactions,  and has some limited acceptance right now.  There's a decent chance this one survives. The others are mostly just clones  people hype.

How do we know that every alt coin is just hype? Because some people say so? Opinions on coins are just like assholes, everyone has one.
I mine what I can on my nvidia cards. Being able to jump on new coins is the only way I can do it and it has kept me interested. Of course the chance to make a few bucks motivates me too but I lose no sleep over them if they are not worth anything because I have not invested too much into them. When I do buy new video cards they are going to be ATI for mining but they will also be used like a normal video card anyways.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:45:01 PM

Well..?

Well Litecoin is good for gpu miners, faster transactions,  and has some limited acceptance right now.  There's a decent chance this one survives. The others are mostly just clones  people hype.

How do we know that every alt coin is just hype? Because some people say so? Opinions on coins are just like assholes, everyone has one.
I mine what I can on my nvidia cards. Being able to jump on new coins is the only way I can do it and it has kept me interested. Of course the chance to make a few bucks motivates me too but I lose no sleep over them if they are not worth anything because I have not invested too much into them. When I do buy new video cards they are going to be ATI for mining but they will also be used like a normal video card anyways.

I would mine whichever one I expect to be most profitable.  If you're smart you can sell them at the peak of the hype, and possibly make a lot more than mining Litecoin, or hold them till they're worth 0, your choice.

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: