Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:16:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will another currency overtake bitcoins?  (Read 3325 times)
BitshireHashaway (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 08:08:13 PM

Bitcoins has had its run and I feel like with all the other crypto-currencies out there and the new ones being created every day, one of them is bound to take over bitcoins and become the next supreme leader. Do you guys believe that this is true, or do you think that it will never happen and why?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jhansen858

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:17:07 PM

I see no evidence that "bitcoin has seen its day".. Saying that is the same as saying "linux has seen its day"  I don't think either are going anywhere any time soon.  Bitcoin is like "open source money".  Its here to stay. 

Hi forum: 1DDpiEt36VTJsiJunyBc3XtG6CcSAnsQ4p
Streets 2.0

Activity: 490
Merit: 101

FRX: Ferocious Alpha

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:35:33 PM

I see no evidence that "bitcoin has seen its day".. Saying that is the same as saying "linux has seen its day"  I don't think either are going anywhere any time soon.  Bitcoin is like "open source money".  Its here to stay. 

100% agree, BTC is here and is not going anywhere for quite some time.  You may see it evolve and change to fit the needs of regular consumers, but it will not die and it certainly has not "had its day."  There is far to much interest and traction with this currency and its revolutionary impact cannot be denied, other crypto's are currently just cookie cutter copies of BTC.  LTC offers minimal advantages, its marketing is far to low at this point in the game and exposure was behind.  These other cryptocurrencies are simply pump and dump in my opinion, and the average consumer will not see them as a trust worthy option when they can just choose to use the proven stable that is BTC.

Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:58:15 PM

Bitcoins has had its run and I feel like with all the other crypto-currencies out there and the new ones being created every day, one of them is bound to take over bitcoins and become the next supreme leader. Do you guys believe that this is true, or do you think that it will never happen and why?

When another currency will have better parameters than bitcoin:
 - Network hashrate 92.142 Thash/s ( this year we will go above 250 Thash/s)
 - 30-day Volume 5,020,997 BTC ($526,510,678.15 USD)

Do you understand ? It tooks years of hard work. ( No copy/paste of open source and rename to shit-coin)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:02:13 PM

Litecoin is close but Ripple has, apparently, already done it.

http://www.thebitcointrader.com/2013/05/ripple-is-now-tsunami.html

Only reason that is the case is they have 100 Billion units.

LOL let's change Litecoin to have 1 trillion units then it will be > Bitcoin

What a weak ass argument.  Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:14:21 PM

Market cap really means nothing in essence when you can simply change the total units in circulation to any large number of your choosing.

Hardly a way to be > Bitcoin.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:15:45 PM

the argument is that they have a valuation of 1.3 billion USD... no?

" the XRP market cap is $1.43 billion USD."

That's big, no?  They say it's going to $10 billion?

Everybody can make nice site saying what they want. Bitcoin is able to prove.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:44:20 PM

Wait, I'm confused. 

"Market cap really means nothing in essence when you can simply change the total units in circulation"

I understand it's tied to the number of, in this case, coins... but it's also tied to a value.  They are saying there is $1.3 billion in ripple, no?

As I say I'm confused.

be confused. It is up to you. Do not confuse other. (bad karma)
skull88

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:51:32 PM

Litecoin is close but Ripple has, apparently, already done it.

http://www.thebitcointrader.com/2013/05/ripple-is-now-tsunami.html
So if I make a coin that has 1 billion coins and sell one for 1000$, I created a coin that is bigger than both of them? Shouldn't be that hard  Cheesy

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
Abandon

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:55:41 PM

Any decentralized currency that achieves instant (less than a minute) transactions, while remaining without vulnerability, will take off, leaving bitcoin in the dust. Yet there's a good chance that bitcoin might become this currency, or that this currency will not be possible in an ideal way.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:06:08 PM
Last edit: May 12, 2013, 10:21:28 PM by Odalv

Any decentralized currency that achieves instant (less than a minute) transactions, while remaining without vulnerability, will take off, leaving bitcoin in the dust. Yet there's a good chance that bitcoin might become this currency, or that this currency will not be possible in an ideal way.

Open Transactions as the next layer over bitcoin blockchain will work great.
a) very fast  .. under 1 ms
b) does not require transaction in blockchain (OT will use blockchain only for clearing ... 1 transaction daily/weekly/monthly/yearly? .. is enough)

EDIT: it will work even GOVERNMENT ban bitcoin, ... blockchain is your bank / (government can disable new transactions ) but he cannot change history. (already existing transactions)

EDIT2: I do not believe, it is possible to create an clone (alt-coin). ... you did not understand what is bitcoin, and all ideas not yet implemented in current bitcoin beta version.
Abandon

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:30:09 PM

b) does not require transaction in blockchain (OT will use blockchain only for clearing ... 1 transaction daily/weekly/monthly/yearly? .. is enough)

EDIT: it will work even GOVERNMENT ban bitcoin, ... blockchain is your bank / (government can disable new transactions ) but he cannot change history. (already existing transactions)

That's currently the only known method of instant transactions with crypto currencies, and is how Ripple itself works, yet it remains centralized. It can be destroyed, it can become malicious, it is not 100% safe, and won't be largely adopted by bitcoin enthusiasts.
dopamine

Activity: 486

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:37:00 PM

Markets will determine if bitcoins will get replace and so far nothing has come close to what bitcoins offer.

Bitcoinica still has not given me 50% of my claim of 600 BTC
INTERSANGO can go down with bitcoinica for abandoning customers
Alberto Armandi is a SCAMMER
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:37:03 PM

That's currently the only known method of instant transactions with crypto currencies, and is how Ripple itself works, yet it remains centralized. It can be destroyed, it can become malicious, it is not 100% safe, and won't be largely adopted by bitcoin enthusiasts.

Ripple is excellent example how it will not to work
1. centralized
2. malicious
3. not 100% safe
4. won't be largely adopted

... :-)
Abandon

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:38:57 PM

1. centralized
2. malicious
3. not 100% safe

I see now that it is not based on a centralized model or minority trust. I'll look into it further. Will it be adopted, you think?
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:44:25 PM
Last edit: May 12, 2013, 10:55:58 PM by Odalv

1. centralized
2. malicious
3. not 100% safe

I see now that it is not based on a centralized model or minority trust. I'll look into it further. Will it be adopted, you think?

In bitcoin community any bitcoin holder can choose how to spend his bitcoins.

EDIT: sell for $115 ($50, ... $1500) or rule the world
Abandon

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 11:12:29 PM

1. centralized
2. malicious
3. not 100% safe

In bitcoin community any bitcoin holder can choose how to spend his bitcoins.

EDIT: sell for $115 ($50, ... $1500) or rule the world

I like the idea behind Open Transactions, but it seems very cumbersome and clumsy. Way more hackish than bitcoin itself is. Not that it is without use or potential. But perhaps spread too thin.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:10:38 AM

1. centralized
2. malicious
3. not 100% safe

I disagree. I see Ripple as one of bitcoin's biggest threats. Not because it is better, but because it is worse, but in a convenient way.

All the points you mentioned (except for the last one) are irrelevant for consumers (and small businesses) who just want some convenient and cheap way to use "digital money".

The marketing of the Ripple team so far is impressive, and they try to position themselves in such a way that they seem to pose no threat to bitcoin.

In fact, they're actively trying to warm up the bitcoin community for their project -- they sort of want us to think of Ripple as "another layer on top of bitcoin". Maybe that's how it really is. No objection from me then. But I suspect the Ripple people wouldn't exactly object either in case Ripple manages to take the place of bitcoin as an actual currency and store of value.

tl;dr There's something decidedly disinenginous about the way Ripple markets itself, and I'm not completely sure the people behind it won't try, and perhaps even manage, to become a "bitcoin replacement". Don't underestimate them.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Zaih

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:16:21 AM

I think it's definitely a viable situation to keep in mind.

However, if so, it's not going to be any time soon. At this rate at least (unless people in high places are secretly working on something to take over with at this very moment Tongue)
xorglub

Activity: 204

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:42:10 AM

Right now there are no coins that offer significant improvements over bitcoin. The cost of switching is too great - bitcoin has proven legitimacy, wide support across merchant platforms (well compared to other coins anyway...), and a much higher market cap allowing for a real economy to take place.

The only way for an alt-coin to replace it will either be a massive technological and/or practical advantage, or backing by a government/bank/other influential entity.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 12:33:33 PM

Right now there are no coins that offer significant improvements over bitcoin. The cost of switching is too great - bitcoin has proven legitimacy, wide support across merchant platforms (well compared to other coins anyway...), and a much higher market cap allowing for a real economy to take place.

The only way for an alt-coin to replace it will either be a massive technological and/or practical advantage, or backing by a government/bank/other influential entity.

I'm pretty sure PPCoin offers pretty significant improvement over Bitcoin. There's no need for energy wasting PoW mining for starters, plus PPC is nearly impossible to 51% attack unless you hold 51% or more of all PPC in existence, which is not probable due to you will drive up the price so much you won't be able to afford it.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 12:53:06 PM

I don't think the other currencies available today will replace Bitcoin for the simple reason they don't actually solve problems. (PPC is the only exception, It honestly tried, Its failure needs a whole new thread to discuss).

For example all coins coming up with a "less confirmation time" do not actually solve the confirmation time issue. Because in Bitcoin 6 confirmations are chosen for the fact that an hour is a good estimate of a block being broadcasted to all nodes. Then Litecoin comes and suggest 6 confirmations as well? What do Litecoin use a different faster internet we didn't hear about or something?

Then again others come with larger supply limit -_-!, Guys the supply is fine! it is not about the quantity it is about being finite and well predictable.

I don't want to talk about the coins who gives the developers a percentage per block and rob the balances each blocks because they are just too ridiculous IMO.  Roll Eyes  As well as some crypto wannabes who are still reluctant to release the friggin source code and wants their system to be adopted by the masses. :S geniuses.

Of course I mine them and trade them! I just don't plan on using them or keeping them long term. They are just a source of good popcorn, coke and speculation for me.

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
zachcope

Activity: 209

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 12:56:45 PM

Bitcoin removes the need for trust when receiving money.
Ripple puts it back again.
Ripple is pointless. There is already a mechanism for sending 'credits' across the world - it's in the form of electronic, fixed amount, open source, fully divisible money - Bitcoin. BTCBTCBTCBTCBTC

flipperfish

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

Dolphie Selfie

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:05:21 PM

Ripple is pointless. There is already a mechanism for sending 'credits' across the world - it's in the form of electronic, fixed amount, open source, fully divisible money - Bitcoin. BTCBTCBTCBTCBTC

But Ripple is instant. Bitcoin needs at least 10 Minutes to be trustless. And a full hour to be even more trustless. Wink
I think Ripple (as well as open transactions and centralized services) is a good complement to bitcoin, but will
never replace it.
Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 02:02:44 PM

But Ripple is instant. Bitcoin needs at least 10 Minutes to be trustless. And a full hour to be even more trustless. Wink
I think Ripple (as well as open transactions and centralized services) is a good complement to bitcoin, but will
never replace it.

The Gyft application will gladly accept zero confirmation transactions. Using only my phone, I can go from bitcoins to Whopper in my mouth less than 10 minutes (assuming an internet connection and fast service). Clearly, the 10 minute confirmation is not a total barrier, since the market is willing to accept the risk for smaller transactions.

(I assume Gyft will wait for confirmations on higher value purchases, or actively pursue anyone who executes a zero-confirmation attack)
lophie

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 02:16:32 PM

never replace it.

Instant that can be reversed, So the point?

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 02:18:43 PM

No. Bitcoin is the one, IMO. I have zero interest in the alt coins. None of them even remotely approach bitcoin.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 06:33:42 PM

I disagree. I see Ripple as one of bitcoin's biggest threats. Not because it is better, but because it is worse, but in a convenient way.

All the points you mentioned (except for the last one) are irrelevant for consumers (and small businesses) who just want some convenient and cheap way to use "digital money".

The marketing of the Ripple team so far is impressive, and they try to position themselves in such a way that they seem to pose no threat to bitcoin.

In fact, they're actively trying to warm up the bitcoin community for their project -- they sort of want us to think of Ripple as "another layer on top of bitcoin". Maybe that's how it really is. No objection from me then. But I suspect the Ripple people wouldn't exactly object either in case Ripple manages to take the place of bitcoin as an actual currency and store of value.

tl;dr There's something decidedly disinenginous about the way Ripple markets itself, and I'm not completely sure the people behind it won't try, and perhaps even manage, to become a "bitcoin replacement". Don't underestimate them.

Indeed, I think what avid bitcoiners dislike about Ripple, laymen/prospective bitcoiners don't care all that much about. (eg centralization)

IMO transaction speed and interface are two huge things that Ripple has going for it. I think many people may come to see Ripple as having the novelty of bitcoin (eg being crypto), while maintaining appeal that is more akin to say, Paypal.

Altcoins thus far haven't set themselves apart in any way. But I am not sleeping on Ripple.
hubbabubbabaker

Activity: 98

Sometimes - history needs a push.

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 06:39:54 PM

With the infrastructure slowly being built around it, I doubt BTC will be replaced. Especially if said businesses supporting it's usage grow exponentially after BTC garners more popularity. The only way I could see another crypto overtaking it would be through pure speculative value. However, I could see a similar idea like bitcoin being utilized and controlled by an already existing corporate entity that could successfully transition it to the mainstream. Also, have to factor in whether large corporations adopt bitcoin or whether they would go with this other idea. Right now bitcoin feels like an experiment, and many things can change from beta to alpha. Or whatever arbitrary stage you believe it's at so nobody can answer that question due to all the chaotic variables at play here.

"To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy." -Sun Tzu
Snowfire

Activity: 122

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:27:38 PM

Bitcoin is a beta, not the paragon of eternal perfection. It may well be good enough for now, for most present users. But it does have potential problems which only a true second-generation cryptocurrency can address in the long term, and honest cryptocurrencies cannot evolve; they can only be forked. Most of the alt-coin systems out there currently are not true second-generation, more like BTC 1.01. But some of them may provide useful testing platforms for future concepts. Several years  down the road, I think there will  definitely be serious competition; and part of the outcome will hinge on user-friendliness: moving beyond the enthusiast and nerd communities to something Joe Average will be comfortable with. The problem of how a major fork-and-migrate event will play out is uncharted territory.

BTC:1Ca1YU6rCqCHniNj6BvypHbaHYp32t2ubp XRP: rpVbjBotUFCoi9xPu3BqYXZhTLpgZbQpoZ
LTC:LRNTGhyymtNQ7uWeMQXdoEfP5Mryx2c62i :FC: 6qzaJCrowtyepN5LgdpQaTy94JuxmKmdF7
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:29:28 PM

Bitcoin is the one for now, it has a huge adoption problem to overcome; the same problem exists with all other alt coins. So no viable competitor exists yet.

A coin that mines along a normal distribution curve will better match the adoption curve and thus overtake Bitcoin in time. But as that alt coin does not exist Bitcoin will be the one, and given the properties of a normal distribution curve, when it does exist it won't be a treat to Bitcoin for years to come.  

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 09:35:54 PM

I'm pretty sure PPCoin offers pretty significant improvement over Bitcoin. There's no need for energy wasting PoW mining for starters, plus PPC is nearly impossible to 51% attack unless you hold 51% or more of all PPC in existence, which is not probable due to you will drive up the price so much you won't be able to afford it.

Or if you can get the holders of 51% of the currency to collude.  This type of attack is not possible with Bitcoin.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
yokosan

Activity: 700

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 10:41:21 PM

I'm waiting for a big company to make their own proprietary protocol branded cryptocoin so it can be pumped and then DUMPED.

The drama would be immense if a coin with more centralization overtook Bitcoins popularity in a short amount of time.

Paypalcoin Cheesy

It would be a massive ponzi in disguise, ideally lasting several years and screwing over hundreds of thousands of people in the crash.

God I miss pirate.
fr33d0miz3r

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:15:40 PM

I think that new cryptocoins with some great additional functions will be competitive, not with little changes.

Examples.

Bad:
Litecoin = like Bitcoin, but with 1 minute of transaction confirmation;
Novacoin (PPCoin, ShitCoin, BullshitCoin etc.) = like Bitcoin, but ... (I really don't know how they differ from bitcoin).

Good (just idea):
Freedomizer Coin = like Bitcoin PLUS some functions giving more economic and lifestyle freedom to us.

BTW, I think new cryptocurrencies with great ideas will be the competitors to Bitcoin, but they will not replace it.
lophie

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:22:37 AM

I'm waiting for a big company to make their own proprietary protocol branded cryptocoin so it can be pumped and then DUMPED.

The drama would be immense if a coin with more centralization overtook Bitcoins popularity in a short amount of time.

Paypalcoin Cheesy

It would be a massive ponzi in disguise, ideally lasting several years and screwing over hundreds of thousands of people in the crash.

God I miss pirate.

Ripple much?

FCTaiChi

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 04:56:50 AM

It has a lot to do with adoption of the community, and at the moment bitcoin fulfills everything it needs to.  For another currency to take it's place something drastic would have to change.  Banks pushing government regulation or some such thing.  Even then it is unlikely if bitcoin were to fail that something even remotely usable would be able to flourish in that ecosystem.  Everything points to btc atm.

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: