Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 03:54:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will another currency overtake bitcoins?  (Read 3332 times)
BitshireHashaway (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 08:08:13 PM

Bitcoins has had its run and I feel like with all the other crypto-currencies out there and the new ones being created every day, one of them is bound to take over bitcoins and become the next supreme leader. Do you guys believe that this is true, or do you think that it will never happen and why?
jhansen858

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:17:07 PM

I see no evidence that "bitcoin has seen its day".. Saying that is the same as saying "linux has seen its day"  I don't think either are going anywhere any time soon.  Bitcoin is like "open source money".  Its here to stay. 

Hi forum: 1DDpiEt36VTJsiJunyBc3XtG6CcSAnsQ4p
Streets 2.0

Activity: 490
Merit: 101

FRX: Ferocious Alpha

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:35:33 PM

I see no evidence that "bitcoin has seen its day".. Saying that is the same as saying "linux has seen its day"  I don't think either are going anywhere any time soon.  Bitcoin is like "open source money".  Its here to stay. 

100% agree, BTC is here and is not going anywhere for quite some time.  You may see it evolve and change to fit the needs of regular consumers, but it will not die and it certainly has not "had its day."  There is far to much interest and traction with this currency and its revolutionary impact cannot be denied, other crypto's are currently just cookie cutter copies of BTC.  LTC offers minimal advantages, its marketing is far to low at this point in the game and exposure was behind.  These other cryptocurrencies are simply pump and dump in my opinion, and the average consumer will not see them as a trust worthy option when they can just choose to use the proven stable that is BTC.

Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 08:58:15 PM

Bitcoins has had its run and I feel like with all the other crypto-currencies out there and the new ones being created every day, one of them is bound to take over bitcoins and become the next supreme leader. Do you guys believe that this is true, or do you think that it will never happen and why?

When another currency will have better parameters than bitcoin:
 - Network hashrate 92.142 Thash/s ( this year we will go above 250 Thash/s)
 - 30-day Volume 5,020,997 BTC ($526,510,678.15 USD)

Do you understand ? It tooks years of hard work. ( No copy/paste of open source and rename to shit-coin)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:02:13 PM

Litecoin is close but Ripple has, apparently, already done it.

http://www.thebitcointrader.com/2013/05/ripple-is-now-tsunami.html

Only reason that is the case is they have 100 Billion units.

LOL let's change Litecoin to have 1 trillion units then it will be > Bitcoin

What a weak ass argument.  Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:14:21 PM

Market cap really means nothing in essence when you can simply change the total units in circulation to any large number of your choosing.

Hardly a way to be > Bitcoin.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:15:45 PM

the argument is that they have a valuation of 1.3 billion USD... no?

" the XRP market cap is $1.43 billion USD."

That's big, no?  They say it's going to $10 billion?

Everybody can make nice site saying what they want. Bitcoin is able to prove.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:44:20 PM

Wait, I'm confused. 

"Market cap really means nothing in essence when you can simply change the total units in circulation"

I understand it's tied to the number of, in this case, coins... but it's also tied to a value.  They are saying there is $1.3 billion in ripple, no?

As I say I'm confused.

be confused. It is up to you. Do not confuse other. (bad karma)
skull88

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:51:32 PM

Litecoin is close but Ripple has, apparently, already done it.

http://www.thebitcointrader.com/2013/05/ripple-is-now-tsunami.html
So if I make a coin that has 1 billion coins and sell one for 1000$, I created a coin that is bigger than both of them? Shouldn't be that hard  Cheesy

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
Abandon

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 09:55:41 PM

Any decentralized currency that achieves instant (less than a minute) transactions, while remaining without vulnerability, will take off, leaving bitcoin in the dust. Yet there's a good chance that bitcoin might become this currency, or that this currency will not be possible in an ideal way.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:06:08 PM
Last edit: May 12, 2013, 10:21:28 PM by Odalv

Any decentralized currency that achieves instant (less than a minute) transactions, while remaining without vulnerability, will take off, leaving bitcoin in the dust. Yet there's a good chance that bitcoin might become this currency, or that this currency will not be possible in an ideal way.

Open Transactions as the next layer over bitcoin blockchain will work great.
a) very fast  .. under 1 ms
b) does not require transaction in blockchain (OT will use blockchain only for clearing ... 1 transaction daily/weekly/monthly/yearly? .. is enough)

EDIT: it will work even GOVERNMENT ban bitcoin, ... blockchain is your bank / (government can disable new transactions ) but he cannot change history. (already existing transactions)

EDIT2: I do not believe, it is possible to create an clone (alt-coin). ... you did not understand what is bitcoin, and all ideas not yet implemented in current bitcoin beta version.
Abandon

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:30:09 PM

b) does not require transaction in blockchain (OT will use blockchain only for clearing ... 1 transaction daily/weekly/monthly/yearly? .. is enough)

EDIT: it will work even GOVERNMENT ban bitcoin, ... blockchain is your bank / (government can disable new transactions ) but he cannot change history. (already existing transactions)

That's currently the only known method of instant transactions with crypto currencies, and is how Ripple itself works, yet it remains centralized. It can be destroyed, it can become malicious, it is not 100% safe, and won't be largely adopted by bitcoin enthusiasts.
dopamine

Activity: 486

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:37:00 PM

Markets will determine if bitcoins will get replace and so far nothing has come close to what bitcoins offer.

Bitcoinica still has not given me 50% of my claim of 600 BTC
INTERSANGO can go down with bitcoinica for abandoning customers
Alberto Armandi is a SCAMMER
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:37:03 PM

That's currently the only known method of instant transactions with crypto currencies, and is how Ripple itself works, yet it remains centralized. It can be destroyed, it can become malicious, it is not 100% safe, and won't be largely adopted by bitcoin enthusiasts.

Ripple is excellent example how it will not to work
1. centralized
2. malicious
3. not 100% safe
4. won't be largely adopted

... :-)
Abandon

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:38:57 PM

1. centralized
2. malicious
3. not 100% safe

I see now that it is not based on a centralized model or minority trust. I'll look into it further. Will it be adopted, you think?
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:44:25 PM
Last edit: May 12, 2013, 10:55:58 PM by Odalv

1. centralized
2. malicious
3. not 100% safe

I see now that it is not based on a centralized model or minority trust. I'll look into it further. Will it be adopted, you think?

In bitcoin community any bitcoin holder can choose how to spend his bitcoins.

EDIT: sell for $115 ($50, ... $1500) or rule the world
Abandon

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 11:12:29 PM

1. centralized
2. malicious
3. not 100% safe

In bitcoin community any bitcoin holder can choose how to spend his bitcoins.

EDIT: sell for $115 ($50, ... $1500) or rule the world

I like the idea behind Open Transactions, but it seems very cumbersome and clumsy. Way more hackish than bitcoin itself is. Not that it is without use or potential. But perhaps spread too thin.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:10:38 AM

1. centralized
2. malicious
3. not 100% safe

I disagree. I see Ripple as one of bitcoin's biggest threats. Not because it is better, but because it is worse, but in a convenient way.

All the points you mentioned (except for the last one) are irrelevant for consumers (and small businesses) who just want some convenient and cheap way to use "digital money".

The marketing of the Ripple team so far is impressive, and they try to position themselves in such a way that they seem to pose no threat to bitcoin.

In fact, they're actively trying to warm up the bitcoin community for their project -- they sort of want us to think of Ripple as "another layer on top of bitcoin". Maybe that's how it really is. No objection from me then. But I suspect the Ripple people wouldn't exactly object either in case Ripple manages to take the place of bitcoin as an actual currency and store of value.

tl;dr There's something decidedly disinenginous about the way Ripple markets itself, and I'm not completely sure the people behind it won't try, and perhaps even manage, to become a "bitcoin replacement". Don't underestimate them.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Zaih

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:16:21 AM

I think it's definitely a viable situation to keep in mind.

However, if so, it's not going to be any time soon. At this rate at least (unless people in high places are secretly working on something to take over with at this very moment Tongue)
xorglub

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:42:10 AM

Right now there are no coins that offer significant improvements over bitcoin. The cost of switching is too great - bitcoin has proven legitimacy, wide support across merchant platforms (well compared to other coins anyway...), and a much higher market cap allowing for a real economy to take place.

The only way for an alt-coin to replace it will either be a massive technological and/or practical advantage, or backing by a government/bank/other influential entity.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: