Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 04:26:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Merchants Accepting Bitcoins in Non-Bitcoin Related Industry?  (Read 2082 times)
hothothot1994 (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 12:02:14 AM

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am waiting to be upgraded from newbie status so I figured I'd try to start a discussion...

My hot sauce company has just started accepting Bitcoin as a payment method (no BTC sales yet unfortunately). Any other merchants out there that can share their experience accepting Bitcoins in a non-Bitcoin (non-tech) related industry? Has it worked out well? Has it helped with marketing? Any tips? Thanks!
K and A Traders

Activity: 20

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 12:15:52 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2013, 12:28:20 AM by K and A Traders

The rapid fluctuations in the price of BTC make it difficult for retail operations such as yourself.  One way to think about it is to ask yourself: are you willing to go to sleep each night with your revenue in BTC?  How would you react to waking up and being down 10%, 20%, 50%?  Would you be able to implement a stop loss system to minimize your losses?  Would you cash out at the end of each day to minimize losses?

I'm also posting to find out what your hot sauce company is.  I'd love to buy some.  Could you compare it to something I may be familiar with?
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 12:22:39 AM

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am waiting to be upgraded from newbie status so I figured I'd try to start a discussion...

My hot sauce company has just started accepting Bitcoin as a payment method (no BTC sales yet unfortunately). Any other merchants out there that can share their experience accepting Bitcoins in a non-Bitcoin (non-tech) related industry? Has it worked out well? Has it helped with marketing? Any tips? Thanks!

Yes, a link to your sauce company would be awesome.
K and A Traders

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 12:27:01 AM

I found it.  Throw his sig into Google.

HOT HOT HOT - The Original Hot Sauce Superstore Since 1994

They sell all kinds of hot sauce, not one particular kind.
bennett616

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

http://www.freebitcointips.co.uk/

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 12:28:14 AM

BTCh'n Salsa Tongue

http://btchnsalsa.webs.com/ Smiley

Andy B

kazriko

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 12:36:56 AM

I think many who accept bitcoin are using things like Coinbase where the money can be quickly converted to USD so they don't need to worry about the BTC price dropping.

I've actually debated buying PSN cards for people in other areas of the world using bitcoin as an exchange medium, but it's a bit on the risky side.
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 12:42:13 AM

Bitcoins are dangerous to accept now because of how much the price fluctuates. However, I believe if more and more retailers were to accept it the price would become more stable. The best thing you can do right now is implement a system that sells all your bitcoins if they drop a certain amount, say 10%
K and A Traders

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 12:47:18 AM

Bitcoins are dangerous to accept now because of how much the price fluctuates. However, I believe if more and more retailers were to accept it the price would become more stable. The best thing you can do right now is implement a system that sells all your bitcoins if they drop a certain amount, say 10%

Agree, with one exception.  If he's looking to invest in BTC, selling his hot sauce for BTC is one way to go about it.  In fact, he could implement a system where it would stop offering BTC as a payment method once he's reached his monthly BTC investment goal.
The Bitcoin Catalog

Activity: 238

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 01:03:09 AM

You can check out in our catalog. Quite a few merchants accepting bitcoin without being related to the industry.

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog
hothothot1994 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 02:13:49 AM

The rapid fluctuations in the price of BTC make it difficult for retail operations such as yourself.  One way to think about it is to ask yourself: are you willing to go to sleep each night with your revenue in BTC?  How would you react to waking up and being down 10%, 20%, 50%?  Would you be able to implement a stop loss system to minimize your losses?  Would you cash out at the end of each day to minimize losses?

I'm also posting to find out what your hot sauce company is.  I'd love to buy some.  Could you compare it to something I may be familiar with?

I use a merchant account with BitPay so I can either keep the bitcoins or have them instantly exchanged and a deposit in USD made to my bank account. Otherwise you are absolutely correct and it would be a huge risk.
hothothot1994 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 02:17:09 AM

[/quote]

Yes, a link to your sauce company would be awesome.
[/quote]

Thanks for the interest. It's: www.hothothot.com

We sell many different established brands, we do not make our own sauce.

If you have any other questions regarding my business/site in particular i'd be happy to answer them.
hothothot1994 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 02:18:44 AM

You can check out in our catalog. Quite a few merchants accepting bitcoin without being related to the industry.

Yes, I've actually seen your catalog before...I was mainly interested in talking to/networking with these merchants on the forum.

How can I get in the catalog? Is there a cost?
hothothot1994 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 12:21:54 AM

BTCUMP
The Bitcoin Catalog

Activity: 238

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 04:56:50 PM

Yes, I've actually seen your catalog before...I was mainly interested in talking to/networking with these merchants on the forum.

How can I get in the catalog? Is there a cost?

There is a free pdf on our website. You can also buy the printed edition.
If you need a catalog for promotional purpose, we can send you one for free, just PM me.

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog
Pepperot

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:59:49 PM

I think that by using bitcoins in almost every bussiness would eventually stabilize the bitcoin market as it's value would be invested in more stuff. 
hothothot1994 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 11:29:51 PM

Right, as an "investor" in Bitcoin. I'd like to see more people use them in commerce. That's the only way it will ever be accepted. I need to start practicing what I preach. But with the Gox/Dwolla situation, it will be hard to get more BTC in the short term...unless anyone wants to trade BTC for hot sauce!!
FCTaiChi

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 11:45:38 PM

Is it really that risky? 
Keep an app open that tells you when the price drops more than 6%...  there is one called Bitcoin Paranoid.

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
hothothot1994 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 11:56:08 PM

There are service providers that solely operate to mitigate this risk. BitPay is the one that I use which is probably the biggest. They will take any BTC purchase and either transfer it to your wallet or instantly exchange it to you local currency and deposit in your bank account. Fee is .99% which is way better than PayPal or a credit card processor.
BTCoder

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:44:02 AM

Thats awesome Kudos to your hot sauce company Cheesy
BTCoder

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:57:34 AM

Agree, with one exception.  If he's looking to invest in BTC, selling his hot sauce for BTC is one way to go about it.  In fact, he could implement a system where it would stop offering BTC as a payment method once he's reached his monthly BTC investment goal.

yep
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: