Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:08:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin/Crypto Market Cap: How to reasonably value it? Or any coin...  (Read 229 times)
Superfalcon (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 06:44:53 PM

Hi

I've started investing in Bitcoin and later in Ethereum 1.5 years ago and have been lucky to have made quite some profits even with my small investments. This year I have increased my investing and since day one I cost average my whole portfolio, as I do it with stocks etc. And I always have some money aside to buy some additional coins, once there is a significant drop. But in general I like my simple investment method of buying each week the same $ amount of coins.

But what I am struggling with is this year's rise of the whole market's market cap. I am not sure if I should pause my investing at the moment until the whole market corrects like 50%, or at least the alts. I mean I fully and 100% believe in the technology and the future of (some) amazing coins besides bitcoin of course. But this huge rise this year to 100bn really makes me wonder, what do you see as a reasonable cap in the future? It was obvious during this huge price increase that bitcoin is already more matured and bigger than most of the altcoins and was way less volatile than its competitors. But if some people talk about 100k or even a 1 Million bitcoin price, this would mean a crazy market cap for bitcoin alone and the whole segment in general. With roughly a 3k price at 40 bn, 100k would already be 1200bn, 1 million would be 12 trillion. I've seen a statistic that the whole US stock market values 25 trillion. And if the altcoin market stays roughly in the same relationship to bitcoin as today the whole market cap of the sector will be enormous.

So what do you think? Or is it wrong to focus too much on the market cap? I am for sure no crypto pro, but I wonder how some people advertise altcoins just because they are trading below 1 dollar, ten cent, or 1 cent and think the absolute values of the coin matter. But I guess at least this comparison to a "regular" company can be made, that market cap and number of coins is everything...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 07:38:35 PM

Hi

I've started investing in Bitcoin and later in Ethereum 1.5 years ago and have been lucky to have made quite some profits even with my small investments. This year I have increased my investing and since day one I cost average my whole portfolio, as I do it with stocks etc. And I always have some money aside to buy some additional coins, once there is a significant drop. But in general I like my simple investment method of buying each week the same $ amount of coins.

But what I am struggling with is this year's rise of the whole market's market cap. I am not sure if I should pause my investing at the moment until the whole market corrects like 50%, or at least the alts. I mean I fully and 100% believe in the technology and the future of (some) amazing coins besides bitcoin of course. But this huge rise this year to 100bn really makes me wonder, what do you see as a reasonable cap in the future? It was obvious during this huge price increase that bitcoin is already more matured and bigger than most of the altcoins and was way less volatile than its competitors. But if some people talk about 100k or even a 1 Million bitcoin price, this would mean a crazy market cap for bitcoin alone and the whole segment in general. With roughly a 3k price at 40 bn, 100k would already be 1200bn, 1 million would be 12 trillion. I've seen a statistic that the whole US stock market values 25 trillion. And if the altcoin market stays roughly in the same relationship to bitcoin as today the whole market cap of the sector will be enormous.

So what do you think? Or is it wrong to focus too much on the market cap? I am for sure no crypto pro, but I wonder how some people advertise altcoins just because they are trading below 1 dollar, ten cent, or 1 cent and think the absolute values of the coin matter. But I guess at least this comparison to a "regular" company can be made, that market cap and number of coins is everything...

The Crypto market only has so much volatility bcause a few hundreds whales or a few dozen whales dump their coins at certain times at the same time. It causes the price to go down by a bit then everyone panic sells for a few days to a week.

This last dump proved just that, and we recovered within the same day by almost what was lost. That is the whales buying back in, which then signals the dolphins and minnows it is time to buy again.

Whales always make the most money.

You may be a dolphin but could become a whale if you really follow what is going on closely and or use bots to buy/sell.

If I were you I would not buy crypto every day, you lose too much money doing that.

Buy the dips. ETH went from like 240 to 133, if you would have bought some you could have almost doubled your money.

Cryptos always reach the bottom of the floor for  that "dump", the floor is where the price stops going lower, once that is reached and it cannot go any lower, then the price should start to go up.

This is just my opinion though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: