Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:50:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin Mining - Crashing; Bitcoin Works  (Read 2544 times)
Blast12345 (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:44:52 AM

I bought a 6950 and got it put into a computer today.

I've installed Windows 7 onto the computer (Core 2 Quad 6600, 4 gigs of ram, can't remember mobo).

Well, I install the latest ATI/Catalyst Control Center drivers and the APP software. All goes well.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to matter what miner I use for Litecoin mining - they all crash. I've tried GUIMiner-scrypt, cgminer, and reaper [all the most current versions]. The programs launch, but the moment I try to start mining, they all hang and say "-name of software- has crashed"

On the flipside, all of my Bitcoin miners seem to work (GUIMiner, Bitminter, etc).

What gives? I'm pretty sure I'm doing this right because I ran litecoin mining off of my other computer using cudaMiner.

(Perhaps this is obvious, but I'm only attempting to mine off of the GPU, not the CPU)

I appreciate any insight you have to offer!
RichG

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:48:13 AM

You're running Windows?

That's your problem!

Cheesy
r3animation

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:50:11 AM

Just curious how a 1 time poster is allowed to post here?

To the OP, check your firewall, AV settings.
Blast12345 (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:54:14 AM

I just reinstalled Win7 today in hopes to fix this issue, so there is no antivirus installed at the moment but the problem is still present.

I've considered running Ubuntu haha, but the ability to mildly overclock with Afterburner is alluring, so I just want to make sure Windows is hopeless.
ymer

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:55:00 AM

I just reinstalled Win7 today in hopes to fix this issue, so there is no antivirus installed at the moment but the problem is still present.

I've considered running Ubuntu haha, but the ability to mildly overclock with Afterburner is alluring, so I just want to make sure Windows is hopeless.

Don't listen to RichG, you can mine just fine on windows.
Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:41:27 AM

Started mining LTC with Win7 Home Premier on 2r rigs 3 weeks ago.
Learned a lot from the Newbie section. Would not have made it without them.
Jus sayin......
Blast12345 (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:53:03 AM

Don't listen to RichG, you can mine just fine on windows.

I know mining with Windows works (like I said, I was doing it with my other computer), but for some reason this computer isn't wanting to work properly. If I can't get it working, I will need to switch to a linux distro.

@r3animation
I had to have my account manually activated. I never received any account activation email and I could not post on any board nor could I send PMs to mods.
Blast12345 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:51:05 AM

Well, Linux didn't go over well either. It took me all day to get cgminer properly installed along with the AMD APP drivers and alas, I could not mine. I did some reading and perhaps it is because the CPU is a Q6600 (no SSE4.1, so perhaps an issue with OpenCL)?

I popped the card out and put it into another (Phenom II X4 955, M4A79 Deluxe mobo) computer that had an ATI card already in it. Same issue more or less - the miners crash.

And, likewise, bitcoin mining works fine. Clearly I am doing something wrong if both computers are unable to mine litecoins...but what? Latest ATI Catalyst Control Center drivers, latest AMD APP SDK, and this time I am on a system that certainly has full support of OpenCL.

Now I remember why I hate ATI  Roll Eyes [love the cards, hate the drivers]
Mushoz

Activity: 686

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 06:54:31 AM

Reinstall Windows and use the 13.1 drivers. The 13.4 drivers tend to crash.

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:55:43 AM

An old trick I learned a long time ago was to set the minimum fan speed to 50%.  Sometimes your clockspeeds can be so aggressive, and the ambient temp high enough, that the card will immediately lock upon the first few seconds of mining.
Blast12345 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 07:00:04 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2013, 08:14:22 AM by Blast12345

An old trick I learned a long time ago was to set the minimum fan speed to 50%.  Sometimes your clockspeeds can be so aggressive, and the ambient temp high enough, that the card will immediately lock upon the first few seconds of mining.

As it so happens, I actually had the fan up to 65-70%. Idle was 40*C and Load (under bitcoin) was 70*C. I greatly appreciate the suggestion, but with my temps I don't think it is the cause of the issue.

On a side-note, I tried the card that was in the computer (4870x2) and that produced the same crash, so I can be confident that the issue is not related to the card and the odds of it being hardware related would be slim.

To add onto the thought that it is not the hardware, it would seem that a q6600 can support a litecoin miner:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131083.0
^^Incidentally, this is a fairly similar setup (same cpu, same ram), yet he appears to have not had any trouble with crashing...though he is on way older drivers.
phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 02:56:18 PM

I would say you are down to a 100% driver problem at this point.  Uninstall, clean up with drivercleaner, make sure OpenCL dll's are deleted from system32 and syswow64, reinstall 13.1 driver.
Blast12345 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 07:44:14 PM

I would say you are down to a 100% driver problem at this point.  Uninstall, clean up with drivercleaner, make sure OpenCL dll's are deleted from system32 and syswow64, reinstall 13.1 driver.

Thanks - Progress has been made! The miners would start, but GUIMiner would only pull stales and CGMiner would give me a "nonce - hw error". At least the programs run. I'm going to try rolling back to 12.8 drivers as that was a suggestion for the cgminer issue in another thread (incidentally, a 6950 as well). I will post back when I have more info.
aa

Activity: 544

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 07:52:46 PM

A lot of shit advice in this thread. This could have been solved in post #2 (if poster #2 hadn't been a moron).

I haven't tested drivers above 13.1, and you should use the current cgminer (3.1.1).

In Windows, cmd.exe, run this:
Code:
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1

Your cgminer.conf needs nothing more than to be very basic:
Code:
{
"pools" : [
{
"url" : "",
"user" : "",
"pass" : ""
}
],

"gpu-fan" : "100",
"intensity" : "20",
"queue" : "0",
"scrypt" : true,

"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin"
}

After your .bin file is created, you can add the thread-concurrency and worksize from the filename "xxxxxxxxxxxtcxxxxxwxxx".

Of course, after you're done setting up, set the fan speeds and overclocks to what you need.

lopalcar

Activity: 312
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:39:53 PM

I was having the same problem, in my case, in error description it said that the problem was caused by amdocl64.dll crashing whenever I run the miner, didn't allowing me to even change the conf file, my solution was download the original dll from here: http://es.originaldll.com/file/amdocl64.dll/8872.html and now is working fine
hope this help you  Cheesy
efx

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:28:50 PM

^ Really unnecessary.

A lot of shit advice in this thread. This could have been solved in post #2 (if poster #2 hadn't been a moron).

I haven't tested drivers above 13.1, and you should use the current cgminer (3.1.1).

Code:

Code:
{
{
}
],

}

After your .bin file is created, you can add the thread-concurrency and worksize from the filename "xxxxxxxxxxxtcxxxxxwxxx".

Of course, after you're done setting up, set the fan speeds and overclocks to what you need.

Indeed, not sure who the hell these people are running around giving 'advice'. It's damned annoying. Throw in a few linux noobs who think they are special for using terminal and the odd idiot who just likes to cause problems = 99% of the new bitcointalk alt section 'advisers'.

Anyways, as for driver version, I've tested basically every driver since 12.6 with scrypt mining....They *all* work with seemingly minor variation at most.
Blast12345 (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:38:53 AM

Code:

Code:
{
{
}
],

}

Thanks! I have it working now.

Also, I think that thread-concurrency was an issue as well. Anything above 6144 will cause it to crash.

Lastly, although it is now mining, I am getting a very high stale rate with CGMiner (2 accepted, like 10 rejected). GUIMiner is doing better, but perhaps this is a pool issue at the moment though because GUIMiner is at 14 accepted, 4 rejected atm. - Burnsides Pool

Edit: I tried running on the coinotron pool. CGMiner will throw an error about "hashrate above target" when I run with coinotron using stratum, but guiminer has given me 100% acceptance rate using coinotron.
aa

Activity: 544

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 02:52:40 AM

Code:

Code:
{
{
}
],

}

Also, I think that thread-concurrency was an issue as well. Anything above 6144 will cause it to crash.

Lastly, although it is now mining, I am getting a very high stale rate with CGMiner (2 accepted, like 10 rejected). GUIMiner is doing better, but perhaps this is a pool issue at the moment though because GUIMiner is at 14 accepted, 4 rejected atm. - Burnsides Pool

Edit: I tried running on the coinotron pool. CGMiner will throw an error about "hashrate above target" when I run with coinotron using stratum, but guiminer has given me 100% acceptance rate using coinotron.

I'm sure guiminer uses some non-standard settings. There could still be an issue with your thread-concurrency. Did you try values above 10000? 6970 runs great with 14208 (my 6950 is flashed to 6970).

Blast12345 (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:12:37 AM

Code:

Code:
{
{
}
],

}

I'm sure guiminer uses some non-standard settings. There could still be an issue with your thread-concurrency. Did you try values above 10000? 6970 runs great with 14208 (my 6950 is flashed to 6970).

I tried higher values and no go. In GUIMiner the highest I can run at is 6400
RustyShackleford1950

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:42:39 AM

Does it matter? Bitcoin is more profitable than litecoin now.

On keyboard, the big d, rusty shackleford
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: