Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:07:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help filling out ANAC's terrible submission form.  (Read 455 times)
rjk (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 04:19:47 PM

Guys, I want to submit a couple of 2011 Casascius coins to ANACS for grading, but filling out their form is proving to be a challenge. If I understand this correctly, they will use whatever I write in the "Variety" field without modification as the title on the coin case? If so, what is the correct thing to write there? Should I use the "variety attribution verification and errors" service to make sure that is done correctly, or is it not necessary?

It also says max value $100 - does that mean I am not allowed to put in a value that exceeds $100 in the "Owners Value" field? How is return shipping insured? I don't have a FedEx/UPS account.

These rounds are loaded, but have visible discoloration from the brass tarnishing. Will they still be grade-able or should I not even send them in because of that?
Any suggestions are welcome. This is the first time I've tried doing such a thing as grading coins - total n00b here. Are there any other services that will grade bitcoins? Preferably any with a nice online webform and submission process?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rjk (OP)

1ngldh

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 04:34:22 PM

Picture:

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
dazedfool
Legendary

Activity: 1511
Merit: 1127

derp

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 04:39:29 PM

ANACS will use what you put in for Variety to match their catalog of coin titles. Notice how most slabbed coins have a consistent
"2011 TOKEN CASASCIUS 1 BITCOIN BRASS (firstbits)" or some such title

No need to pay variety attribution verification fee.

Max value is 100usd per coin on crypto. They will insure for a max of 100usd back to you. They generally ship Fedex.

Natural tarnish or toning is not necessarily a negative. Artificial tarnish (fingerprints, oils, waterspots, etc) is negative. Cleaning or polishing is also bad.

The big two (PCGS and NGC) do not do crypto coins/tokens. There is a UK outfit (CGS?) that does grade these coins I believe.

How's the holo side of your coin look?
rjk (OP)

1ngldh

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 04:54:56 PM

ANACS will use what you put in for Variety to match their catalog of coin titles. Notice how most slabbed coins have a consistent

Max value is 100usd per coin on crypto. They will insure for a max of 100usd back to you. They generally ship Fedex.

Natural tarnish or toning is not necessarily a negative. Artificial tarnish (fingerprints, oils, waterspots, etc) is negative. Cleaning or polishing is also bad.

The big two (PCGS and NGC) do not do crypto coins/tokens. There is a UK outfit (CGS?) that does grade these coins I believe.

Thanks for the info. The holo side super nice, the plastic part is totally unblemished although the remaining brass area is similar to the front, i.e. slightly spotty or dull. When I got these things, I paid like BTC3.47 for both with shipping from Mike, in June of 2012. At that time, the MtGox BTC-USD daily closing price was around $6.50 so I kind of tossed them around and left them in a drawer for a while with no special attention.

rjk (OP)

1ngldh

View Profile
July 20, 2017, 05:19:10 PM

Cool, I found the ANACS' population report page for these: http://www.anacs.com/Populations/PopReport.aspx?params=0cOpZS2qVO7ri%2f1FI7sHBw40izibhWKmgob%2bVoVj67wvCBXseHvviQ%3d%3d
Looks like they have graded 365 of this specific year!
It would appear that the variety I need to write in is "CASASCIUS 1 BITCOIN" to match their catalog.

European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 02:56:16 PM

there's no way of increasing that? if i had something like a 10 or 25 btc coin i couldn't bring myself to risk it. i'd have to fly there and wait in a motel until they were finished.
Lesbian Cow
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1752

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 03:56:19 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2017, 04:45:50 PM by Lesbian Cow

there's no way of increasing that? if i had something like a 10 or 25 btc coin i couldn't bring myself to risk it. i'd have to fly there and wait in a motel until they were finished.

ANACS is often at regional coin shows and you may submit in person and have them graded on the spot and returned to you slabbed.

Otherwise, no, ANACS will only insure the return shipment to you at $100 per coin.

To err is human, to moo is bovine

https://www.instagram.com/lesbiancow212/
rjk (OP)

1ngldh

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 12:49:21 PM

I sent it off and will hope for the best. Since their population report shows that they have graded 365 of these coins, I'll consider that proof enough that there should be no issue, I just have to trust that the post office doesn't fuck up.

EDIT: When they first started grading them, they were worth about $10 USD and they probably never figured out that the price went up since then. Also when I emailed them, they said it was only to cover the value of the metal, but even then $100 is kind of high for a brass token.

Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2017, 02:25:39 PM

I sent it off and will hope for the best. Since their population report shows that they have graded 365 of these coins, I'll consider that proof enough that there should be no issue, I just have to trust that the post office doesn't fuck up.

EDIT: When they first started grading them, they were worth about $10 USD and they probably never figured out that the price went up since then. Also when I emailed them, they said it was only to cover the value of the metal, but even then $100 is kind of high for a brass token.

Actually, the $100 limit is newer since the value of crypto is so high now (added when they changed the form to allow crypto coins).. ANACS is protecting themselves in the event they lose one. Shame I just noticed this thread or I would have filled out an example form for you...I have sent coins a few times to ANACS. 
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2017, 08:39:26 PM

One option is limiting the distance and complexity of shipping from ANACS. If you have a friend or family member in the US (particularly close to Colorado where ANACS is located) you could have ANACS ship to that person and then have them send you the package fully insured from their location onward.
Zepher
Copper Member

Activity: 686
Merit: 603

Electricity is really just organized lightning

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 08:45:17 PM

CGS in the UK sadly closed their doors a good while ago now, around a year if memory serves. The only option left is ANACS, for anyone in the world at this moment in time.

My only payment address: 1ZephertJThxkHih7XcaUHBkMSnvkTt5u
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2017, 09:06:55 PM

CGS in the UK sadly closed their doors a good while ago now, around a year if memory serves. The only option left is ANACS, for anyone in the world at this moment in time.
Really? That sucks, they are terrible at grading cryptocurrency coins Undecided

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀