Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:30:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire risk reduction/suppresion?  (Read 1188 times)
DeveloperFish (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 08:27:25 AM

I've got a couple of machines now mining 24/7 in my garage, and planning on adding 2 more machines.

Heat is an issue, I'm blowing (then venting) the majority of that, but I'm curious if anyone else has installed any kind of standalone fire suppression system. Clearly installing an alarm above the machines is easy, but with these machines running unattended for days (and on a few occasions a year, weeks), I would feel better if there was an easy way to set up a suppression system above the machines.

Any guidance/thoughts/experiences to share?

- DeveloperFish

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
razorfishsl

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 08:57:26 AM

fire suppression is for pussies.

Mine like a man, just remove ALL flammable items, and ensure you vent the smoke.

But if you want to be a pussy go for CO2 , many of the current fire suppression materials will destroy computer & electronic equipment or people..... (yep they don't tell you that)

Buy a cheap fire sensor, link the output thru a relay to  something that just connects live to earth Via a resistor to trigger the ECB on your equipment.

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
NorthChileanG

Activity: 15

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 10:16:07 AM

You can get rack mountable fire suppressors, but they are not cheap. Easiest would be to use canister of CO2 with temperature sensitive release - either temperature to pressure converter acting valve or simply melting tube (not that good on long term).

Heat is an issue, I'm blowing (then venting) the majority of that, but I'm curious if anyone else has installed any kind of standalone fire suppression system. Clearly installing an alarm above the machines is easy, but with these machines running unattended for days (and on a few occasions a year, weeks), I would feel better if there was an easy way to set up a suppression system above the machines.

tom_o

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:29:09 AM

I noticed the other day a fan going very slowly and vibrating, bearings had gone and the hub motor smelled of badly burnt plastic. Careful guys!
razorfishsl

Activity: 399

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 10:56:43 PM

I noticed the other day a fan going very slowly and vibrating, bearings had gone and the hub motor smelled of badly burnt plastic. Careful guys!

The issue is getting hold of  DECENT fans... not the cheap shite made in a rice field in China
Many of these "fans" are made on cheap molding equipment with shitty tools and low pressure or poor pressure control, this results in the moulded fine parts being like sand paper , generally they do not last long.

Sunon do a "mag lev" series, none of those shitty leaky bearings or stupid plastic split rings to keep the fan blades in position.

They cut the air at 7500 RPM and since the blades have a decent edge, there is very little noise.

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 07:10:41 AM

I use bathroom fans... They last forever.

Fire suppression... You need a "non-liquid" rated for "electrical". (Baking soda)

Put a bunch of boxes above the computers. If they catch fire, they burn and drop the powder.

Cheap, effective, legal, certified.

However, electronic equipment should be in an electrical box, made for restricting or containing open flames. (Eg, a case.)
gbx

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:01:08 PM

Fire suppression... You need a "non-liquid" rated for "electrical". (Baking soda)

Put a bunch of boxes above the computers. If they catch fire, they burn and drop the powder.

However, electronic equipment should be in an electrical box, made for restricting or containing open flames. (Eg, a case.)

That's a damn good idea right there.

If the computers do catch fire, they should be limited to only what's around them.  Hopefully you put them on the floor (cement) or bakers rack, or a table that has a formica top.  Keep all the bundles of kindling and other fuel sources away from this area.  You should be OK.  Check your insurance to make sure you have enough coverage in case of a loss (insurance riders for things you are heavy on, etc).
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 08:46:02 PM

LOL. If a box is on fire enough to crumple, then a bag of baking soda wouldn't do shit. The ceiling will be so hot from the fumes it will already be on fire.

TomKeddie

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:53:58 PM

In general electrical fires will go out if the source of energy is removed early on.  Consider hooking up a power disable to the smoke detector with a latching relay circuit.
Lethos

Activity: 476

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 11:07:50 PM

I read up on one Datacenter recently which had a different approach to fire suppression. They have their entire floor(s) operating with a lower O2 levels (oxygen %), which by dropping by half (I think) makes it nearly impossible for a fire to even start. So they don't need to risk damaging the servers using something to put it out. It's technically still breathable, though I suppose it wouldn't be comfortable for long periods of time.

Obviously I'd imagine that be difficult to do on a small scale, but figured I'd throw the idea out there.

roflplatypus

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:46:01 AM

just out of curiosity, are you planning on having your rig hit ~200C? otherwise, nothing should catch fire, but think about this - when was the last time your read about a building burning down from a server overheating?
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:48:14 AM

Cheap fire detection.  Cheesy

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 03:02:32 AM

just out of curiosity, are you planning on having your rig hit ~200C? otherwise, nothing should catch fire, but think about this - when was the last time your read about a building burning down from a server overheating?

Because of something called fire suppression.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: