Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:17:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BIP 91 activation is scheduled to take place in: 350 Blocks  (Read 1625 times)
iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 02:56:47 PM

Well, it is locked in yes.

Could the miners pull out and not activate it? That remains to be seen. They could completely do a fake on us all and crash it hard. They probably won't though.

It will be done sometime in the next day or two.

We will see!
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 03:12:06 PM

So if the initial segwit is activated, does this mean that things will move faster and cheaper for everyone?

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/bip-91-has-activated-heres-what-means-and-what-it-does-not/

Although well over 80 percent of hash power has signaled bit 4 for BIP 91 lock in, this doesn’t actually guarantee anything. Most importantly, it doesn’t in itself mean that these miners will signal bit 1 for SegWit.

Indeed, so far, most miners don’t. Currently, the proportion of miners signaling bit 1 is still far lower than BIP 91 activation would suggest. It is even lower than 50 percent.

Moreover, BIP 91 will probably be enforced by hardly any economically relevant nodes; that is, nodes operated by users that accept bitcoins as payment. Almost no Bitcoin users on the network recognize BIP 91 or its bit 4 signaling at all, and will therefore continue to accept blocks with or without bit 1.
SONG GEET

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 06:11:51 PM

Isn't segwit2x only good for miners and bad for everybody else? That's what I've read.
How it can be bad for normal bitcoin users? It will make bitcoin transactions cheaper and faster again and also opens doors for lightening network which will add lots of new features and possibility to bitcoin and it will make transactions instant.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 06:47:23 PM

Isn't segwit2x only good for miners and bad for everybody else? That's what I've read.
How it can be bad for normal bitcoin users? It will make bitcoin transactions cheaper and faster again and also opens doors for lightening network which will add lots of new features and possibility to bitcoin and it will make transactions instant.

So here comes the question... What will happen in the future, if the 2MB block size also becomes incapable of handling all the transactions? I am asking this, because the number of users have risen by many times during the past 2 years. We can expect the momentum to be maintained in the near-future as well. So what will happen if the problem with delayed transactions and high fees occur once more after one or two years?
joshy23

Activity: 1078
Merit: 256

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 06:58:39 PM

Well, it is locked in yes.

Could the miners pull out and not activate it? That remains to be seen. They could completely do a fake on us all and crash it hard. They probably won't though.

It will be done sometime in the next day or two.

We will see!

BIP91 LOCKED-IN
229 blocks until rejecting non-SegWit blocks. https://www.xbt.eu/

I don't think the miners would do such a thing. Want benefit will it bring? They will just crash resulting to investors losing trust in the bitcoin technology.

So here comes the question... What will happen in the future, if the 2MB block size also becomes incapable of handling all the transactions? I am asking this, because the number of users have risen by many times during the past 2 years. We can expect the momentum to be maintained in the near-future as well. So what will happen if the problem with delayed transactions and high fees occur once more after one or two years?

Then we will have the same situation all over again. Drama, FUD, Debate and Civil War. Well, let's just enjoy the ride for the next 2-5 years or so before seeing it again. Hah, the soap opera will continue again.  Grin
Meuh6879
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 08:16:20 PM

Update : https://www.xbt.eu/ (144 Blocks)

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 04:24:30 AM

Now the BIP 141 is trying to lock in. But this time, it needs 95% and so far only 51.2% of the blocks have signaled it. So it is not projected to lock in during this signalling period. But I have high hopes for the next signaling period, because 94.4% of the blocks which were mined today supported the SegWit (the BIP 141 version).
Konthol Ngaceng

Activity: 646
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 04:38:55 AM

Now the BIP 141 is trying to lock in. But this time, it needs 95% and so far only 51.2% of the blocks have signaled it. So it is not projected to lock in during this signalling period. But I have high hopes for the next signaling period, because 94.4% of the blocks which were mined today supported the SegWit (the BIP 141 version).
Then what should we do with this news, do we have to sell all bitcoin to fiat? I'm also worried about the BIP 91 issue that made me sell 1.75 btc a few days ago.
ryanben

Activity: 266
Merit: 114

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 04:58:50 AM

More than 93% of miners have signaled support to BIP91 and this is only the first stage in upgrading the SegWit2x system. The upgrade process has not ended here, the lock-in phase of BIP91 will end in two days to wait for miners to activate the software, which will take another 2 weeks for SegWit to deploy. After entering stage 2 of SegWit2x requires 100% consensus from the miners and this phase will decide for the future context  Smiley

Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 05:04:32 AM

Then what should we do with this news, do we have to sell all bitcoin to fiat? I'm also worried about the BIP 91 issue that made me sell 1.75 btc a few days ago.

if you get scared of things you don't understand or generally if you are scared with each bump on the road then you did the best thing to sell because bitcoin will have these types of drama and bumps on the road until it reaches $10,000 and you won't last long with a weak heart Wink

Only Bitcoin
btcforchild

Activity: 122
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 05:15:17 AM

I think it's a good news for us all bitcoin holders, it never hurts to hold bitcoin inside our wallet before going to the moon
Joohansson

Activity: 212
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 05:30:28 AM

What does bip91 activation mean exactly? They still need to lock in and activate bip141, right? That require 95% and if I understood correct that will be reached much more easily now when bip91 soon starts to reject non-segwit blocks? Was that the whole purpose of bip91?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 05:39:52 AM

What does bip91 activation mean exactly? They still need to lock in and activate bip141, right? That require 95% and if I understood correct that will be reached much more easily now when bip91 soon starts to reject non-segwit blocks? Was that the whole purpose of bip91?

to force the activation of bip141, to get other miners to follow the activation and reject as you said the non-segwit blocks http://www.coindesk.com/bip-91-locks-means-bitcoin-not-scaled-yet/

i have missed that its by bitmain so they are pro segwit, but not segwit2x...it's becoming a chaos...
pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 12:13:00 PM

Now this has just become more confusing. So BIP 141 locking in is a good thing, right? If that and BIP 91 fails how does BIP 148 fit in with the whole scenario? Will miners be forced to activate Segwit then?
Meuh6879
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 12:15:35 PM

That's why i survey the version of Blocks ... every 12h.

BIP9 signaling (more than 95%) : http://bitcoin.sipa.be/versions.html

https://www.xbt.eu/ (144 Blocks)
erpbridge
Legendary

Activity: 954
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 02:05:56 PM

Can someone explain how does the introduction of this BIP activation bring changes to the confirmations required by websites ?

I noticed nitrogen made an announcement that now they will require 6 confirmations due to the BIP activation.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: