Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:54:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why hasn't everyone switched to Monero already?  (Read 1690 times)
bitwolf (OP)

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 06:22:51 AM

https://www.europol.europa.eu/newsroom/news/massive-blow-to-criminal-dark-web-activities-after-globally-coordinated-operation

Monero is the only most secure, most private, most anonymous cryptocoin in the world. A bit large blockchain but you can't have everything(btw multiple light wallets impls. are coming and you already has the possibility to use remote nodes if you want instant usability). The security, privacy, stability and anonymity was the main reason for the cryptoworld to even exists. Bitcoin at its beginning was praised and endorsed by the people because they thought and it was advertised as super duper secure, private and anon and in the same time super fast and super cheap. It turned out it is none of them. Even the last two "hopes" are very inaccurate lately. Now you have Monero which actually is the only one coin that really combines these qualities and the community somehow forgets about it.  I feel like the cryptoworld now is run by speculations, corporations, pump/dump groups, PRs and bribes.  Where did the technical aspect go?  Monero has dozens active developers but even the Bytecoin from time to time gets pumped to Monero cap - wtf really? - bytecoin devs haven't had anything written on the code in the last year - only the patch that covers the cryptonote vulnerability found by the Monero devs. The market logic is simply laughable. And in order for this unique coin Monero to have more adoption the cryptocommunity really has to take out its head from the hole and stop turning away from the main crypto principles.
redhack
Legendary

Activity: 1860
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 11:50:52 AM

Monero doesn't even have a working GUI for last user. If we compare crypto currencies to fashion, Monero isn't popping anymore. They are not trending. Ethereum and WAVES based tokens take over the market. People don't need Monero to stay anonymous.
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 579

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 12:23:37 PM

Monero is the only most secure,
define secure and how security of monero is different than other cryptocurrencies. lets say bitcoin for example

1. A bit large blockchain but you can't have everything
2. (btw multiple light wallets impls. are coming and you already has the possibility to use remote nodes if you want instant usability).
you have already answered your question with these 2 points. and on top of that is the adoption, when a coin has no usage (apart from some scattered darknet usages) people will only invest in it. and these "people" are traders only.

Bitcoin at its beginning was praised and endorsed by the people because they thought and it was advertised as super duper secure, private and anon and in the same time super fast and super cheap. It turned out it is none of them. Even the last two "hopes" are very inaccurate lately.
please don't bash things you don't understand.
bitcoin is the most secure cryptocurrency in both code and network. and i am genuinely looking forward to reading what you have to say to my previous question.
it is private, and it gives you a good level of privacy and privacy is a bit different from anonymity
bitcoin has never supposed to be 100% anonymous. that is why Monero exists and why we use it when we want more anonymity. but nobody promised bitcoin is anonymous. if you heard it from someone, that person was confused.
bitcoin is fast enough and it has been cheap over the course of its existance which is nearly 9 years. if your whole measure for bitcoin fees is the previous couple of months only then your measure is wrong. and fees are "super duper" low again.
and i would love to see how Monero will work under different types of attack.

Now you have Monero which actually is the only one coin that really combines these qualities and the community somehow forgets about it.  I feel like the cryptoworld now is run by speculations, corporations, pump/dump groups, PRs and bribes.  Where did the technical aspect go?  Monero has dozens active developers but even the Bytecoin from time to time gets pumped to Monero cap - wtf really? - bytecoin devs haven't had anything written on the code in the last year - only the patch that covers the cryptonote vulnerability found by the Monero devs. The market logic is simply laughable. And in order for this unique coin Monero to have more adoption the cryptocommunity really has to take out its head from the hole and stop turning away from the main crypto principles.

i agree with most of this part and it is sad. the altcoin scene has turned into an ICO machine that creates useless junk and platforms like etherum has made it easy and is gaining an undeserved attention while good projects like Monero are going unnoticed.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
Bowtiesarecool

Activity: 1050
Merit: 295

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 04:51:15 PM

Suddenly, this thread has my attention.
bitwolf (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 05:00:08 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2017, 05:21:12 AM by bitwolf

Monero doesn't even have a working GUI for last user. If we compare crypto currencies to fashion, Monero isn't popping anymore. They are not trending. Ethereum and WAVES based tokens take over the market. People don't need Monero to stay anonymous.
There is  a working GUI since 8 months.
https://getmonero.org/downloads/

Monero is the only most secure,
define secure and how security of monero is different than other cryptocurrencies. lets say bitcoin for example
1. A bit large blockchain but you can't have everything
2. (btw multiple light wallets impls. are coming and you already has the possibility to use remote nodes if you want instant usability).
you have already answered your question with these 2 points. and on top of that is the adoption, when a coin has no usage (apart from some scattered darknet usages) people will only invest in it. and these "people" are traders only.

Bitcoin at its beginning was praised and endorsed by the people because they thought and it was advertised as super duper secure, private and anon and in the same time super fast and super cheap. It turned out it is none of them. Even the last two "hopes" are very inaccurate lately.
please don't bash things you don't understand.
bitcoin is the most secure cryptocurrency in both code and network. and i am genuinely looking forward to reading what you have to say to my previous question.
it is private, and it gives you a good level of privacy and privacy is a bit different from anonymity
bitcoin has never supposed to be 100% anonymous. that is why Monero exists and why we use it when we want more anonymity. but nobody promised bitcoin is anonymous. if you heard it from someone, that person was confused.
bitcoin is fast enough and it has been cheap over the course of its existance which is nearly 9 years. if your whole measure for bitcoin fees is the previous couple of months only then your measure is wrong. and fees are "super duper" low again.
and i would love to see how Monero will work under different types of attack.

Now you have Monero which actually is the only one coin that really combines these qualities and the community somehow forgets about it.  I feel like the cryptoworld now is run by speculations, corporations, pump/dump groups, PRs and bribes.  Where did the technical aspect go?  Monero has dozens active developers but even the Bytecoin from time to time gets pumped to Monero cap - wtf really? - bytecoin devs haven't had anything written on the code in the last year - only the patch that covers the cryptonote vulnerability found by the Monero devs. The market logic is simply laughable. And in order for this unique coin Monero to have more adoption the cryptocommunity really has to take out its head from the hole and stop turning away from the main crypto principles.

i agree with most of this part and it is sad. the altcoin scene has turned into an ICO machine that creates useless junk and platforms like etherum has made it easy and is gaining an undeserved attention while good projects like Monero are going unnoticed.
Monero hasn't been hacked, hasn't been rebranded, hasn't been 1000 times critically patched and no government or agency has or can have any data on your transactions. Even in the last case with AB days ago: https://twitter.com/fluffypony/status/888150675946782720                
This means secure.
But hey if you mean only about bruteforce than - yeah - I'm no math pro. Probably equal secure.
About the usage - ehh   that's what the question is - why you don't adopt it more???  You prefer everyone to know what who you are, what you have , your earnings, your hobbies, your buys, your sells??? Btw same thing is valid for your children too. It's not very comfortable thought eh ? And btw blockchain is big but privacy always needs extra bytes. And I really doubt that anyone will stop at several extra gbytes on his ssd. Come on...
Uhde

Activity: 616
Merit: 124

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 07:10:48 AM

Because monero is time wasting.
I found that project and liked it very much 6 months ago. and i invested. Waited for a few months. And there was no any even minor change at the price. But other projects were jumping like hell. so i sold them for the same price after 3 months.Now the price is 0.0149 btc. when i bought it it was 0.017. So good that i sold them all.
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 579

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 10:55:50 AM

Monero hasn't been hacked, hasn't been rebranded, hasn't been 1000 times critically patched and
you said monero is the "most" secure cryptocurrency. none of these are the reason. and these are also true about most other altcoins too.

and for the record i am not saying Monero is not safe, i was just looking for the reason why you said the most!

no government or agency has or can have any data on your transactions. Even in the last case with AB days ago: https://twitter.com/fluffypony/status/888150675946782720                 
This means secure.
this means the best/most anonymous coin.

About the usage - ehh   that's what the question is - why you don't adopt it more???  You prefer everyone to know what who you are, what you have , your earnings, your hobbies, your buys, your sells??? Btw same thing is valid for your children too. It's not very comfortable thought eh ? And btw blockchain is big but privacy always needs extra bytes. And I really doubt that anyone will stop at several extra gbytes on his ssd. Come on...
well the argument is not with me, i agree. it is just seems like nobody else does. people don't care about this much anonymity.

I found that project and liked it very much 6 months ago. and i invested. Waited for a few months. And there was no any even minor change at the price. But other projects were jumping like hell. so i sold them for the same price after 3 months.Now the price is 0.0149 btc. when i bought it it was 0.017. So good that i sold them all.

if profit is all you care about then invest in a pump and dump shitcoin and enjoy the 1000% rise in half a day and be fast because otherwise you will be burried under the -99.99% dump

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
ActiveP

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 11:00:34 AM

You speak as an investor, there is more to monero than just holding and waiting for a profit. Others will point to the fact that recently its price is more or less stable.
cabslock

Activity: 69
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 11:01:11 AM

I believed in Monero about 5-6 months ago, but then Fluffy made a stupid promo move and that made me say fuck it. Also the updates are extremely rare.
CoinCollector006

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 03:23:43 PM

The reason Monero has not taken off is because of competition. Crypto investors have allocations to Monero, ZEC, Verge, DigitalNote, Aeon, Boolberry, Zclassic, Zencash, Spectrecoin, Hush. At this point its not clear which coin will be chosen for mass adoption. I think you need an allocation to several of them.

░▓██████████████░
    ░▒██            ▒██▒░         ▓█████▓                               ░█████▒               ███                   
█████▓░     ██████░   ▒▓████      ██░░░▓█▓                             ▒███▒▓███              ███                     
██        █▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓█▓▒    ██     ▒█▓    ██                             ███   ▒██▒                                 
▓█      ░█▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓█░  █▓     ▓█▒   ▒█▓  ░████▓    █████   ░█████▓  ██▓    ██▓  ███████▓   ▓██   ▒█████▓   ███████▓
░█░    ░█▓▒▒░░░░░▒ ░▒██  ░█░     ██    ██░  ██  ▓█▒  ██░ ▒█▓  ▓█▓  ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███▒ ▓███  ███  ▒██▓ ▒██▒  ███▒ ▓███
 ██    ██▒░░░▒▒ ░░▒▒▓█▒  ██     ▒█▓    ██  ██   ▒█▒ ▓█░   █▓  ██   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███   ███
 ▒█░ ░▒█▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒█ ░█▒     ▓█░   ▒█▓  ███████  ███████░ ░█▓   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
  ██ ░██▓▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒░░░█░ ██      ██    ██░ ▒█▓░▒░░  ░█▓░▒░░░  ▓█░  ▒█▒  ██▓    ██▓  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
   ██  █▓██▓▒▒▒▒░▒▒▓█▒ ██      ▒█▓   ░██  ██       ▓█░       ██   ██   ███   ▒██▒  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███  ░███
    ██    ▒▓███████▓  ██       ██▒  ▒██   ██  ░██  ▓█░  ██░ ░██  ▓█▓   ▓██▓▒▒███   ███  ░███  ███  ░██▓░▓██▒  ███  ░███
     ██░       ░    ░██        ██████▓    ▒█████   ░█████░  ▓█████▓     ▒█████▓    ███  ░███  ███   ▒█████▒   ███  ░███
      ▒██          ██▒                                      ██                                                   
        ▒██░     ▓██                                       ▒█▓                                                         
          ▓██░ ▓██░                                        ██░                                                         
            ▒██▓
Tor Integrated & Secured
cryptimus prime

Activity: 493
Merit: 551

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 03:46:02 PM

The reason Monero has not taken off is because of competition. Crypto investors have allocations to Monero, ZEC, Verge, DigitalNote, Aeon, Boolberry, Zclassic, Zencash, Spectrecoin, Hush. At this point its not clear which coin will be chosen for mass adoption.

lol

Of all those coins only XMR and ZCash have a real development a bunch of developers and real peer reviewed cryptography as also cryptographers (Monero hired recently 2 PhD mathematicians) behind them, the other coins are just a joke for pump and dump. Boolberry for example is completely dead, but good you collect it. Cheesy Only a complete noob would insert all those other coins in one bag as "competition" to XMR. Only noobs invest into those pseudoanonymous coins because of their wet dreams and hopes to become millionairs. Wont happen. You think anybody who needs privacy will trust those coins? Also not going to happen. The XMR community is huge, active and growing while those coins have only a couple of members waiting for their coin to moon. In the last years I have seen a lot of coins come and go, but XMR stays.

Zcash has some problems like trusted setup and the devs want to include a possibility to deanonymize specific transactions afterwards and to invalidate accounts which are not used (cold wallets).
tittensor

Activity: 443
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 04:24:17 PM

The reason Monero has not taken off is because of competition. Crypto investors have allocations to Monero, ZEC, Verge, DigitalNote, Aeon, Boolberry, Zclassic, Zencash, Spectrecoin, Hush. At this point its not clear which coin will be chosen for mass adoption.

lol

Of all those coins only XMR and ZCash have a real development a bunch of developers and real peer reviewed cryptography as also cryptographers (Monero hired recently 2 PhD mathematicians) behind them, the other coins are just a joke for pump and dump. Boolberry for example is completely dead, but good you collect it. Cheesy Only a complete noob would insert all those other coins in one bag as "competition" to XMR. Only noobs invest into those pseudoanonymous coins because of their wet dreams and hopes to become millionairs. Wont happen. You think anybody who needs privacy will trust those coins? Also not going to happen. The XMR community is huge, active and growing while those coins have only a couple of members waiting for their coin to moon. In the last years I have seen a lot of coins come and go, but XMR stays.

Zcash has some problems like trusted setup and the devs want to include a possibility to deanonymize specific transactions afterwards and to invalidate accounts which are not used (cold wallets).

Yes, the community of XMR is huge and not easy to control the price this coin. With me, Monero is best choice holding long term after Bitcoin instead choose Ethereum as the crowd did. Although, in recently have some issue about Alphabay and some website undergound use XMR are offline down and make the price of XMR falldown more, but I still believe the future XMR will have markepcap 1 billion soon
dranster

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 04:25:27 PM

Because Monero is run by an Egoistic Cult that is headed by Fluffypony
CoinCollector006

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 05:10:31 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2017, 04:50:48 AM by CoinCollector006

lol

I agree with Mr. cryptimus prime that XMR is the strongest technology of the group of privacy coins and for this reason have overweighted Monero versus other coin allocations. But investing is about divining the future, not recounting facts from the past. I am up about 25% on my Monero investment and increased recently during the selloff. Monero is a $617M market cap so I feel this is a 2 to 4 bagger at best over the 2 to 4 year time horizon.

Verge is a 20x bagger so far from my average purchase price and currently sits at a 44M market cap with a dollar price of $0.003249. Some of the other coins I listed. I have no idea. There are no valuation models for crypto and its hard to predict whether one of these will leapfrog the leaders like Monero and Zcash.  Even a small token allocation of $100 can turn into a fortune if one of these small privacy coins takes off given their low market caps. One last point a well regarded crypto Viacoin is in the process of integrating anonymous transactions. This one has active development.  

░▓██████████████░
    ░▒██            ▒██▒░         ▓█████▓                               ░█████▒               ███                   
█████▓░     ██████░   ▒▓████      ██░░░▓█▓                             ▒███▒▓███              ███                     
██        █▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓█▓▒    ██     ▒█▓    ██                             ███   ▒██▒                                 
▓█      ░█▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓█░  █▓     ▓█▒   ▒█▓  ░████▓    █████   ░█████▓  ██▓    ██▓  ███████▓   ▓██   ▒█████▓   ███████▓
░█░    ░█▓▒▒░░░░░▒ ░▒██  ░█░     ██    ██░  ██  ▓█▒  ██░ ▒█▓  ▓█▓  ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███▒ ▓███  ███  ▒██▓ ▒██▒  ███▒ ▓███
 ██    ██▒░░░▒▒ ░░▒▒▓█▒  ██     ▒█▓    ██  ██   ▒█▒ ▓█░   █▓  ██   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███   ███
 ▒█░ ░▒█▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒█ ░█▒     ▓█░   ▒█▓  ███████  ███████░ ░█▓   ██  ██▓    ██▓  ███   ███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
  ██ ░██▓▒▒░░░▒▒▒▒░░░█░ ██      ██    ██░ ▒█▓░▒░░  ░█▓░▒░░░  ▓█░  ▒█▒  ██▓    ██▓  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ███  ███  ░███
   ██  █▓██▓▒▒▒▒░▒▒▓█▒ ██      ▒█▓   ░██  ██       ▓█░       ██   ██   ███   ▒██▒  ███  ░███  ███  ▓██   ██▓  ███  ░███
    ██    ▒▓███████▓  ██       ██▒  ▒██   ██  ░██  ▓█░  ██░ ░██  ▓█▓   ▓██▓▒▒███   ███  ░███  ███  ░██▓░▓██▒  ███  ░███
     ██░       ░    ░██        ██████▓    ▒█████   ░█████░  ▓█████▓     ▒█████▓    ███  ░███  ███   ▒█████▒   ███  ░███
      ▒██          ██▒                                      ██                                                   
        ▒██░     ▓██                                       ▒█▓                                                         
          ▓██░ ▓██░                                        ██░                                                         
            ▒██▓
Tor Integrated & Secured
chutchmcgillicutty

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 05:22:55 PM

Monero just keeps climbing up the gentle slope. Other "sexier" altcoins are going up and down mountains. I'm switching out a few ETH for XMR, seems like a safer long term play Cool

GLOBAL DECENTRALIZED ADVERTISING EXCHANGE

Token sale: MAY 21

▄█▄      ▄█▄        
                                 █████    █████       
                        ▄██▄     ▀█▀      ▀█▀        
                ▄█▄    ▀██▀                           
         ▄     ▀█▀                        ▄█▄        
        ▀█▀                      ▄█▄     █████       
                        ▄██▄    █████     ▀█▀        
   ██          ▄█▄    ▀██▀     ▀█▀                  
         ▄     ▀█▀                        ▄█▄        
        ▀█▀                      ▄█▄     █████       
                        ▄██▄    █████     ▀█▀        
   ██          ▄█▄    ▀██▀     ▀█▀                  
                ▀█▀                                    
          ▄                      ▄█▄      ▄█▄        
         ▀█▀           ▄██▄    █████    █████       
   ██          ▄█▄    ▀██▀     ▀█▀      ▀█▀        
                ▀█▀                                    
           ▄                      ▄█▄     ▄█▄        
          ▀█▀            ▄██▄   █████   █████       
    ██            ▄█▄   ▀██▀    ▀█▀     ▀█▀        
             ▄    ▀█▀                                 
            ▀█▀                         ▄█▄           
       ██              ▄█▄   ▄██▄    █████          
                  ▄    ▀█▀   ▀██▀     ▀█▀           
                 ▀█▀                                   
            ██                   ▄██▄                 
                    ▄     ▄█▄   ▀██▀                 
                   ▀█▀    ▀█▀                          

▄█   ▄█  ▄█        ▄█████▄   ▀█▄     ▄█▀
██   ██  ██▄▄▄▄▄   ██▀   ▀██    ▀█▄  ▄█▀
██   ██  ██▀▀▀▀██  ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ████   
██   ██  ██   ██  ██▄   ▄█    ▄██▀▀██▄   
▀██████▀  ▀██████▀  ▀███████▀   ▄██▀   ▀██▄
Telegram
Facebook
ANN Thread
Youtube
LinkedIn
Twitter
Medium
Reddit
Github
bitwolf (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 04:38:09 AM

Monero is also the third most developed coin.

Multiple light and mobile wallets, multisignature and network optimizations incoming as well as Trezor and Coinomi integrations in the near future and many more.
So I am asking you the same question again - are you here for the right principles -believing in the decentralized, client driven and client protecting better technologies, believing in the better community and devs who give anything for the coin or you are here for the quick money through coins who are all PR and no unique code, just copy paste, integration through bribery and then spending money for PR???   
Ewox

Activity: 812
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 06:02:30 AM

You really can't blame anyone for choosing bitcoin over monero even if bitcoin is speculated to split, Monero is a good coin but it is not enough compared to bitcoin. There are so many reasons why most people choose what they choose, just don't bash other coin especially not bitcoin because if not for bitcoin I doubt monero would be created too.
dadesu

Activity: 378
Merit: 258

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 06:34:03 AM

Monero wallet is not so good, they need to make much better gui, and dont like complicate two adres cobination... adres and id...

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
Anonymous and Untraceable
ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord 

▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
comp

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 07:12:42 AM

After yesterday's ico ruling monero is at the top spot of coins to acquire. All coins that can be seen as securities will get delisted from major exchanges. Probably even eth will be part of that sooner or later. Basically every coin with a company behind it will be targeted if they used coin money in any form to fund their operations. Instamine, hybrid forms, icos, devs fee, all screwed
JosNekoKopa

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 08:33:15 AM

Monero technologically is undisputed, but price is not so competitive with some others projects such as Cloak, ZEN, KMD..which are more interesting for investors in terms of return of invested funds. This is why we have this situation. But if you believe in one project just stick with it!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: