Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:03:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep your system updated and stay secure. Tips to avoid viruses trojans  (Read 6408 times)
Nub

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:52:48 AM

Thanks for sharing this! Posts like these are helpful and keep the community more safe
stephanic

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 11:13:27 AM

Hi,
There are several ways by which one can keep their system up to date and can avoid attacks from hackers. It is always instructed to update your system and should stay secure because if you don't keep your system secure then there is a chance of your system getting infected. Just avoid any downloads from unwanted sites or prevent from hitting email attachments or links from unknown users.

http://www.keepbrowsersafe.com/ways-to-protect-your-computer-from-hackers
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2015, 02:59:17 PM

OP: good thread. but for the masses we need devices that can even operate on an infected PC. like the trezor hardware wallet for example:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=899253.0

gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 11:52:12 PM

Thanks for pointing out this thread escrow.ms, I've been wanting and asking for a concise security 411/how to just like this thread, had not been able to find one as stright forward and simple, until this thread. I'm bookmarking for future reference, always seeing users who get robbed because of easy to prevent mistakes and more. It can be hard to list them all the things they need to know, and this thread takes care of that nicely. Kudos!

seVell

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 12:18:05 AM

If you use Windows for anything money related don't use a cracked version!

Buying windows is being ripped upfront!
BurstIncomeAsset

Activity: 504
Merit: 511

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 11:00:47 PM

I am using linux, and offline wallets for bigger sum transfers. I do not risk my investor's funds on chances Wink
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 07:00:18 AM

ironically i'm using a craked version of windows 7 and my coins are still all here, so i'm must assume that this version is safe

torrent in general are safe, you should check the owner and the comments
notlist3d
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 07:22:22 AM

ironically i'm using a craked version of windows 7 and my coins are still all here, so i'm must assume that this version is safe

I would avoid torrents like the plague if storing hotwallet on it.  I'm really surprised you are using a cracked OS.

I suggest people look into cold wallets.  Also really do not torrent or go to torrent sites.   You are asking to get coins stolen.
BurstIncomeAsset

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 01:50:23 PM

Perhaps you are using an online wallet?

An online wallet with 2 passwords + mobile authentication & emergency withdrawal address is more safe than a lightweight wallet stored locally on an infected PC.

Plus make sure your antivirus/firewall is a higher quality one. But best would be to just use Linux, because you don't have to worry about anything similar there.

With a proper security based linux distro , that is already packed with good firewall, is probably the best defense out there.
coinplus
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1058

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 03:56:48 PM

An online wallet with 2 passwords + mobile authentication & emergency withdrawal address is more safe than a lightweight wallet stored locally on an infected PC.

Plus make sure your antivirus/firewall is a higher quality one. But best would be to just use Linux, because you don't have to worry about anything similar there.

With a proper security based linux distro , that is already packed with good firewall, is probably the best defense out there.

It's always guarding up ourselves by using latest versions of browsers or it's plugins as well as bitcoin wallets. We need to look up for latest things for the purpose of defending scams.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1353

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 05:43:17 PM

Currently downloading Xubuntu to replace Win7 as my OS. Sometimes, the updates of Windows screw people's data just like what happened to mine. The update that has been installed in my laptop recently wiped all of the user data in my c drive, and up until now I'm wondering how that happened. Huh Good thing I don't have any bitcoins on this machine because right now, I can't seem to find a previous restore point on to which I can load my machine and recover all the files (even the restore files were deleted, screw Windows).
poplolnman
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 06:30:32 PM

should this thread pinned? or keep this thread bumping up. i think this will very help newbies or even us to avoid something like stole information in our computer especially bitcoin wallet information. since many people claimed lost their bitcoin just like that even blame their online wallet sites etc.

I'm in 400,000 euros debt , dont help me , i rather die
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 06:42:09 PM

no i'm using core and there are 2-3 btc inside, and this since two years already, and none of those bitcoin was ever stolen from my desktop, so this version of windows 7 is secure at 100%

I would avoid torrents like the plague if storing hotwallet on it.  I'm really surprised you are using a cracked OS.

I suggest people look into cold wallets.  Also really do not torrent or go to torrent sites.   You are asking to get coins stolen.

yeah i know but i hadn't money at that time for a windows 7 and anyway before anything i started with a very low amount of bitcoin on this system(0.0X) and since then nothing was ever robbed(the old wallet) from me, so i simply continued to add more coins via mining, because i knew it was safe

keep in mind that i never bought any bitcoin, all acquired via mining, i would say instamining, i have nothing to lose  Grin

well maybe 1k of electricity bills...
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 08:05:58 PM

I would avoid torrents like the plague if storing hotwallet on it.  I'm really surprised you are using a cracked OS.

I suggest people look into cold wallets.  Also really do not torrent or go to torrent sites.   You are asking to get coins stolen.

yeah i know but i hadn't money at that time for a windows 7 and anyway before anything i started with a very low amount of bitcoin on this system(0.0X) and since then nothing was ever robbed(the old wallet) from me, so i simply continued to add more coins via mining, because i knew it was safe

keep in mind that i never bought any bitcoin, all acquired via mining, i would say instamining, i have nothing to lose  Grin

well maybe 1k of electricity bills...

That is the thing some months if they would have just taken my electricity amount it would have hurt.   I guess I could be considered over protective.  I just think if you holding on a wallet that is not cold, make sure you are safe.

I like having a computer specifically for hot wallet.  It does not have a ton but enough for a purchase or two.  And most are cold.
BurstIncomeAsset

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 09:01:31 PM

no i'm using core and there are 2-3 btc inside, and this since two years already, and none of those bitcoin was ever stolen from my desktop, so this version of windows 7 is secure at 100%

Something that doesn't happened yet, doesn't mean that it won't happen later. Keeping too much money on a system that is vulnerable to multiple attack vectors is really a gamble, that is not wise to do.

I would personally not do that, who knows those 3 bitcoins might be worth a fortune later.
jrobertson

Activity: 4

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 04:12:57 AM

Do you think Windows 10 is more secure than previous versions? It has the advantage of being mostly immune to piracy (thus far) and security updates/virus definitions are automatically updated every night, except for Enterprise users. I'm also curious whether Microsoft Edge is more or less vulnerable than Internet Explorer was, in the community's opinion.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 05:31:37 AM

Do you think Windows 10 is more secure than previous versions? It has the advantage of being mostly immune to piracy (thus far) and security updates/virus definitions are automatically updated every night, except for Enterprise users. I'm also curious whether Microsoft Edge is more or less vulnerable than Internet Explorer was, in the community's opinion.

Piracy should not be part of being secure.  You should not pirate anything to stay secure, specifically you should not pirate OS, Virus Protection, etc.   Just takes a bad idea to another level.

The biggest thing is the computer being clean.   If your going to do a paper wallet with a decent amount of BTC I like to do fresh install of OS then update, then add virus protection.  And whipe drive after your done with paper wallet. 

It is something not everyone can do.  But on edge being less vulnerable I'm sure percent wise yes... as less use it.  But no doubt it will grow in number.  But avoid "bad" sites not matter what browser if you are trying to secure a hot wallet.
jrobertson

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 06:51:31 AM

That's a good point about Edge, I don't think it's similar enough to IE to be vulnerable to the same threats, at least not in the meantime like you suggested. With everyone updating to Windows 10, though, there's less worrying about someone bringing a pirated copy of Windows on your network to spread around any of the malware included with "cracked" versions of Windows, so I think that's a good thing. Assuming we can trust Microsoft not to steal our coins themselves!
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 07:13:35 AM

Something that doesn't happened yet, doesn't mean that it won't happen later. Keeping too much money on a system that is vulnerable to multiple attack vectors is really a gamble, that is not wise to do.

I would personally not do that, who knows those 3 bitcoins might be worth a fortune later.

as i said i don't download anything that do not come with a sign and i don't browse on malicious site, i'm safe as fuck, and the fact that those btc are there from 2013, proves it

the best security is done by the user not anything else
jrobertson

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 06:01:39 PM

Agreed!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: