Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:49:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What exactly are bitcoins bound to?  (Read 651 times)
Maximus-CZ (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:20:59 PM

Hello, I have a little misunderstanding.

When I download Bitcoin-qt, I launch it, sync it, and I have a wallet.
I can generate multiple addresses to which people might send money to.

So, I have a wallet A, and generate 3 addresses. Address Aa Ab and Ac.
3 persons, send me 1 BTC each (each person to assigned address).
If I got it right, those addresses are not connected in any way (except they all lead to my wallet), so those people cant reveal my current balance of 3 BTC. (right?)
I have 1 BTC on adress Aa, 1 BTC on Ab and 1 BTC on Ac.
I have 3 BTC in total.

But now comes the catch. When I decide to send 2 BTC to new guy (number 4), where will those BTCs come from? My wallet says I have 3 BTC, so I can definitely send 2 BTC.
But I dont have 2 BTC on single adress, so how can I send 2 BTC in a single transaction to another adress?

If BTC are bound to receiving addresses, I should not be able to send 2 BTC, only 1 BTC two times, each time from one of those addresses.
If they are bound to wallet, how do those people cant see that my current balance is 3 BTC?

I am confused, sorry if this seems stupid. Any explanation helps

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:21:29 PM

Re: What exactly are bitcoins bound to?

Answer: Libertarianism.  Cheesy

Maximus-CZ (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:22:36 PM

funny, but could you actually read my post and try to answer this time?
thanks
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:26:15 PM

Hello, I have a little misunderstanding.

When I download Bitcoin-qt, I launch it, sync it, and I have a wallet.
I can generate multiple addresses to which people might send money to.

So, I have a wallet A, and generate 3 addresses. Address Aa Ab and Ac.
3 persons, send me 1 BTC each (each person to assigned address).
If I got it right, those addresses are not connected in any way (except they all lead to my wallet), so those people cant reveal my current balance of 3 BTC. (right?)
I have 1 BTC on adress Aa, 1 BTC on Ab and 1 BTC on Ac.
I have 3 BTC in total.

But now comes the catch. When I decide to send 2 BTC to new guy (number 4), where will those BTCs come from? My wallet says I have 3 BTC, so I can definitely send 2 BTC.
But I dont have 2 BTC on single adress, so how can I send 2 BTC in a single transaction to another adress?

If BTC are bound to receiving addresses, I should not be able to send 2 BTC, only 1 BTC two times, each time from one of those addresses.
If they are bound to wallet, how do those people cant see that my current balance is 3 BTC?

I am confused, sorry if this seems stupid. Any explanation helps

If you have three Bitcoins on three different addresses in your wallet, no, the 3 people who sent you 1 bitcoin each will not know about each others' transactions.

If you try to send 2 Bitcoins to a fourth person, he will see that his two Bitcoins came from two different addresses. I do not know how the Bitcoin client determines which of the two addresses it will use.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:28:26 PM

They are bound to the blockchain, that's the transaction history of all transactions ever made. It states on what adresses all the Bitcoins are.

You adresses are just keys to access some of them.
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:29:28 PM

You can send from multiple input addresses in a single transaction. IIRC the official Bitcoin client does this automatically when all sending addresses are in the same wallet.
Maximus-CZ (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:29:54 PM

You can send from multiple input addresses in a single transaction. IIRC the official Bitcoin client does this automatically when all sending addresses are in the same wallet.
I see, so those money will really be sent from 2 addresses. I thought there always have to be 1 "from" address. Thanks
Your wallet will take two inputs for the transaction, and they go to one output (for your example).

If you were to send 1.5 BTC it would take 2 inputs and have 2 outputs, as one would be 0.5 BTC as change back to you.

That make sense?
It does, thank you!
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:30:02 PM

Your wallet will take two inputs for the transaction, and they go to one output (for your example).

If you were to send 1.5 BTC it would take 2 inputs and have 2 outputs, as one would be 0.5 BTC as change back to you.

That make sense?
dude581

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:31:06 PM

love ppl who register and ask basic question before doing little research. Lazyness is brain killer.
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:32:47 PM

love ppl who register and ask basic question before doing little research. Lazyness is brain killer.
Love people who register to complain about people registering to ask for help.
Maximus-CZ (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:33:29 PM

You know, I researched a lot, but I was just confused by this (as I described above) and just didnt know. Try to form my question into phrase that google could find.. I couldnt think any, so I asked
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:37:49 PM

You know, I researched a lot, but I was just confused by this (as I described above) and just didnt know. Try to form my question into phrase that google could find.. I couldnt think any, so I asked
Don't let it stress you out, every open source project has people like that. Completely reasonable question.
dude581

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 06:16:33 PM

Love people who register to complain about people registering to ask for help.

I've registered for different reason Wink
OK, my approach was quite nasty Wink Maybe I just love searching for answers rather then asking questions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: