Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:55:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Wallet  (Read 2701 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:02:22 PM

What are the scenarios in which a Bitcoin bank would be valuable? For example I imagine paypal esq remote access to funds might be one but are there others? Why might you want google, or anyone else for that matter to hold on to your bitcoins for you?

Consumer protection.  I.E. theft & fraud insurance against misuse of your mobile wallet funds, just like a credit card works today.  There would have to be a liability cap.

"Instant" checkout.  Since Google knows who you are, they become the trusted intermediary for the vendor, so he doesn't actually have to wait for confirms nor employ a third party company to risk assess unconfirmed transactions on the fly.

Overspending credit, for some users.

Basic security, for mobile users who don't know any better.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smartcardguy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:22:30 PM

All good scenarios, if BTC becomes more mainstream I could imagine there being a willingness to pay for such things. I think much of the portability security stuff could to a great be addressed via technology vs business but loans, account insurance and transaction liability management would for sure need a TTP.
acesun

Activity: 16

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:18:55 PM

Wow is this real/legit?

This could be very big, heh I've been wondering what does GOOG think about bitcoins...I guess we'll see what happens later this year.
b1tc01n_wh0r3

Activity: 17

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 10:20:39 PM

I'd trust 'em.

don't think Google will touch btc and I would never leave my wallet there. It's enough of information about us that Google keeps anyway.
smartcardguy

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 12:06:06 AM

I agree, this is not likley something they would do; I can imagine someone doing it tough its just unclear if its good business at this time, hence my question about value prop.
muscles

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 03:33:26 PM

I think bitcoin centralization is antithetical to the project, but I understand some centralization is necessary for currency exchange, etc
kerogre256

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 03:52:39 PM

1 Take bitcoin code
2 Chenge it
3 Buy 10 000 ASCI chip and make network.
4 Start generate coins for seciure google transaction
5 Ignore bitcoin
6 Profit.

zerokwel

Activity: 464
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 04:12:13 PM

yea it all depends on how google done this to if it would of been a good idea or not
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 06:34:22 PM

Our first Google Wallet customer (YouTube)

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
Richard Rahl

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 06:43:56 PM

Not sure most folks would want to give up their anonymity for it, though.

I'm not sure why some people think that the rest of the 99.999% of the world gives a shit about anonymity? If they did, I doubt you would have ever heard of Facebook.

Only a small portion of geeks, care about online anonymity. Even most geeks I know don't really care. Now, I can understand anonymity in some places (like some forums), but for everything else........ not so much.
Asymptote

Activity: 13

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 01:53:50 AM

I thought the whole point was to be de-centralized and not regulated...

exactly.  i like google and all of their free products, but i think this move pretty much violates the central concept of bitcoins.

No, the central point of Bitcoins is to allow the user the choices.  Other options can't be decentralized nor anonymous.  Just how far the user wants to go do that rabbit hole is entirely up to them.

EXACTLY.  With Bitcoin, user can choose how much anonymity he desires. Some don't care and some do... all along a gradient.
netrin

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 02:04:06 AM

The utility of cash stems in no small part from its anonymity. We don't want any hassle when we pay the baby sitter, tip the bar tender, give a congratulatory card. The lack of counter party risk is directly related to the fact that it can't be traced and thus undone. Anonymity is not about the dark shadows but of immediacy and finality. We don't pay friends with credit but with discreet honest value.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
MadHacker

Activity: 235

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 03:04:28 PM

interesting how nobody noticed this was posted back in june...
not like google anounced anything since then
netrin

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 03:17:20 PM

Yes, an advertisement.

MadHacker

Activity: 235

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 03:27:20 PM

Yes, an advertisement.
right sorry i missed that...
but it doesn't say anything about bitcoins.
netrin

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 04:02:28 PM

Yes, an advertisement.
right sorry i missed that...
but it doesn't say anything about bitcoins.
Ah, therein lies the rub!

Richard Rahl

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 11:14:47 PM

This came out today

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/09/gwallet/

Google Wallet is a service that eliminates the traditional notion of the leather carrying case, allowing you to store digital versions of your credit cards on your smartphone.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: