Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:18:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: WHat will be the best way to ensure the security of R5 (see comments)?
Give each of the five problems a sufficient number of rounds that will guarantee security beyond reasonable doubt for the foreseeable future. - 4 (44.4%)
Build a mechanism within the cryptocurrency which will increase the number of rounds in case of any security weaknesses. - 5 (55.6%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nebula-The upcoming cryptocurrency that will incentivize reversible computation.  (Read 4460 times)
instacalm

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2017, 02:40:02 PM

Hi Joseph, I'm watching your project with great interest. Thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
uwatere

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 12:26:25 PM

I got you man. Hope this great project.

All would want the success of this project, I also hope this project will be successful ..
SunStruck

Activity: 676
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 12:12:00 AM

Any news yet ?
bykardinal

Activity: 1792
Merit: 513

<3 DeepOnion

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2017, 07:20:41 AM

Dev last activity 29 07 2017. looks like project closed even before its opened.

SunStruck

Activity: 676

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 11:13:38 AM

Mhmmm or hard at work Smiley
jukKas

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 06:29:13 AM

Hi!
I'm very interested about this project. What's the status? How's everything going?

Hope this succeeds.

Bitcoin
jvanname (OP)

Activity: 696
Merit: 51

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 03:28:09 PM

Hello everyone,

In addition to cryptocurrencies, I have been simultaneous working on another mathematical research project on Laver tables http://boolesrings.org/jvanname/2017/08/29/generalizations-of-laver-tables-is-posted-140-pages/ where among other things I have developed the mathematical structures behind new post-quantum public key cryptosystems from the highest levels of infinity (this project is the only real-world application of these very large levels of infinity). My project on Laver tables is finished after two years of work, so I can now devote all my extra time that I have to Nebula. I apologize for the delay.

-Joseph Van Name Ph.D.
http://boolesrings.org/jvanname
Cloudpost

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 03:47:17 PM

Hello everyone,

In addition to cryptocurrencies, I have been simultaneous working on another mathematical research project on Laver tables http://boolesrings.org/jvanname/2017/08/29/generalizations-of-laver-tables-is-posted-140-pages/ where among other things I have developed the mathematical structures behind new post-quantum public key cryptosystems from the highest levels of infinity (this project is the only real-world application of these very large levels of infinity). My project on Laver tables is finished after two years of work, so I can now devote all my extra time that I have to Nebula. I apologize for the delay.

-Joseph Van Name Ph.D.

Fantastic news! Thanks for the update!

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
jukKas

View Profile
August 31, 2017, 08:10:30 PM

Hello everyone,

-Joseph Van Name Ph.D.

Very good news. Haven't heard about Laver tables term before. Will try to investigate more and understand your research paper, since it's seems quite interesting concept.

Good luck with Nebula!

Bitcoin
KGBx

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 03:40:08 PM

Joseph Van Name, take your time to research, we'll be waiting. It's very interesting project, watching this thread!

▀▀▀▀▀▀     SWIPE  │ Monetizing mobile engagement data, on the blockchain    ▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄▄▄         Whitepaper       Telegram       Twitter       Medium       Reddit          ▄▄▄▄
jvanname (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 02:47:30 AM

I am now testing the security of the problem R5 and my observations will be outlined in a paper. The security of R5 is an issue since it typically takes at least a couple of years for major organizations such as the NIST to analyze the security of a symmetric cryptosystem and much longer for public key cryptosystems. I do not have any of these luxuries and since R5 uses 5 problems, I can only give a basic security analysis of each of these problems and show the security report to a few fellow cryptographers to gauge their approval. Nevertheless, at this point, there are two possible things I can do to ensure the security of R5. I can either make sure that the POW problems in R5 have enough rounds in order to ensure that the cryptosystem remains secure beyond any reasonable doubt for the foreseeable future (Solution 1) OR I can put a mechanism into the cryptocurrency that will automatically increase the number of rounds in the POW problem.

Let me list a few pros of each of the solutions.

Pros for Solution 1:

-A large number of rounds for R5 will increase the reversible computer friendliness since a greater portion of the processing power will be spent on computing reversible functions rather than setting up the input or reading the output for every "hash."

-This solution is simpler than Solution 2. Therefore, with this solution Nebula will be launched more quickly and solution 2 may present its own security weaknesses.

Pros for Solution 2:

-The built in mechanism for testing the security of R5 can be thought of as a useful POW problem which will be in the spirit of Nebula and which will advance cryptography.

-Cryptographers will likely have a greater peace of mind with this solution since any security issue with R5 will be resolved automatically by adding more rounds.

-It may be easier to construct reversible machines that solve R5 if there are fewer rounds (especially for problems 3-5).
David Rabahy

Activity: 709
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 03:24:51 AM

I wonder if there could be security issues which aren't addressed by any number of additional rounds.

For option 2, how would the number of rounds be increased?  How can an algorithm detect the security is at risk?
jvanname (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 06:33:41 AM
Last edit: November 09, 2017, 05:19:22 PM by jvanname

I have just posted the security report on http://boolesrings.org/jvanname/2017/11/09/security-report-for-r5-the-pow-problem-for-nebula. I now have the functions for R5 ready and coded in c++, but I need to get the thing launched (at this point, I am pretty sure that I will need some help from professional cryptocurrency developer in exchange for unobfuscated code access that will allow for quicker mining for problems 1-3, and a short period of pre-mining).

jukKas. I appreciate your interest in the Laver tables. They are truly unique and profound mathematical structures that arise from the highest levels of infinity (and they can be understood and calculated by just about anyone too).

I doubt that there will be any security issue for R5 that cannot be remedied by simply increasing the number of rounds since R5 is a symmetric cryptosystem rather than a public key cryptosystem (symmetric cryptography gains its security through the number of rounds while public key cryptography is another story since the Merkle-Hellman knapsack cryptosystem has been broken overnight and it cannot be improved by increasing the  number of rounds.). Each problem in R5 employs many Toffoli gates and Fredkin gates and both the Toffoli gates and the Fredkin gates are universal for reversible computation. Furthermore, any permutation of {0,1}^n can be computed by Toffoli gates with at most 3 ancilla bits.

I have ultimately decided that having a mechanism in R5 that automatically increases the number of rounds in case there is any insecurity of R5 is unnecessary since the security requirements for R5 do not seem too demanding. For R5, recall that the POW is simply to find a 256 bit hash k along with 68 bit string x so that f_i(k#x)<1/d where d is the difficulty. A miner will have little control over k since a miner can only try many different hashes until he finds a good one. A miner can only control the 68 bit string x, and it will be difficult for an attacker to break R5 when he only has control over the 68 bit string x. By the nature of R5, the attacker does not have much room to work with. Therefore, since attackers do not have much room to work with, the functions f_1,...,f_5 only need to be OK randomizing functions in order for R5 to be secure. Most of the work has already been done for me since we already have secure hash functions. In essence, for all i, a one bit change to the input for f_i will result in a completely different output even after going through 1/4 of all rounds.

For option 2, the mechanism to increase the number of rounds will have an additional POW problem which for our purposes we shall call weak R5. Weak R5 will be like strong R5 except that weak R5 will only employ 1/3 as many rounds as strong R5, and weak R5 may employ other features that make it less secure. If weak Problem i is solved too often in proportion to strong Problem i, then the number of rounds in both weak and strong Problem i will automatically increase. Therefore, strong R5 will remain secure since an attacker cannot break strong R5 unless someone is able to break weak R5.

P.S. Since I have posted the original whitepaper on Nebula, I have changed each of the problems R5 slightly in order to increase the level of security.
p3ngu1n

Activity: 304

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:03:56 AM

It is an interesting project.
I look forward to next information.
Yousday

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 07:56:08 PM

Hello Dev, quite an interesting project you have got here. Nebula isn't connected to Nebulas (NAS) in any way right?
jvanname (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 12:06:46 AM

Nebulas Token (NAS) is completely unrelated.
jvanname (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 02:48:14 AM

jukKas. I am actually using an image that arises from the Laver tables as the logo for Nebula.
liotmaan

Activity: 324
Merit: 261

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 02:53:37 AM

I remember this posted a while ago. I'm super interested in Nebula to be released
alamin99

Activity: 1078

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 03:00:26 AM

Hmm. Interesting.
jvanname (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 05:34:28 AM
Last edit: November 11, 2017, 06:02:00 AM by jvanname

Princa. dvyanc.

This post is not related to Nebule Cash in any way or any other cryptocurrency or token. The purpose of my upcoming coin is to use a POW that will incentivize the development of the reversible computer. I am trying to solve the problem of "useless" POW problems by introducing a coin with a useful POW problem. No other cryptocurrency is incentivizing reversible computation (I currently resist the urge to change the name of this coin at this point because I am pretty sure that the scamcoin Nebule Cash will probably fail pretty soon. I apologize for any confusion, but the confusion will go away once those scamcoins fall by the wayside).
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: