Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:03:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-07-21] Bitcoin nears record high price after 'milestone' in fierce debate  (Read 5241 times)
White sugar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 23, 2017, 04:19:00 AM

Bitcoin nears record high price after 'milestone' in fierce debate over its future   Bitcoin nears record high price after 'milestone' in fierce debate over its future 
Friday, 21 Jul 2017 | 8:32 AM ET | 00:53
Bitcoin traded near its all-time high price late on Thursday after the intense debate over the cryptocurrency's future appears to be heading to a positive end.

The price of bitcoin hit a high of $2,948.51 on Thursday evening, just shy of the record high $3,025.47 reached on June 11, according to data from CoinDesk.

While the price pulled back over the next couple of hours, it is significantly higher than the $2,294.40 handle it began trading at on Thursday morning. Bitcoin has taken a hit in recent days because of the uncertainty over its future.

What's been going on?

Within the bitcoin community, a so-called "scaling debate" has been going on. There is a big backlog of transactions on the bitcoin blockchain — the technology that underpins the cryptocurrency. That's because the bitcoin code only allows a certain number of transactions through in one "block".

To understand this, it's important to outline how transactions work. Transactions by users are gathered into "blocks" which is turned into a complex math solution. So-called miners, using high-powered computers work these solutions out to determine if the transaction is possible. Once other miners also check the puzzle is correct, the transactions are approved and the miners are rewarded in bitcoin.

The whole debate has been about the right way to increase the block size, therefore speeding up transactions.

Who's fighting?

One faction of miners were supporting a solution called BIP 148, which would induce a "fork" in the blockchain. This would mean there were two separate blockchains and therefore two separate bitcoin tokens.

Another group threw its support behind a proposition called BIP 91, which would introduce something known as SegWit2X to the blockchain. SegWit is short for "segregated witness" which would move some of the data outside the main bitcoin network to increase its capacity. This was received negatively by some miners because it would lead to less fees for them.

But now the miners have accepted the BIP 91 proposal which would increase the block size.

What next?

The new code update called BIP 91 has been locked in with 93.8 percent of miners showing support for the proposal in the last 24 hours, according to Coin Dance, a site which tracks bitcoin blocks.

It is essentially a software update that miners need to run. So 93.8 percent of miners are signaling their intention to run it.

There will now be a two-day grace period for miners to prepare for the activation of BIP 91. Following that, there will be an adjustment period which could take two weeks. The actual increase of the block size might not take place until November.

And there could be some potential issues. For example, one bitcoin developer Bryan Bishop, said that miners might not upgrade their software, even though they are signaling that they will.

And there is still a bit of caution in the market.

"It's premature to say the worst is over. But we have reached one important milestone down the road in bitcoin scaling. And there are a few more milestones coming up," Bobby Lee, CEO of BTCC, a bitcoin exchange told CNBC by phone on Friday.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/21/bitcoin-price-near-record-high-price-scaling-debate-segwit.html
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 23, 2017, 06:57:06 AM

Amid the surge of the Bitcoin value for the past few days when it is clear that there will not be a split anymore, we are not officially out of the wood. But we are pinning our hope that miners would realize that if they will rock the boat they are also on the boat thus following the majority is to their own interest.

Let's see what can happen come August 1 as there would be technical changes that need to be done for the scaling solution to take effect. Right now, people are buying Bitcoin because they are anticipating that after August 1 the value can rise astronomically....so the profit window is buying now.
Vishnu.Reang

Activity: 1974
Merit: 453

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2017, 01:24:23 PM

After reaching $2,950, the exchange rate once again went down slightly. In Coinbase, it is trading at around $2,750 per coin right now. The dip may be due to the lack of clarity about the events on August 1.
bouren

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2017, 04:16:50 PM

After reaching $2,950, the exchange rate once again went down slightly. In Coinbase, it is trading at around $2,750 per coin right now. The dip may be due to the lack of clarity about the events on August 1.

Maybe not what you thinking. Coinbase dip is due to their backlog problem. Currently sending and receiving bitcoin and ether on Coinbase is delayed thus affecting their smooth working.
Otherwise Aug 1 is now clear enough. BIP148 is surely going to be dropped by miners.
Granxis

Activity: 1400
Merit: 536

View Profile
July 23, 2017, 09:39:55 PM

Actually, I am very surprised that I came to the $ 2,950 level, and I was expecting it to fall into the $ 1000 band, bitcoin might surprise me again.

.Duelbits.
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
TRY OUR
  NEW  UNIQUE
GAMES!
..DICE...
███████████████████████████████
███▀▀                     ▀▀███
███    ▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄    ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███   ▀████▀       ▀████▀   ███
███                         ███
███   ▄████▄       ▄████▄   ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███    ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀    ███
███▄▄                     ▄▄███
.MINES.
████████████████████████▄▀▄████
██████████████▀▄▄▄▀█████▄▀▄████
████████████▀ █████▄▀████ █████
██████████      █████▄▀▀▄██████
███████▀          ▀████████████
█████▀              ▀██████████
█████                ██████████
████▌                ▐█████████
█████                ██████████
██████▄            ▄███████████
████████▄▄      ▄▄█████████████
.PLINKO.
█████████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀█████████
██████▀  ▄▄███ ███      ▀██████
█████  ▄▀▀                █████
████  ▀                    ████
████                       ████
█████                     █████
██████▄                 ▄██████
█████████▄▄▄       ▄▄▄█████████
10,000x
MULTIPLIER
NEARLY UP TO
.50%. REWARDS
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
July 23, 2017, 11:05:42 PM

Actually, I am very surprised that I came to the $ 2,950 level, and I was expecting it to fall into the $ 1000 band, bitcoin might surprise me again.

Hey, don't say things like that, BTC may hear you, LOL!  I am looking forward to post Aug 1 and crypto.

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
TravelMug

Activity: 2632
Merit: 833

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 06:29:43 AM

LOL. bitcoin has really a lot of surprises underneath its sleeves. Right now its red around $2760 but is it still a good price. It may dip a little but for sure it will have surge again in a few days. But I don't think that it will fall significantly as the resistance level is very strong at $2000. The hard fork has been averted, but who knows what drama lies ahead that will either really push the price to new ATH or experience a minor dip again. We will have to wait and see.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x