Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:30:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Simultaneously Mining Multiple Coins  (Read 4678 times)
DOGG (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2017, 05:41:38 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2017, 05:59:17 AM by DOGG

Hey guys, a bit of background first. I'd recently decided to build a rig (using a package from gpushack.com / Ethos) during all the Ethereum hype. I'd mined some Terracoins years ago on old hardware and that was my only crypto mining experience. I probably made a mistake building this rig as investing money in the coins themselves would have been a lot more profitable. I also have no prior experience with Linux.

Rig:
970A-D3P
Athlon II X2 245
4GB
1000W
4x 8G Asus RX 580 (O8G)

OC:
Haven't messed with flashing the BIOS, and I've only overclocked the ram to around 2245-2260 depending on the card, from the 2000 stock.
Cores remain at 1260 default, but I am able to push this to about 1390 if need be.

As it's so hard to mine ETH these days, I've decided to dual mine some other altcoins in the hopes that they pump one day and I can recover my costs. I've been trying to mine multiple coins at the same time in order to maximise GPU usage, after seeing how Claymore's 9.7 miner is able to mine DCR with next to no impact on the ETH rate.

Mining:
GPU 0:
ETH,DCR (26.6Mh / 1060Mh)
GPU 1: ETH,ZEC (26.3Mh / 32S)
GPU 2: DAS,ZEC (5.3Mh / 151S)
GPU 3: ZERO (10.5S)

Miners:
GPU 0:
ETH,DCR (Claymore 9.7)
GPU 1: ETH,ZEC (Claymore 9.7 / Optiminer-zcash 1.7.0)
GPU 2: DAS,ZEC (sgminer 5.5.5-gm-a / Optiminer-zcash 1.7.0)
GPU 3: ZERO (Optiminer-zero 1.2.0)

The current setup is far from ideal and I'm only experimenting with it really. I've only just started testing the ZEC mining. Which coins pair up on the same card nicely without impacting mining rates significantly? What do you guys recommend I mine with these cards in general? Any other advice? I do understand that there are ASICS and FPGAs out there, and I'd rather not be competing with them.

The system peaks at about 950 watts when I dual mine only DCR and ETH across all cards. But I don't want to dual mine only DCR. Currently it's sitting on about 750, so there's plenty of room for improvement.

Screenshots:
ETH/DCR
http://i67.tinypic.com/2j1v4t4.png

ZEC
http://i65.tinypic.com/210xgck.png

DAS
http://i65.tinypic.com/att8oz.png

ZERO
http://i63.tinypic.com/29vxpip.png
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2017, 07:09:18 AM

As it's so hard to mine ETH these days, I've decided to dual mine some other altcoins in the hopes that they pump one day and I can recover my costs. I've been trying to mine multiple coins at the same time in order to maximise GPU usage, after seeing how Claymore's 9.7 miner is able to mine DCR with next to no impact on the ETH rate.

Mining:
GPU 0:
ETH,DCR (26.6Mh / 1060Mh)
GPU 1: ETH,ZEC (26.3Mh / 32S)
GPU 2: DAS,ZEC (5.3Mh / 151S)
GPU 3: ZERO (10.5S)

Miners:
GPU 0:
ETH,DCR (Claymore 9.7)
GPU 1: ETH,ZEC (Claymore 9.7 / Optiminer-zcash 1.7.0)
GPU 2: DAS,ZEC (sgminer 5.5.5-gm-a / Optiminer-zcash 1.7.0)
GPU 3: ZERO (Optiminer-zero 1.2.0)

The current setup is far from ideal and I'm only experimenting with it really. I've only just started testing the ZEC mining. Which coins pair up on the same card nicely without impacting mining rates significantly? What do you guys recommend I mine with these cards in general? Any other advice? I do understand that there are ASICS and FPGAs out there, and I'd rather not be competing with them.

The system peaks at about 950 watts when I dual mine only DCR and ETH across all cards. But I don't want to dual mine only DCR. Currently it's sitting on about 750, so there's plenty of room for improvement.

To the best of my knowledge, Zcash is currently the only cryptocurrency using Equihash for mining. (And even having the same algorithm doesn't guarantee that two selected cryptocurrencies can be merged-mined)

While you can run mining software for ZEC and something else for the same GPU, it's not really merged mining, which is what I think you're looking for if you're trying to mine "with next to no impact" on the performance of either one. Dual mining is always possible, but there's usually a performance hit for both hashrates. In some cases, that performance hit can be reduced significantly, but we don't really know what's going on inside Claymore's closed-source dual-miner. You'll still have to calculate if dual mining is netting you more than just mining one or the other. I generally wouldn't expect a big gain from dual-mining, but your mileage may vary, since it appears to be working out fine for others.

You can check out this thread on the Zcash forums for dual mining ZEC and ETH, but most of the replies don't seem that encouraging. My rig only has 1-2GB 7xxx series cards, so I can't mine ETH anyways. Tongue
https://forum.z.cash/t/dual-gpu-mining-eth-zec-working/7220

I'm not sure what you plan on doing with all the cryptocurrencies. If you plan on exchanging them all back to ETH, then exchange fees and that extra hassle are another thing to note, especially if you start looking into dual-mining more obscure coins.

If your system is peaking at 950W at the wall, you might want to be careful with that 1000W PSU. If it's mostly around 750W, you're probably good, but keep in mind that pegging a system 24/7 is usually pushing consumer-grade equipment to abnormal limits.

tl;dr: Continue with Claymore's ETH/DCR dual miner or just mine either ETH or ZEC, then optimize your GPU clock settings on that individual miner. Messing with driver, OS, and over/under clock settings are usually enough variables to worry about without trying to optimize all that, along with one or more additional cryptocurrencies. (For example, clock settings that work wonders on ETH might decrease your ZEC mining performance on the same card.) Sometimes the time spent optimizing ends up cutting your profits more than just letting the rig do its job, but hopefully this isn't resulting in too much downtime.

I've only ever mined 2 coins simultaneously, and that was way back with Bitcoin and Namecoin, so take this post with a grain of salt, as I haven't done much with dual-mining today's GPU cryptos.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
zazo80

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 01:54:40 AM

can you post your miners config file
naK2

Activity: 21

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 10:37:56 AM

What I'm doing is instead of having 4 GPU's mining different things at the same time, to rather split my month into 4 sections and mine with all the cards the same thing for that section.

For instance:
week 1 Eth+DCR,
Week 2 ZEC,
week 3 ETH+SIA,
week 4 ZERO.

That way you can easily optimize your overclock and power draw for that week's mining
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: