Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:22:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: all my coins gone today, sucks  (Read 22636 times)
BrightAnarchist (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:17:05 AM

I wish I had never left my money on mybitcoin... Used the same password as my mtgox... Stupid? Yes, very stupid.

I won't divulge the exact amount, but it was pretty substantial as I am one (was one?) of the early adopters. Happened at 10AM this morning, coins went to this address: 1MAazCWMydsQB5ynYXqSGQDjNQMN3HFmEu

Sad

Anyone else in the same boat? Just looking for some people to commiserate with...
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dobrodav

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:19:05 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2011, 04:35:58 AM by Dobrodav

I am saw at least one post from user with exactly the same situation. So, at least you are not alone.

MyFarm

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:34:59 AM

Once they make their way to Mt Gox and are sold, ask them to roll back all the trades then work with their liaison at the FBI to recover the bitcoin for you.  Word is they're going to set that precedent so no worries.

P.S.  Sorry man, that sucks.
Slowpok3

Activity: 287
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:40:05 AM

Part of me feels sorry for you, the other part hates you so much considering all of the warnings lately

well done on making another criminal a lot richer -.-
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:41:47 AM

I wish I had never left my money on mybitcoin... Used the same password as my mtgox... Stupid? Yes, very stupid.

I won't divulge the exact amount, but it was pretty substantial as I am one (was one?) of the early adopters. Happened at 10AM this morning, coins went to this address: 1MAazCWMydsQB5ynYXqSGQDjNQMN3HFmEu

Sad

Anyone else in the same boat? Just looking for some people to commiserate with...

Good job, not only did you use a weak password for financial data, but you used the same one on multiple sites. AND you had time to change it!

While I don't think you deserved it, it was pretty dumb on your part.
triforcelink

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:43:24 AM

Sorry to hear, unfortunately this has been a very expensive lesson for all of us. All the hacking that's going on is insane. I don't trust anything anymore. I'm setting up an entirely separate computer just for handling bitcoins.

Bunghole

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:46:31 AM

I too have a new, separate, never-networked computer just for creating and encrypting new wallets.  Balance can be checked at Block Explorer.
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:51:48 AM

Damn dude Sad I'm sorry.

Makes my stomach drop thinking about how much you lost.

Who said being a scumbag p.o.s didn't pay off? Whoever got your money has a lot of other people's money as well.

Be humble!
joepie91

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:14:30 AM

You were not the only one. It seems one person cleaned out all of MyBitcoin (at least the accounts that reused passwords) and gained 4k in the process.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
niemivh

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:28:48 AM

You were not the only one. It seems one person cleaned out all of MyBitcoin (at least the accounts that reused passwords) and gained 4k in the process.

4000 BTC or $4000 USD?

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 05:34:27 AM

Please tell me it wasn't really all of your coins. I can't make out what that address is doing. It looks like it had thousands in it, were they all yours?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:38:29 AM

Sad

Sorry to hear that.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
joepie91

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:43:46 AM

4000 BTC or $4000 USD?

Please tell me it wasn't really all of your coins. I can't make out what that address is doing. It looks like it had thousands in it, were they all yours?

4000BTC. That address it went to is the collection address of all of the stolen Bitcoins - it seems someone wrote a script to automatically logon to all MyBitcoin accounts with known passwords, and withdraw all coins to the same address.

Why this was not caught by MyBitcoin as being potential stealing, is beyond me.

I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:47:22 AM

Sorry to hear this.

But people, how many times were you advised on this forum to consider counterparty risks, trust no one, encrypt your wallet and hang on to it?

Leaving 100k USD worth of bitcoins on some amateurish website... I am speechless...

-
joepie91

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:57:03 AM

Sorry to hear this.

But people, how many times were you advised on this forum to consider counterparty risks, trust no one, encrypt your wallet and hang on to it?

Leaving 100k USD worth of bitcoins on some amateurish website... I am speechless...

The 4000 bitcoins were not from one account. It seems to have been the total of funds that was collected altogether, from all MyBitcoin accounts that were reusing passwords.

Which again raises the question why. The. Fuck. This. Wasn't. Detected.

bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 06:00:36 AM

My 2BTC are still in mybitcoin acct Smiley
Very different password thanks to keepassx.org

something like
K*=7}%Z9&t`Pb$QN

I have lost coins in different ways through loans and poker but there were no passwords to crack, just my mind-

I wanted to recommend keepassx as that has simplified the handling of passwords in my life-

lemonginger

Activity: 210

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:12:32 AM

Which again raises the question why. The. Fuck. This. Wasn't. Detected.

You haven't figured it out yet?

90% of the damn sites that use bitcoin were coded by a bunch of chumps that don't know WTF they are doing.

Our head media spokesperson, who supposedly owns a TV studio, can't even figure out how to livestream a webcam or get a skype conference call working. That TV show was terrible. It took they 20 minutes to get the mics working and the camera display stayed on the whole show.

Major wallet and exchange sites have poorly slapped together code by people that have obviously never coded sites that need high security before. The Trade Hill people didn't have answers to basic questions.

The gambling sites look like they were drawn by 3rd graders with crayon and CSS . Some of them don't offer regular rules/odds, others don't calculate bets right, and others are most certainly scams.

The few merchant sites that are up are slapped together storefronts.

Bitcoin got too big, too quick, and every 1st semester CS student or person with an Elance account thought they could throw together a site and get rich off of it. Now the community is paying the price.

All hail the creative destruction of a free market.
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:15:55 AM

All hail the creative destruction of a free market.

But sometimes the free-market will save also... as suddenly those who make good sites are at a competitive advantage.

One off NP-Hard.
bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 06:16:15 AM

BRIGHTanarchist,

"If you like, send me a bitcoin!
12MGypxDYSwTU1Q9g2f92Jh4x1PjPJFccn"

Is that your mybitcoin address? I was about to send you a little donation but did not want to fund the criminal either; let me know- Off to work now but will consider it in about 9 hours Wink

FractalUniverse

Activity: 1034
Merit: 558

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 06:45:30 AM

Sad

fortunately I had no bitcoins on mybitcoin at that time but i did the same stupid password mistake as you did..

regarding address above there were many transactions to and from it coming in short time span-you were not alone:

# Received transactions: 566
# Received BTC: 4 019.42939378
# Sent transactions: 551
# Sent BTC: 4 018.86860129

http://blockexplorer.com/address/1MAazCWMydsQB5ynYXqSGQDjNQMN3HFmEu]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: