Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:10:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: all my coins gone today, sucks  (Read 22636 times)
interfect

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:18:32 AM

Which again raises the question why. The. Fuck. This. Wasn't. Detected.

You haven't figured it out yet?

90% of the damn sites that use bitcoin were coded by a bunch of chumps that don't know WTF they are doing.

Our head media spokesperson, who supposedly owns a TV studio, can't even figure out how to livestream a webcam or get a skype conference call working. That TV show was terrible. It took they 20 minutes to get the mics working and the camera display stayed on the whole show.

Major wallet and exchange sites have poorly slapped together code by people that have obviously never coded sites that need high security before. The Trade Hill people didn't have answers to basic questions.

The gambling sites look like they were drawn by 3rd graders with crayon and CSS . Some of them don't offer regular rules/odds, others don't calculate bets right, and others are most certainly scams.

The few merchant sites that are up are slapped together storefronts.

Bitcoin got too big, too quick, and every 1st semester CS student or person with an Elance account thought they could throw together a site and get rich off of it. Now the community is paying the price.

All hail the creative destruction of a free market.

This is why Bitcoin is wonderful. They don't let people make "real" banking sites with construction paper and paste. It has to be Enterprise and use wish-it-was two-factor authentication and star out the username. With Bitcoin, anyone can make a web application that uses money. For free. Even people who are bad at security. The fact that these people got anywhere near money means that Bitcoin is already revolutionary.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
triforcelink

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:28:55 AM

Which again raises the question why. The. Fuck. This. Wasn't. Detected.

You haven't figured it out yet?

90% of the damn sites that use bitcoin were coded by a bunch of chumps that don't know WTF they are doing.

Our head media spokesperson, who supposedly owns a TV studio, can't even figure out how to livestream a webcam or get a skype conference call working. That TV show was terrible. It took they 20 minutes to get the mics working and the camera display stayed on the whole show.

Major wallet and exchange sites have poorly slapped together code by people that have obviously never coded sites that need high security before. The Trade Hill people didn't have answers to basic questions.

The gambling sites look like they were drawn by 3rd graders with crayon and CSS . Some of them don't offer regular rules/odds, others don't calculate bets right, and others are most certainly scams.

The few merchant sites that are up are slapped together storefronts.

Bitcoin got too big, too quick, and every 1st semester CS student or person with an Elance account thought they could throw together a site and get rich off of it. Now the community is paying the price.

This is why Bitcoin is wonderful. They don't let people make "real" banking sites with construction paper and paste. It has to be Enterprise and use wish-it-was two-factor authentication and star out the username. With Bitcoin, anyone can make a web application that uses money. For free. Even people who are bad at security. The fact that these people got anywhere near money means that Bitcoin is already revolutionary.
+1

cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:34:03 AM

But sometimes the free-market will save also... as suddenly those who make good sites are at a competitive advantage.

If you could make a good site then why not sell stuff for USD? That is why my hopes are for a) remittances (shady/ hugely bloated / noncompetitive industry)   b) poker (illegal in usd) c) drugs (illegal in USD) d) sexcam (paypal won't handle it and it could dramatically reduce the costs of entry for individual providers and cut out gouging middlemen)

For other commerce, bitcoin has wasted rewards on early adopters that could have been shared with adopting merchants (under alternative currency generation rules). On the plus side, further growth in the shady stuff could bootstrap future growth in the legitimate stuff.
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 07:39:45 AM

My one suggestion for everyone is:

Don't play the game if you can't afford to lose the money.

Be humble!
AnonymousBat

Activity: 111

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:05:45 AM

Much better than a government run monopoly in my opinion.
GeniuSxBoY

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:07:16 AM

Feels like Mexico.

Be humble!
Elanzer

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:18:37 AM

Lost 62 BTC to the same address today.

I'd probably be a bit more angry if I wasn't well in the green, and is nothing in comparison to those with 1000+ BTC.

More of an expensive lesson for my own stupidity - all my financial accounts have separate passwords, yet I never took mybitcoin serious enough to give it a separate password.
botnet

Activity: 35

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:35:41 AM

Same here.  My password was strong (numbers, camelcase letters, symbols, 12 characters), so I struggle believing it was cracked.

It looks like mybitcoin did detect it early on, here's what I got from them:

We suspect that someone cracked a huge selection of passwords (mtgox leaked the salts too), opened up many sessions (one for each cracked user), and then coordinated all of the spends to happen at once.

Most of the spends to that address happened within a few minutes, so we assume they opened the sessions ahead of time.

We were alerted to the attack when our anti DDoS system started blocking IPs rapidly. That usually happens during a brute force attack. What we saw was a massive spending spree. We quickly crippled the site, locked down the accounts that we could get to in time, and the rest are pretty much SOL.
hamdi

Activity: 826

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:56:13 AM

i hope all this stealing stabilizes soon
Litt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:06:52 PM

All the theft here could have been prevented if all the account holders managed to either change the password when you were TOLD TO by pretty much every damn person on the forum/community. We need dumb people to lose all the money and get out of bitcoin altogether if all they are gonna do is act like retards and not do the basic steps to protect oneself. I do not feel sorry for this person at all. Had it been something that occurred prior to Sunday's event then I might, but this is completely inexcusable to me. You completely and utterly deserved this. Even though I do not condone theft, this is more about self preservation and you can't even take care of your own ass.
Xenomorph

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:07:26 PM

My 2BTC are still in mybitcoin acct Smiley
Very different password thanks to keepassx.org

something like
K*=7}%Z9&t`Pb$QN

I have lost coins in different ways through loans and poker but there were no passwords to crack, just my mind-

I wanted to recommend keepassx as that has simplified the handling of passwords in my life-

Just something to keep in mind - the length of the password may be more important than the complexity of it.

"K*=7}%Z9&t`Pb$QN" would be cracked way before something like "Th1sismyDumbP@ssword" (16 vs 20 characters).

It is still important to try and use a unique password for each site (in case it is cracked or some idiot is storing them in plain text), but you do not have to make it overly complex!
Elanzer

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:25:46 PM

All the theft here could have been prevented if all the account holders managed to either change the password when you were TOLD TO by pretty much every damn person on the forum/community. We need dumb people to lose all the money and get out of bitcoin altogether if all they are gonna do is act like retards and not do the basic steps to protect oneself. I do not feel sorry for this person at all. Had it been something that occurred prior to Sunday's event then I might, but this is completely inexcusable to me. You completely and utterly deserved this. Even though I do not condone theft, this is more about self preservation and you can't even take care of your own ass.

Uhh.. not everyone that uses bitcoin tolls over the forums every single day. I visit this forum once  every 2 weeks or so I saw no warning to respond to within 24hrs, I came home from work that day and my shit was gone, that was my "warning".

Having identical passwords is one thing, but do not claim everybody follows the same routine you do. I don't daytrade bitcoin, nor do I use bitcoin rss feeds, or anything like that. I leave my 1.2ghash/s mining and go do other things, and check my bitcoin count every couple weeks.
Litt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:28:16 PM

MtGox sent out emails to everyone about the password. Also if you are remotely interested in the community and Bitcoin then you would have known about the Sunday incident. It was broadcasted on CNBC of all places. I really don't think there is any excuse for this. If there was it would be that you weren't that interested in Bitcoin and it's success in the first place if that news slip by you somehow.
GeniuSxBoY

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:35:21 PM

All the theft here could have been prevented if all the account holders managed to either change the password when you were TOLD TO by pretty much every damn person on the forum/community.

I call bullshit. I'm thinking the same hackers used vulnerabilities to get their hands on mybitcoins entire database just like on mt gox.

buttcoin.org reported:

Code:
Another release from lionhat security

bitcoin sure has come a long way lately? people moving their life savings around, putting it all in mtgox. well you saw what happened the other day what we were able to acquire from them. maybe you shouldn’t have trusted an 18 year old whose credentials include an iphone soundboard app with your offsite servers. also, shouldn’t he have been paying attention to transactions instead of attending anime conventions? :)

[b]well, good luck with the mining and all, we’re halfway [u]there with the next black fridayQQ[/u][/b]
so throw a few coins our way and we’ll give you a little preview of what we have in store next in addition to some more goodies we got from the last hack :D

June 20, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Be humble!
aceman1011

Activity: 142

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:01:31 PM

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=20275.0

Rent my 800 + mh/s rig. PM me!
Gabriel Beal

Activity: 210

Fezzik, tear his arms off.

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 04:12:18 PM

Bitcoin is the gold rush, the wild west, the dot com era, and the (US) declaration of independence, mixed together with a dash of cyberpunk.  Set your expectations accordingly.

digdugg67

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:38:43 PM

Don't worry. The US government will hunt down they evil theives.

How do I know?

Easy, the US Government Hates Competition.
dodgrr

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 04:56:13 PM

ugh, so sorry to hear this!! why does anyone keep their coins on an intermediary site?? Seems like the only safe place is on a USB drive, buried under my porch.. Just like my beanie babies.

GeniuSxBoY

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:16:28 PM

ugh, so sorry to hear this!! why does anyone keep their coins on an intermediary site?? Seems like the only safe place is on a USB drive, buried under my porch.. Just like my beanie dead babies.

Fixed.

Be humble!
dodgrr

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 05:21:39 PM

ugh, so sorry to hear this!! why does anyone keep their coins on an intermediary site?? Seems like the only safe place is on a USB drive, buried under my porch.. Just like my beanie dead babies.

Fixed.

psh, everyone knows dead babies don't gain in value Wink

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: