Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 05:30:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: August 1st vs Hard fork in November discussion  (Read 1714 times)
crypto98 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2017, 11:41:38 PM

Hello, I am interested in opinions of the community for the upcoming hard fork in November, is the FUD possibly going to be bigger as we approach 2MB hard fork in November compared to August 1st etc....
Please try to back up you're opinions with arguments so we can discuss.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 06:19:28 PM

Hello, I am interested in opinions of the community for the upcoming hard fork in November, is the FUD possibly going to be bigger as we approach 2MB hard fork in November compared to August 1st etc....

Make no mistake: The FUD will be big. The propaganda machines of Ver and co will be turned on again along with spamming the network to fool idiots into thinking if we don't hardfork when they want to we will all die because the blockchain will explode.

It's always the same thing. Once we get near the deadline date, something will happen and there will be no hardfork and smart money will buy the dip.
Fulmand

Activity: 568
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 07:43:39 PM

Make no mistake: The FUD will be big. The propaganda machines of Ver and co will be turned on again along with spamming the network to fool idiots into thinking if we don't hardfork when they want to we will all die because the blockchain will explode.

It's always the same thing. Once we get near the deadline date, something will happen and there will be no hardfork and smart money will buy the dip.

Basically that's not a new situations yo surprice us everyday, and it's always been expected to happen in a case to case basis of crypto currency. So if I were to give an idea about both of August 1 and hardfork in november, well I guess we have nothing to argue with and we will just let it be; so be it and let it happen.
pressureonme

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 07:59:31 PM

I'm so sick of this hard fork shit. We finished that in march 2017. We started for 1 august event and we're going to november hard fork shit. This is really not meaningful anymore. They use this situation to manipulate coin prices and that's all. No real progress or something.
Forester78

Activity: 378

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 08:14:50 PM

I'm so sick of this hard fork shit. We finished that in march 2017. We started for 1 august event and we're going to november hard fork shit. This is really not meaningful anymore. They use this situation to manipulate coin prices and that's all. No real progress or something.

I'm already fed up with the news about the split. A few months ago, I was very worried about this, but now I became calm. I do not panic. And it seems to me that nothing significant will happen with the bitcoin network either in August or in November. Be calm and use your coins

fabiorem

Activity: 1400
Merit: 347

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 10:15:03 PM

https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-unrealistic-bip-91-creator-scaling-segwit2x/

Now even a guy from Bitmain is against block increase.

They want to do it in just three months. This should be three years to be done properly.

If they fork, I will not follow the new coin. And will not sell either.

I run a non-listener node with Core 0.14.2.

The fact that is a 0 and not a 1 as first number, it's because is still in development.

If the big blockers try to dump BTC, I will buy more.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 10:28:50 PM

I don't think the 2MB fork is going to happen, certainly not by November at least.

Segwit was a comparative piece of piss - a thoroughly tested, ready to roll soft fork. A hard fork is a different beast and I don't think the developers will have enough weight to convince anyone else to run it.

There is no way every exchange, miner, economic player and wallet is going to leap wholesale into code that's a few weeks old developed in private. That's a fucking joke.

If Core proposed that they'd get their arses kicked, let alone anyone else.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 11:19:14 PM

I don't think the 2MB fork is going to happen, certainly not by November at least.

It's impossible to say at this point. I am leaning towards a 50% chance of the hard fork kicking in like it should, according to the proposal terms. The other 50% will cause the fud train to start rolling again, and may even temporarily make us move through a bear market. But hey, we can only speculate about what might or might not happen by that time. None of us here can add anything contributing to this matter as we as community members are basically muppets in this whole situation.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 11:22:41 PM

It's impossible to say at this point. I am leaning towards a 50% chance of the hard fork kicking in like it should, according to the proposal terms. The other 50% will cause the fud train to start rolling again, and may even temporarily make us move through a bear market. But hey, we can only speculate about what might or might not happen by that time. None of us here can add anything contributing to this matter as we as community members are basically muppets in this whole situation.

I'd be gobsmacked if every single player chose to run that code. Despite all the Unlimited shit not one single signaller of note was actually running it. It was Core all the way.

The Garzik crew is basically asking everyone to jump on board and not look back in a matter of weeks. That's every dollar, Euro or Yuan ever invested being expected to depend on something that barely exists yet. That simply is not going to happen.
espante

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2017, 11:27:37 PM

The FUD will certainly be bigger because this time there isn't complete consensus on a hardfork where as segwit was eventually locked in with more or less 100% of mining power.

This creates uncertainty and a much higher chance of a chain split meaning much higher chance of extreme FUD as it happens.
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2111

View Profile
July 25, 2017, 07:31:43 AM

Segwit was a comparative piece of piss - a thoroughly tested, ready to roll soft fork. A hard fork is a different beast and I don't think the developers will have enough weight to convince anyone else to run it.

There is no way every exchange, miner, economic player and wallet is going to leap wholesale into code that's a few weeks old developed in private. That's a fucking joke.

That won't prevent a 2MB fork from happening. We already see with BCC that some parties are willing to fork off without consensus and widespread support, something similar may very well happen again.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 25, 2017, 08:59:30 AM

That won't prevent a 2MB fork from happening. We already see with BCC that some parties are willing to fork off without consensus and widespread support, something similar may very well happen again.

This fork is supposed to be essence of non contention. It won't be. It'll be ignored by the majority. Then we'll have even more free and irrelevant forkcoins.
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2111

View Profile
July 25, 2017, 01:18:11 PM

This fork is supposed to be essence of non contention. It won't be. It'll be ignored by the majority. Then we'll have even more free and irrelevant forkcoins.

What makes you so sure of it? Before Bip 91 a lot of miners where signalling for BU (at times even more than for Segwit). The Segwitx2 proposal seems to find more community acceptance than BU ever did. So what makes you so sure that no hard fork will occur? Questionable code rarely stopped anyone. It doesn't need all miners to fork, only a significant amount.
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 2148

View Profile
July 25, 2017, 02:00:49 PM

Bitcoin community had a lot of newcomers with very weak hands in a past few months, and someone successful planted in their minds an idea that chain split = doom. So when users simply discussing potential forks, confused newbies are getting scared even though no one tried to intentionally spread FUD. This increases volatility to new levels, as many people are in constant panic state and sell/buy emotionally.
So, I think the price will be very unstable until the drama is officially over, and then we'll go to the moon.
minizi99

Activity: 242

View Profile
July 25, 2017, 07:30:02 PM

Bitcoin community had a lot of newcomers with very weak hands in a past few months, and someone successful planted in their minds an idea that chain split = doom. So when users simply discussing potential forks, confused newbies are getting scared even though no one tried to intentionally spread FUD. This increases volatility to new levels, as many people are in constant panic state and sell/buy emotionally.
So, I think the price will be very unstable until the drama is officially over, and then we'll go to the moon.

Drama is unlikely to ever officially end. I understand that some people get a big profit from the fact that the price of bitcoin periodically falls from bad news about the split. This is a manipulation that has been working for several months
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 12:39:41 AM

The ONLY way I see a hardfork happening is if it takes at least up to 1 to 1 and a half years in preparation. If you google "bitcoin hardfork research" you will see a link with all the research that is being done in preparation for an hypothetical hardfork. There's something called spoonnet that apparently it's a big deal, I still need to do research on that.
GregH37
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1037

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 09:31:17 PM

What is it going to November on the place of 1 Aug? Like it didn't get what are you saying kindly tell me in a simple words that I can get the question answer as you said. Like we have hard work and ready for 1 August now 1 August replace with 1 November like I’m not getting this step I would like to say that it might be fake news. Because they have posted there self for 1 August.
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 01:49:53 AM

Look what you have done to this community, just read the above poster comment and concerns after understanding what his concerns are, lol.
Hard forks without majority consensus are the things Core team trying to avoid as any body with some brain would like to avoid.
I haven't seen anywhere any body talking about a simple block size increase, but I'd say lets remove asicboost and increase the block size but lets do it with 95% consensus, this way both sides are compromising equally, we need to do what is best for Bitcoin, results matters not short time profit.

🖤😏
Pejoh Asu

Activity: 1484
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 07:21:57 AM

This is the hardest test for bitcoin, everything will be so determined in the next few days, I hope there is no serious problem with hard fork on August 1st and bitcoin will brilliantly.

▄▄███▄    ▄███▄▄
     ▄▀▀    █    █    ▀▀▄
    ██    ▄▄▀    ▀▄▄    ██
    ▀▄▄▄█▀▀        ▀▀█▄▄▄▀
  ▄▄█▀█▄              ▄█▀█▄▄
▄█▀     ▀▀█▄     ▄▄█▀▀     ▀█▄
██          ▀█▄▄█▀          ██
▀█▄     ▄▄▄█▀▀  ▀▀▀▄▄▄     ▄█▀
  ▀█▄▄▄▀▀            ▀▀▄▄▄█▀
   █▀▀▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▀▀█
   ██  ▀▀▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▀  ██
    ▀▄     █      █     ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▀      ▀▄▄▄▀▀
cogwise
  ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
Hyper-charge your trading with intelligent insights   ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
█████  ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▀███████
█████  █████  ██▄▀█████
█████  █▀▀██▄▄▄▄  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████

█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

sweerty1

Activity: 453
Merit: 251

Presale Starting May 1st

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 09:06:06 AM

I don't think hardfork is ever gonna happen to bitcoin at all. It is working finished product with no other bugs. Improving usefulness is more important so I think segwit is better and will happen safely.

▄▄██▄▄
 ▄▄██████████▄▄
████████████████
████████████████
█████▀▀  ▀▀█████
█▀▀          ▀▀█
     ▄▄██▄▄
 ▄▄██████████▄▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████