Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:04:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Fundraising] Finish “Ultimate blockchain compression”  (Read 25509 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 02:20:36 PM

So how far is this? Still under development?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tubbyjr

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:08:57 PM

Any news on this yet or you got enough BTC already?
dansmith

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 01:34:20 PM

I am therefore requesting a total of 195btc to finish the implementation as described above. If this is received by the end of the month, then I can promise the deliverable by the end of the year.

maaku, was there a deliverable as per your promise?

https://tlsnotary.org
Transferable webpage content notarization.
maaku (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:01:17 AM

Oy, there is something wrong as I have not been receiving email updates about this thread. My apologies to everyone.

So an update on the current status:

A BIP describing the authenticated prefix tree resulting from my research has been published to the developer mailing list, and is available for view online. The feedback I got from that is being worked into a 2nd version of the proposal which is nearing completion (I'm currently adding descriptions of the peer-to-peer messages and JSON-RPC APIs, then it is finished).

I also have about 80% written of a BIP describing the validation index, the outline of one describing the wallet index, and an assortment of notes towards two future BIPs related to document timestamping and merged mining improvements. These are the first deliverables, as once developer consensus is achieved other people can start working on implementations of these various features.

Besides the python implementation hosted on Github, there's a C++ implementation suitable for inclusion in the reference client that is about half finished. It could use a lot more unit tests.

However since funding mostly dried up after Armory's very generous donation some months back, I have been working on this proposal only part time (1-2 days per week). The rest of my time is spent on various other funded projects including CoinJoin and preparation for blockchain pruning. Work has not stopped, just slowed down.

@dansmith, unfortunately I think there's some confusion. I did not switch addresses between the first and the second funding rounds, so most of the money received at that address was for the first round. (And, while it sounds like a lot, bitcoin was worth an order of magnitude less back then and it was mostly cashed out upon receipt. Too bad I don't have a knack for predicting markets :\ ) I was unable to finish out the round, so I've been forced to take on other (thankfully related) work as well which has unfortunately slowed things down.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:05:16 PM

Any update on this?
maaku (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 09:41:38 PM

Here is something I just posted on a related pull request last night:

The UTXO commitments I'm working on are currently developer-time limited. There's a working Python implementation and complete test vectors, as well as an optimized commitment mechanism (#3977, which needs a rebase), and C++ serialization code for the proofs. All we need is the C++ code for updating proofs, and the LevelDB backend. So if there are other bitcoind hackers out there interested in doing this The Right Way, contact me. However it requires a soft-fork, so rolling it out necessitates some degree of developer consensus, community eduction, and miner voting process (or the beneficence of ghash.io...), all of which together requires as much as a year if past experience is a judge.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 10:05:45 PM

So you went away from using available fields e.g. in coinbase and going for a forking solution?

What about the new open data fields for transactions? Any way to fit a UTXO hash in there and come to some kind of consensus e.g. via Proof of Stake?

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
maaku (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 10:16:13 PM

UTXO commitments have always required a soft-fork, whether they are added to the coinbase or separate commitment transactions.

What open data fields in transactions? Do you mean OP_RETURN? If so, see my pull request for a soft-fork change to enable this kind of miner commitments with compact proofs:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/3977

I would not put proof of stake anywhere near a consensus system. Not with current designs at least.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: