Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 09:46:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Average payout with 5 GH/s + Slush's Pool  (Read 3313 times)
bdangles (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 09:16:43 PM

Im thinking about getting the $250 ASIC from BFL. What do you think the average daily payout will be if i pool with slush?

Also does anyone know the power consumption of BFL's ASICs? I know Avalon's is 600W

thank you
bdangles (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 09:19:17 PM

Also with the recent switch to GH/s, has the mining of bitcoin stabilized or is it still getting harder and harder (like exponential, due to the recent switch to ASICs)?
Gamah

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 09:25:07 PM

If you could get one RIGHT NOW they'd pay for themselves in about 9-10 days... unfortunately there still isn't any real conformation that they are shipping in any kind of significant quantity... could be over a year before you get one you order... :/

by then it's not unlikely people will be pushing 500+ghash on their own with DIY asic chips.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 09:33:31 PM

Also with the recent switch to GH/s, has the mining of bitcoin stabilized or is it still getting harder and harder (like exponential, due to the recent switch to ASICs)?

It is still getting harder and harder:

http://blockchain.info/charts/hash-rate
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 09:35:49 PM

They use around 40w from what I've heard. If you get get your hands on one right now then you would get 1/3 of a btc a day but every 2 weeks you wait, it gets harder and harder and if you order one now it would take much longer to get your money back by the time you received it.
djmarsat

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 09:37:42 PM

by then it's not unlikely people will be pushing 500+ghash on their own with DIY asic chips.

You'd need to put in a considerable investment. Developing ASIC chips is not cheap. You'd need several million spare for development and more. I doubt BFL will let any old tom dick or harry use their IP. I'm sure there are many more companies like BFL will appear over time. It's a good thing for BitCoin companies are sinking this much in R&D. Difficulty continues to increase...
FlorianW

Activity: 26

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 09:41:52 PM

Bitshire was talking about the Avalon chips, sold since 3 weeks in batches of 10k for 750 Btc. 
A group buy of those is probably your best bet right now.
bdangles (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 12:03:31 AM

oh...well that makes me sad about BFL's shipping times. and avalons are too expensive

what are your recommendations for joining bitcoin mining as a beginner?
im looking for something cheap and effective miner that can net me atleast $25/day (.2 BTC right now). So should i build a GPU miner, buy an ASIC off ebay, or maybe an FPGA?
raze

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 12:55:08 AM

Im thinking about getting the $250 ASIC from BFL. What do you think the average daily payout will be if i pool with slush?

Also does anyone know the power consumption of BFL's ASICs? I know Avalon's is 600W

thank you

I was like this when I first heard about BFL, and I was pretty excited and close to buying from them. Then I read a bit about them. Oh well.

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
FlorianW

Activity: 26

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:20:13 AM

Nothing cheap is going to get you .2 btc per day. You would need about 4 GH/s for that right now.  I am betting on Avalon chips. If i get them in August at about 2.5 btc per 5.6 Gh unit I am a happy camper. 
Don't buy GPUs just for mining right now, you will never see your money back.

Best advice is read up on it before investing and never invest more than you can afford to lose.
Kennji

Activity: 84

Mine Litecoins.

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:24:29 AM

Who knows.  By the time you get your BFL (probably December, if that) the difficulty will be SO HIGH that you cannot figure it out.

LTC - LKcrBEAbuW85obSbHnmw7y8XWWufWqjsxx
BTC - 1JseeJ4h2XsShmaj1ci2J3kWA6qhCfj52U
ik2013

Activity: 110

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 05:40:26 AM

The price on the Jalapeno is very enticing but you have to realize they haven't fulfilled any significant quantity of orders yet, and there are people that ordered a YEAR AGO that are still waiting, dealing with a seemingly constant flow of new excuses. I would stay away, especially since they apparently revised their terms of sale to stop people from asking for refunds recently. I almost fell for it too. If they started shipping tomorrow I might change my tune but it's not likely.

Single board ATX power supply interface for Raspberry Pi: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=263567.msg2815917#msg2815917    Like my work? Donations accepted here: 1FXYreNr35PzZVimEQkSzR68EdNutqefYh   I sell on Tindie: https://www.tindie.com/stores/KD8SSF/     Reputation thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=264089.0
BitshireHashaway

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 05:44:58 AM

You'd need to put in a considerable investment. Developing ASIC chips is not cheap. You'd need several million spare for development and more. I doubt BFL will let any old tom dick or harry use their IP. I'm sure there are many more companies like BFL will appear over time. It's a good thing for BitCoin companies are sinking this much in R&D. Difficulty continues to increase...

There is someone whose already developed a board for Avalon's Asics which they are releasing in batches of 10,000. You would need 10,000 to build yourself a 1.5 th/s rig... and I calculated once, the cost of that rig would be like $200,000 using the guy whose already built the board for help. At the current difficulty, that's like 60 btc/day or $6000 a day which means it would pay itself off rather quicky if you could have it now. .2 BTC a day (which I've heard is 4gh/s from another post on this topic) requires 8 GPU which you would put on 2 motherboards or around a $4000 investment + 2kw/h of power~
BitshireHashaway

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 05:46:10 AM

oh...well that makes me sad about BFL's shipping times. and avalons are too expensive

im looking for something cheap and effective miner that can net me atleast $25/day (.2 BTC right now). So should i build a GPU miner, buy an ASIC off ebay, or maybe an FPGA?

FPGA's you can buy though there less effective. Try and get Asics already out there. I saw a USB one which did 300mh/s and is available now. (on this forum in a thread somewhere)... you would need 13 so 26btc.
bdangles (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:11:42 PM

yeah ill stay away from BFL. i might end up buying a bitcoin and holding it for a few months, considering in january a bitcoin was $15, lol.

and theres no way im spending $8,000 on an avalon
bdangles (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:43:17 PM

FPGA's you can buy though there less effective. Try and get Asics already out there. I saw a USB one which did 300mh/s and is available now. (on this forum in a thread somewhere)... you would need 13 so 26btc.

how exactly does one use an FPGA? I saw the ultra low cost DIY fpga post (by rph), but theres no explanation. I would be fine with doing my own DIY fpga if it keeps costs down, but i cant find any tutorials/examples w/ a place to buy parts.
BitcoinBoss

Activity: 404
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 10:05:47 PM

If you order from BFL don't expect to be mining soon, people are still waiting for orders that were placed over a year ago. Smiley

FREE BITCOIN ! ---> FreeBitco.in (Faucet + Multiplier) <--- FREE BITCOIN !
ocmoho

Activity: 137

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:06:24 PM

anyone with a link to a DIY asic?
miztic

Activity: 21

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:08:02 PM

I'm still researching building my own miner with avalon chips, it seems doable, there's a guy working on an open source board design.
I expect my gpu (amd 7970) to be unprofitable by december or so.
miztic

Activity: 21

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:08:33 PM

anyone with a link to a DIY asic?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=190731.0 <-- still under development but getting there.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: