Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:36:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happen to mining profitability?  (Read 4381 times)
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 12:58:38 AM

So again, if your belief is that the coin(s) you are interested in mining are going to continue to go up in value, after all that is why you are willing to invest $1,000's of dollars in hardware that might in maybe 1 year break even, why not instead invest $1,000's directly into the coin(s) and in 1 year be in profit, not just at break even?

GPU mining is the lowest risk entry point because you always have a price on physical equipment. This is especially important to newcomes due to unease / fear of a new (to them) technology - you can't have your cards stolen / deleted / lost etc.

Yes, exactly. Now this is the post that should be sticky.
Keywords are: lowest risk
Haryford

Activity: 61
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 05:08:44 PM

So again, if your belief is that the coin(s) you are interested in mining are going to continue to go up in value, after all that is why you are willing to invest $1,000's of dollars in hardware that might in maybe 1 year break even, why not instead invest $1,000's directly into the coin(s) and in 1 year be in profit, not just at break even?

GPU mining is the lowest risk entry point because you always have a price on physical equipment. This is especially important to newcomes due to unease / fear of a new (to them) technology - you can't have your cards stolen / deleted / lost etc.

Yes, exactly. Now this is the post that should be sticky.
Keywords are: lowest risk

If the ETH price drops 60% from here, mining will not be profitable for most people. That is risky.
abudfv2008

Activity: 728
Merit: 106

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 05:51:34 PM

If the ETH price drops 60% from here, mining will not be profitable for most people. That is risky.
It will be only in case if eth drop with all other coins.
hous26

Activity: 462
Merit: 115

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 06:14:03 PM

The difficulty has increased tremendously.  Sometimes it shot and sometimes it's cold.  Best to just keep mining since it's definitely still profitable.  Plus you never know, the .007 eth your 1060 mines today could be worth 5 bones by this time next year!
antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 06:38:31 PM

From a miner point of view eth dropping 60% would have about the same effect as eth going 50% pos. Yep, not possible but you get the idea.

Half of the current eth nethash looking for a new home, what could it possibly be? xmr, etc and zec. Everyone knows what that would mean.
Cacapzarg

Activity: 44

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 03:57:49 PM

From a miner point of view eth dropping 60% would have about the same effect as eth going 50% pos. Yep, not possible but you get the idea.

Half of the current eth nethash looking for a new home, what could it possibly be? xmr, etc and zec. Everyone knows what that would mean.

I think that is the reason why the difficulty of ZEC or XMR is so high.
AY000804

Activity: 33

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 03:00:39 AM

With the difficulty rising and many new miner joining , mining profitability is really not so high now. But if can cover the electricity cost and still be able to profit a little then I think it is still worth it.

When my friend invite me to join mining, they already said ROI is around 1 year, just the starting profit too high and make us lost our patient.
Luxasd

Activity: 504
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 05:57:48 AM

With the difficulty rising and many new miner joining , mining profitability is really not so high now. But if can cover the electricity cost and still be able to profit a little then I think it is still worth it.

When my friend invite me to join mining, they already said ROI is around 1 year, just the starting profit too high and make us lost our patient.

Starting to mine right now is definitely not worth it. Profitability has greatly decreased! I hope I can pay off at least one year. Although I do not even know what will happen in 2 months ...
timbereagle

Activity: 881
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 06:07:12 AM

This time low profitability is not related with 2016 end-2017 start time.

At that time it was about low price but now it is about very high difficulty.

For sure it is not recommendable to start mining nowadays.

Only game changing action for mining would be a very new coin like ETH/ ZCASH to emerge and profitable mining.

EMWEE

Activity: 238
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 07:05:10 AM

Your better of just buying some coins on the market with that money your willing to spend on a rig.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project  ☞ Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux
ZEROtoken

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 07:17:52 AM

Majority of mining was driven by ETH which price make substantial growth this year, other alts were following this path. Now the difficulty has raised too much for mining to be profitable in short term.
Currently it is not worth investing in mining equipment as roi time is more than a year.
Sev18

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 01:12:15 PM

Only thinking about ETH, buying coins instead of mining rigs is right.
But considering the other PoW coins after ETH, mining still has potentials.
The huge wave of PoW to PoS is making it very complicated.

■■■■■■■  Multi-Algo Switching Manager - MULTIPOOL MULTIALGO Profit Switch Launcher  ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■             https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2041971             ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■                           Download Now!                           ■■■■■■■
Haryford

Activity: 61

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 12:27:53 PM

At the moment, the ROI is too long. It is better to buy the coins directly.
Cacapzarg

Activity: 44

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 01:04:43 PM

At the moment, the ROI is too long. It is better to buy the coins directly.

It is quite possible that some whales will pump the altcoin so it will be profitable to mine again.
EMWEE

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 01:39:10 PM

At this moment mining ETH is still profitable. The ROI on the other hand is way to high. I do not mine to make a load of money but pure supporting the community. If i wanted to make the load of money in a short peroid of time i would just buy crypto on a exchange. Everyone has a other motive to be in the crypto world. Making a lot of money in a short peroid of time if really hard and many will fail.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project  ☞ Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux
Yesterdam

Activity: 59

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 01:47:49 PM

At this moment mining ETH is still profitable. The ROI on the other hand is way to high. I do not mine to make a load of money but pure supporting the community. If i wanted to make the load of money in a short peroid of time i would just buy crypto on a exchange. Everyone has a other motive to be in the crypto world. Making a lot of money in a short peroid of time if really hard and many will fail.

It depends on your cards. If it is nVidia 1080, it is better to mine ZEC.
TRexMcStubyArms

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 03:09:26 PM

I too went back and forth on ROI with simply investing in coin versus investing in mining.  Yes, I'm going to have a 9 month payback on my rig, but I'll still have the physical hardware that isn't ASIC.

I *might* lose my coins
The coins *might* become worthless
The cost of electricity *might* go way up

I obviously am betting that won't be the case but it's all possible.  I've been watching Ebay and Amazon for used equipment and they're all selling at 80% of new cost.  Hell you can see that on a car the moment you drive it off the lot.  The equipment I chose for the mining rig can be re-sold to people who want to use it for it's original intended purpose such as rendering or gaming and I don't think that's going to go away anytime soon.  Well I hope not anyway or life won't nearly be as fun  Grin

EMWEE

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 03:33:09 PM

Yes indeed, i wish i had bought nVidia but running all AMD now.

Yesterdam

Activity: 59

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 11:57:59 AM

Yes indeed, i wish i had bought nVidia but running all AMD now.

You can use your nVidia for ETH or ETC.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: