Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:24:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Restrictions for newbies  (Read 1364 times)
redemptor

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 02:39:22 AM

It's a small hurdle at worst.Anything pertinent to post today,will probably have relevance tomorrow.Also, some of the better threads are in the "newbie" section.
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
YaCoinYeah

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 02:49:59 AM

There's a learning curve that has to be understood for actual noobies. Give 'em 4 hours to drink up the vast knowledge before jumping in head first
joehop67

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:44:33 AM

Being a literal newbie I understand them fully. Its just basically to prove that you are "trust worthy" enough to use these forms and to also prove that you aren't just going to sign up and spam other sub sections of this forum.

1KmVXSbnjwtvxXKLGyD145CWJzZs6afkxL
Aragami

Activity: 79

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:57:14 AM

Being a literal newbie I understand them fully. Its just basically to prove that you are "trust worthy" enough to use these forms and to also prove that you aren't just going to sign up and spam other sub sections of this forum.

Kind of, think of it this way; there is no real security in the world.

Why do people have fences? To deter people from entering their property of course.... but i can just jump your fence if i wanted to. (hence extra effort required)
Why do people have firewalls? To stop people from Trololololing their servers yo. But i mean hey, if i wanted to, i could physically make an effort to break into the property of X business, plug in my ethernets into their ports, and hax0r their servers. (hence extra effort required)

The "Newbie" restriction sort of works in the same way. It prevents nothing for sure, but what it does get rid of is auto signups by bots and if bots get through, theyll be restricted to the newbie forum and go crazy. So someone would have to write up a specific bot to hax0r these forums if they wanted to do it that bad. But then there is the passphrase step as well which bots have a hard time getting by on the signup phase. (notice all these steps to put a whole bunch of extra effort required in for the hax0rs out there?)

Just because a legit newbie posts on the newbie forum doesn't mean they're trust worthy at all. I've been lurking these forums for months now and i've seen lots of untrustworthy idiots posting on other subforums on bitcointalk. Even people that were recently labeled as "Scammer" when they had over 300 posts on their account.

What the newbie forum does do, is hopefully direct us noobs here so we read up on all the stickies and random bits and peices, so we can respect the rules put in places by the moderators - this is their home afterall.
joehop67

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:02:35 AM

Why do people have fences? To deter people from entering their property of course.... but i can just jump your fence if i wanted to. (hence extra effort required)
Why do people have firewalls? To stop people from Trololololing their servers yo. But i mean hey, if i wanted to, i could physically make an effort to break into the property of X business, plug in my ethernets into their ports, and hax0r their servers. (hence extra effort required)

The "Newbie" restriction sort of works in the same way. It prevents nothing for sure, but what it does get rid of is auto signups by bots and if bots get through, theyll be restricted to the newbie forum and go crazy. So someone would have to write up a specific bot to hax0r these forums if they wanted to do it that bad. But then there is the passphrase step as well which bots have a hard time getting by on the signup phase. (notice all these steps to put a whole bunch of extra effort required in for the hax0rs out there?)

Just because a legit newbie posts on the newbie forum doesn't mean they're trust worthy at all. I've been lurking these forums for months now and i've seen lots of untrustworthy idiots posting on other subforums on bitcointalk. Even people that were recently labeled as "Scammer" when they had over 300 posts on their account.

What the newbie forum does do, is hopefully direct us noobs here so we read up on all the stickies and random bits and peices, so we can respect the rules put in places by the moderators - this is their home afterall.

Well I never said it was a fool proof plan. A dedicated scammer could pull out 5 posts in little more than 5 Min. and then they could just leave their browser open and play some mine sweeper or what ever. I think they do this also (because your reasons are awesome too) to sort of deter the lesser of the spammers/scammers who don't have the Patience for it.

Just an Idea.

boyohi

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:06:42 AM

One day i'll be able to post with the big boys Smiley
raze

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:32:51 AM

Well I never said it was a fool proof plan. A dedicated scammer could pull out 5 posts in little more than 5 Min. and then they could just leave their browser open and play some mine sweeper or what ever. I think they do this also (because your reasons are awesome too) to sort of deter the lesser of the spammers/scammers who don't have the Patience for it.

Just an Idea.

Pretty sure you can't just leave the browser open. You'd have to at least refresh, or go to another page, which is a little more prevention.

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
mixdio

Activity: 20

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:34:32 AM

I wonder how this policy affects participation in the context of the 1% rule.
joehop67

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:36:49 AM

Just an Idea.

Pretty sure you can't just leave the browser open. You'd have to at least refresh, or go to another page, which is a little more prevention.

Well you could just make an auto refresher.

bitcointrader55

Activity: 63
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:43:45 AM

One day i'll be able to post with the big boys Smiley

until then...you play with us, lol.
Aragami

Activity: 79

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:33:11 AM

Well you could just make an auto refresher.

I use to use auto refreshers bacccccccck in the day of neopets =D they figured it was an excellent idea to push out completely random events to some of their pages, so if you had a refresher going, you'd stock up on tonnes of valuable freebies.

Bitcointalk = Neopets? =p
Khanage

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:40:19 AM

I understand the reasoning for the restrictions, but theyre a bit of a pain in the backside, especially when I need to ask questions in other sections
enderbender

Activity: 32

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:37:32 AM

Does anybody else think the newbies restriction doesn't make sense?

The four hours thing does, I think.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:43:02 AM

I think it does stop the creation of some spam accounts. Mostly because of the time limit, which isn't hard to reach if you're a legitimate user. However, if you were trying to create 50 spam/scam accounts, I wouldn't want to be the one managing them all to 4 browsing hours.

I think the timer is a great thing, but the whole "x posts" is a little detrimental I think. It sucks when you're like me, someone who's lurked for quite a while (hours a day) and signed up an account to respond to a thread today, only to find out you can't because you now need x posts and x time spent logged in as well.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
sour_diesel

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 07:52:43 AM

I think it makes sense, but I still think it is somewhat annoying.
I just want to talk about gambling, but can't!
sharky101

Activity: 108

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:14:35 AM

It's understandable, but yet annoying when you want to participate in the auctions.

ASICMINERTUBE

The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far
   ►►►   DISCOVER NOW !!!   ◄◄◄
yoogi68

Activity: 93

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:15:56 AM

It's bearable  Grin

1GTMraeoB8bZKtK5GMdNeLKvLTcDTMMV3H
LNyUibjMcdakPDivs5KnxWyTLdet5jZnu8
coinberg

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:32:57 AM

The restrictions were introduced back when sockpuppet accounts from Something Awful trolls were so rampant to the point where they outnumbered the genuine users in number of posts. So the goons kind of won in their attack to disrupt the forum.
Sjoepap

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:37:43 AM

same here. I just would like to send somebody a PM message but am unable to do so since I am a newbie.

4 more hours to wait then...
jiangyaokai

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:43:41 AM

Four posts and five hours still seem rather cruel. Especially when you want to make a transaction. (trying to buy something here...)
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: