Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:34:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][BEWARE] Boxman90 = Criminal (Extortion)  (Read 2641 times)
drlukacs

Activity: 854
Merit: 253

l0tt0.com

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:33:54 AM

I am not sure which jurisdiction the people involved in this saga are living in. In general, my understanding is that there is one and only one legal threat: "If you do not pay, I will sue you."

If the lawsuit is unrelated, it can still be considered "abuse of process," but other than that, it is a perfectly legitimate tool to coerce people into compliance with the law.

Threatening to publish something about someone or someone's work if the person refuses to pay (or do something) does strike me as a form extortion. At least it would likely be viewed as such under the Criminal Code of Canada (s. 346).

Now as for the coin itself, if it was pre-mined, and the creator represented to the public to the contrary, then the creator may also be committing some sort of fraud.

But two wrongs do not make a right: If Boxman90 had a reason to believe that NWO was involved in wrongdoing, then he had every right to publish it, because arguably it was in the public interest. But he did not have the right to use it to demand payment from NWO.

WHIRLWIND
|
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
        ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄         █
     ▄▄██▀▀▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄        █A
    ▄██▀▄██▀▄▀▀▀ ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄     █
   ███ ██▀▄▀     ▄▄▀▄▄ ▀█▄   █
  ███ ███ █        ▀▄ █▄ ██  █
  ███ ███ █         █ ██ ██  █
  ███ ███ █        ▄▀ █▀ ██  █
   ███ ██▄▀▄     ▀▀▄▀▀ ▄█▀   █
    ▀██▄▀██▄▀▄▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀     █
     ▀▀██▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀        █
        ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀         █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
  No Fee    Ultimate Privacy  
ANONYMITY
MINING CAMPAIGN
MIX NOW
|
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
0150r

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:02:34 AM

To be a criminal you actually need to perform a crime. He did not perform one if I'm reading your post correctly.

Code:
Whoever, under a threat of informing, or as a consideration for not informing ... 
demands or receives any money or other valuable thing, shall be fined ...
or imprisoned not more than one year, or both. 18 USC paragraph 873 -

It works better if you don't summarize...

Whoever, under a threat of informing, or as a consideration for not informing, against any violation
of any law of the United States

So, the only way Boxman90 could have committed a crime would be if NWO committed a crime. Pre-mining a digital currency isn't a crime, so this does not apply.
NWO (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:00:23 AM

NWO no need to blame Boxman90, even what he said is true, it is 1200 blocks only. I am still mining PWC. When CNC launched, 2000+ blocks premined, so what? CNC still goes to btw-e.com in 6 days. lol, 1200 blocks sounds like nothing to me. Now about 13000 blocks mined.  Grin

Exactly. Let the haters rot and miss out on PowerCoin's success.
Nolo

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:01:57 AM

NWO no need to blame Boxman90, even what he said is true, it is 1200 blocks only. I am still mining PWC. When CNC launched, 2000+ blocks premined, so what? CNC still goes to btw-e.com in 6 days. lol, 1200 blocks sounds like nothing to me. Now about 13000 blocks mined.  Grin

Just out of curiosity NWO, why do you believe PowerCoin will be successful when most of the newly released altcoins have failed?   Not trolling, just looking for the dev's input.  

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
AlternativeCypt

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:02:39 AM

Are you so delusional to call PWC a success? Biggest failcoin to have happened. Sorry  Kiss
0150r

Activity: 58

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:27:08 AM

What makes your copy/paste coin any better than all the other failed litecoin forks? There needs to be a reason for it to be adopted other than a get rich quick mentality of being an early adopter. That's truly the only reason why people would mine a new coin right now. Look at FTC/CNC, when the get rich quick attitude wore off, it's value (or lack there of) was brought to light. The problem with a get rich quick copy/paste coin is that the early adopters need a way to keep it going to remain profitable. When mining difficulty rises and the profitability falls to what LTC or BTC are, there isn't a reason to continue mining. Why mine an unproven coin at the same dollar per day rate as something that has proven sustained value? That is when a copy and paste coin dies. Your coin didn't even make it that far because we've seen this before and don't want to try it again. Stop trying, give up, be quiet.
Simran

Activity: 714

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 12:01:14 PM

The only success there will be is the success of making a few dollar bills to pay for your next lunch, dipshit. There's a reason why the genesis block did not hold a regular amount of coins. Not only are you a pussy for making this thread, you are retarded for thinking that anyone would back you up. Grow up.

Are you so delusional to call PWC a success? Biggest failcoin to have happened. Sorry  Kiss

You're delusional for promoting YAK coins. Go clean up their shit, and continue on with your poor ass life.

*Image Removed*
Donate LTC: LRgbgTa3XNQSEUhnwC6Ye2vjiCV2CNRpib
Donate BTC: 1AGP6xPTRvsAVhsRsBX13NUH6p6LJjyeiA
Simran

Activity: 714

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 12:01:31 PM

What makes your copy/paste coin any better than all the other failed litecoin forks? There needs to be a reason for it to be adopted other than a get rich quick mentality of being an early adopter. That's truly the only reason why people would mine a new coin right now. Look at FTC/CNC, when the get rich quick attitude wore off, it's value (or lack there of) was brought to light. The problem with a get rich quick copy/paste coin is that the early adopters need a way to keep it going to remain profitable. When mining difficulty rises and the profitability falls to what LTC or BTC are, there isn't a reason to continue mining. Why mine an unproven coin at the same dollar per day rate as something that has proven sustained value? That is when a copy and paste coin dies. Your coin didn't even make it that far because we've seen this before and don't want to try it again. Stop trying, give up, be quiet.

This!

*Image Removed*
Donate LTC: LRgbgTa3XNQSEUhnwC6Ye2vjiCV2CNRpib
Donate BTC: 1AGP6xPTRvsAVhsRsBX13NUH6p6LJjyeiA
drlukacs

l0tt0.com

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:49:11 PM

So, the only way Boxman90 could have committed a crime would be if NWO committed a crime. Pre-mining a digital currency isn't a crime, so this does not apply.

1. Pre-mining, in and on its own is not. Representing to people that it was not pre-mined and causing financial losses or disadvantages is a crime, possibly a fraud.

2. Extortion, whatever form it takes, is a crime. For example, one can threaten to publish embarrassing photos about a person  if the person does not pay. It is clearly extortion and it is clearly a crime.

WHIRLWIND
|
        ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄         █
        ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀         █
ANONYMITY
MINING CAMPAIGN
MIX NOW
|
Praxis
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:53:53 PM

1. Pre-mining, in and on its own is not. Representing to people that it was not pre-mined and causing financial losses or disadvantages is a crime, possibly a fraud.

2. Extortion, whatever form it takes, is a crime. For example, one can threaten to publish embarrassing photos about a person  if the person does not pay. It is clearly extortion and it is clearly a crime.

This. Except NWO never promised there would be 0 premine. He always said there would be a very small premine to pay the programmer and to give some for free (bounties and giveaway). I thought that was pretty upfront and honest. I don't see the big problem, 50k coins is a drop in the Ocean compared to all the other premines (including the Litecoin one - some were GPU mining it from the get go ...) -

Extortion though, is a crime and is illegal and immoral. The only bad person here is Boxman90 who wanted to extort for 25.000 Powercoins.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:54:44 PM

He tried to extort you? What, monopoly money? Go and explain to a judge what PWC is.

Your very PWC is another scam coin worth nothing. Good luck with your "project", made only with a quick buck in mind.

Praxis
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:56:08 PM

He tried to extort you? What, monopoly money? Go and explain to a judge what PWC is.

Your very PWC is another scam coin worth nothing. Good luck with your "project", made only with a quick buck in mind.

Hello troll.

PWC is being traded in another thread at this very moment. Yes, people are buying and selling it.

Judges are (unlike some people in this thread ...) intelligent people. If you tell them you're talking about valuable digital assets, they will understand.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:57:09 PM

Hello troll.

PWC is being traded in another thread at this very moment. Yes, people are buying and selling it.

Judges are (unlike some people in this thread ...) intelligent people. If you tell them you're talking about valuable digital assets, they will understand.

Yeah, PWC is super valuable.

Post quoted for future bump (when PWC will be worth 0).

Praxis
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:02:00 PM

Hello troll.

Yeah, PWC is super valuable.

Post quoted for future bump (when PWC will be worth 0).

I never said it's super valuable.
It's selling for 4 LTC / 1000 PWC right now, I believe.
You may agree or disagree with that valuation, your opinion is irrelevant though.
If there's demand, it's valuable.
Or should we instead get our valuation from you?
There's no "intrinsic" value of things, it's all supply/demand.
Welcome to the free market.
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:09:28 PM

OT: How is extortion a crime?

"Pay me $1000 or I'll release these pictures of you and a goat" -> You're the jerk who did wacky things with the goat. If it were me, I'd gladly pay $1000 to keep it quiet. In fact, if I did something shameful (assume legal) and someone had pictures of it, I may approach that person and offer money for his silence. I want to keep his interests with mine.

Don't get me wrong "Pay me $1000 or I'll cut your wife's thumb off" -> Illegal, as it involves violence. But the former case is a simple transaction benefiting both parties.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
Praxis
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:10:58 PM

"Pay me $1000 or I'll release these pictures of you and a goat" -> You're the jerk who did wacky things with the goat. If it were me, I'd gladly pay $1000 to keep it quiet. In fact, if I did something shameful (assume legal) and someone had pictures of it, I may approach that person and offer money for his silence. I want to keep his interests with mine.

Don't get me wrong "Pay me $1000 or I'll cut your wife's thumb off" -> Illegal, as it involves violence. But the former case is a simple transaction benefiting both parties.

Extortion is illegal regardless of what you think about it. If you think extortion is OK, that's your own perspective, but it's not how our society functions.
Lollaskates

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:25:46 PM

To be a criminal you actually need to perform a crime. He did not perform one if I'm reading your post correctly.

That we know of. I am looking for others to come forward. He ATTEMPTED to extort me but failed.

The community need to know about this individual. I am asking for anyone with further information to contact me immediately.
shut up

Extortion is illegal regardless of what you think about it. If you think extortion is OK, that's your own perspective, but it's not how our society functions.

and you too
Praxis
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:41:53 PM

That we know of. I am looking for others to come forward. He ATTEMPTED to extort me but failed.

The community need to know about this individual. I am asking for anyone with further information to contact me immediately.
shut up

and you too

"Shut up!" - what a great contribution to the discussion.
You have a bright future in this forum community.  Cheesy
drlukacs

l0tt0.com

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:00:43 PM

2. Extortion, whatever form it takes, is a crime. For example, one can threaten to publish embarrassing photos about a person  if the person does not pay. It is clearly extortion and it is clearly a crime.

This. Except NWO never promised there would be 0 premine. He always said there would be a very small premine to pay the programmer and to give some for free (bounties and giveaway). I thought that was pretty upfront and honest. I don't see the big problem, 50k coins is a drop in the Ocean compared to all the other premines (including the Litecoin one - some were GPU mining it from the get go ...) -

Extortion though, is a crime and is illegal and immoral. The only bad person here is Boxman90 who wanted to extort for 25.000 Powercoins.

I did not accuse NWO of anything. All I said is that if NWO pre-mined and denying having done so to the public, then it would be a crime.

WHIRLWIND
|
        ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄         █
        ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄▀▀         █
ANONYMITY
MINING CAMPAIGN
MIX NOW
|
jasonslow

Activity: 574

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 12:16:04 AM

Very immoral, I think boxman has many other accounts here continually posting negative things against powercoin. If you don't like it just leave it alone.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: