Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:37:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-E Down since 25.07.2017  (Read 3596 times)
sparkgap

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 07:02:18 PM

Newest tweet @ around 18:43 UTC july 27:

Update2: Ha дaнный мoмeнт вeдyтcя paбoты пo вoccтaнoвлeнию paбoты cepвиca. Пpимepныe cpoки oт 5 дo 10 днeй. Cпacибo зa пoнимaниe

From Google translate:

Update2: At the moment, work is underway to restore the service. Approximate terms from 5 to 10 days. Thank you for understanding
Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 08:19:20 PM

If they really are down due to moneylaundering concerns it will be a serious blow to bitcoin.

Btc-e servers are in russia. Russia's policies are very different from those of western nations. They don't support massive numbers of illegal immigrants migrating into russia. They chose to embrace technologies like blockchain. The opposite of what the united states is doing with senate bill 1241. I think russia also does not have the restrictive and oppressive programs implemented by the west to "prevent" money laundering.

Truth be told, HSBC bank has been caught laundering money for drug cartels, terrorists and other illicit groups for more than a decade. Its easy to find evidence proving this via google. No effort has ever been made to stop them.
platitude (OP)

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 01:19:23 AM

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndca/pr/russian-national-and-bitcoin-exchange-charged-21-count-indictment-operating-alleged
Thanks to FBI and i hope to see my (not so big) money soon
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 01:34:45 AM

Wishful thinking. BTC-e are not in the US.

platitude (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 01:44:24 AM

I thought the have seized it or have a plans to do so?
erk

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 01:48:50 AM

You can't seize crypto, that's the whole point. The person that has the private keys is the only one with access.

They could freeze the fiat bank accounts, but even then, BTC-e was not operating in the US, it's in Bulgaria part of the EU, so how do they make US charges stick?  If BTC-e had an office in the US that's would count, but the don't.

platitude (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 01:59:04 AM

You can't seize crypto, that's the whole point. The person that has the private keys is the only one with access.

They could freeze the fiat bank accounts, but even then, BTC-e was not operating in the US, it's in Bulgaria part of the EU, so how do they make US charges stick?  If BTC-e had an office in the US that's would count, but the don't.
I know the basics of crypto. I thought they already have access to private keys
jt byte

Activity: 994

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 01:17:18 PM

If they really are down due to moneylaundering concerns it will be a serious blow to bitcoin.

Btc-e servers are in russia. Russia's policies are very different from those of western nations. They don't support massive numbers of illegal immigrants migrating into russia. They chose to embrace technologies like blockchain. The opposite of what the united states is doing with senate bill 1241. I think russia also does not have the restrictive and oppressive programs implemented by the west to "prevent" money laundering.

Truth be told, HSBC bank has been caught laundering money for drug cartels, terrorists and other illicit groups for more than a decade. Its easy to find evidence proving this via google. No effort has ever been made to stop them.
Heard they are infact in Russia so not all laws apply to those citizens and companies there as they would if they were in the us.
Remember most if not all the major hackers have ties in Russia.
Just look at the wannacry creators.
Those are the biggest hackers out there since they have tools the fbi use so they know all their tricks and secrets already if they want to hack them and their sites.
btc_angela

Activity: 2646
Merit: 549

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 06:43:13 AM

So its finally confirmed that the owner of BTC-e was already arrested of suspicion of money laundering. And the hacked funds from Mt. Gox was being liquidated on BTC-e exchange. So I think that the case is strong now and sad to say that we won't see BTC-e soon. So if you have funds in that exchange, its gonna be bye bye. Although I'm not sure if the servers are located in Russia, if it is then US could have a hard time getting it for forensics to help them in their investigations.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
MAbtc

Merit: 508

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 07:24:23 AM

So its finally confirmed that the owner of BTC-e was already arrested of suspicion of money laundering. And the hacked funds from Mt. Gox was being liquidated on BTC-e exchange. So I think that the case is strong now and sad to say that we won't see BTC-e soon. So if you have funds in that exchange, its gonna be bye bye. Although I'm not sure if the servers are located in Russia, if it is then US could have a hard time getting it for forensics to help them in their investigations.

Nobody knows for sure where the servers were located. It is likely that the US authorities seized servers, but the easiest servers to locate could easily just have been running scripts back to remote servers (location unknown to the authorities). They are unlikely to be in Russia, as the Russian Federation banned BTC-E -- this is why Russians mainly use btc-e.nz rather than the .com domain.
platitude (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 11:26:02 AM

Nobody knows for sure where the servers were located. It is likely that the US authorities seized servers, but the easiest servers to locate could easily just have been running scripts back to remote servers (location unknown to the authorities). They are unlikely to be in Russia, as the Russian Federation banned BTC-E -- this is why Russians mainly use btc-e.nz rather than the .com domain.
BTC-E ban means nothing in Russia and their fiat connections are strong with russians(from Russia & Czech Republic). I've posted a lot info, mostly in russian thread(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2045826)
Today we still have xBTCe, for sure they are affiliated with BTC-E(in fact it's the same people trying to hide behind it). I hope FBI already working on how to catch and judge this people right in CZ (blink), they also can hide on russian territory. The most important is that even ISIS possibly(!) can be financed with BTC-E(xBTCe) money scheme. The most sad fact is that miners and traders lost they money for nothing, and I am one of them. Ciao, BTC-E!
Error 522

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 01:37:37 PM

The most important is that even ISIS possibly(!) can be financed with BTC-E(xBTCe) money scheme.

ISIS has been funded through mainline BANKS since it started.

platitude (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 07:11:39 PM

Okay, now we have 2 transactions from main BTC-E Ethereum address (https://etherscan.io/address/0x8eb3fa7907ad2ef4c7e3ba4b1d2f2aac6f4b5ae6)
illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 02:58:27 AM

Okay, now we have 2 transactions from main BTC-E Ethereum address (https://etherscan.io/address/0x8eb3fa7907ad2ef4c7e3ba4b1d2f2aac6f4b5ae6)

It's all been moved... but that still doesn't mean anything. The authorities could have moved it. Or BTC-e admins could have moved it. Or it could have been a dead man's switch / new automatic wallet creation. We really have no idea.

We'll see if the US government announces seizure of funds at some point... it's pretty embarrassing for them if they don't.
carlfebz2

Activity: 2968
Merit: 730

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 03:27:05 AM

It's all been moved... but that still doesn't mean anything. The authorities could have moved it. Or BTC-e admins could have moved it. Or it could have been a dead man's switch / new automatic wallet creation. We really have no idea.

We'll see if the US government announces seizure of funds at some point... it's pretty embarrassing for them if they don't.
This is what I do really want to know or read on whos the one who moved those funds. Either the admin of btc-e or the government,no one really knows. If those funds are moved by government then say goodbye for those bitcoins from its users. Until now theres no word yet from them regarding on the latest update about this issue. I know its really hard to accept if those funds are already gone.
illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 04:42:20 AM

This is what I do really want to know or read on whos the one who moved those funds. Either the admin of btc-e or the government,no one really knows. If those funds are moved by government then say goodbye for those bitcoins from its users. Until now theres no word yet from them regarding on the latest update about this issue. I know its really hard to accept if those funds are already gone.

The sad thing is that we all must accept this loss and move on, I think. If you were the owners, would you relaunch, and start playing a cat-and-mouse game with US law enforcement? They were a very big exchange with millions of users and lots of fiat and crypto liabilities. I hate to say it, but I just don't think relaunching is sensible from the perspective of the current owners/admins. The only way I see it working is if, by some miracle, the Russian government steps in to protect its residents on the exchange. But that's unlikely, since Russia banned BTC-e.com long ago to its residents...
btcney

Activity: 588

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 07:36:33 AM

Yeah. Basically BTC-e got seize by the feds. They are saying on their official twitter page that the site will be up in about 10 days maximum time but i really really doubt it. This was bound to happen though because they were simply violating way too many KYC laws and AML laws.

The situation though is pretty much still quite unknown... All we know is that nobody can redeem BTC-e codes anymore, and nobody can access the funds. All you can do is to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

This is another reason you should NOT use exchanges as a wallet to store your funds with. I mean that's just stupid when you can hold your own private keys in a desktop wallet, you're taking an unnecessary risk.
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 07:55:10 AM

Yeah. Basically BTC-e got seize by the feds. They are saying on their official twitter page that the site will be up in about 10 days maximum time but i really really doubt it. This was bound to happen though because they were simply violating way too many KYC laws and AML laws.

I honestly never saw it that way, since KYC was always required to move fiat money off the site. If this is true, then Bitfinex and Kraken must be at risk for similar action, because they (like BTC-e) allow unverified users to deposit/withdraw crypto and trade fiat markets, and they also allow US residents.

ruthbabe

Activity: 966
Merit: 275

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 03:08:40 PM

The situation though is pretty much still quite unknown... All we know is that nobody can redeem BTC-e codes anymore, and nobody can access the funds. All you can do is to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

This is another reason you should NOT use exchanges as a wallet to store your funds with. I mean that's just stupid when you can hold your own private keys in a desktop wallet, you're taking an unnecessary risk.
Yes, the desktop wallet is more secure than using exchanges as a wallet in storing fund, but since desktop wallet is still connected to the internet then I
think it's still unsafe. Well, it's okay if you're just storing a small amount of Bitcoin and other digital currencies but for a larger amount of Bitcoin, I would
recommend using hardware wallet, something like TREZOR, Ledger Nano S, and KeepKey.

platitude (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 02:32:23 AM

I can be that guy who will represent the interests of all victims. I can move around the Europe and US, meet with lawyers, help with documents and keep up do date everybody.
My benefits in it is you pay for a visas, tickets, accomodation and food(i'm okay to live in hostels)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: