Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:29:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-e.com down ! Police detains the owner .  (Read 21884 times)
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2070
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 09:18:53 AM

No one will get their money back from BTC-E.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
PhucS

Activity: 742
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 09:22:45 AM

A few days ago, BTC-e announced that it had been under maintenance for more than 24 hours, raising concerns among Bitcoin users that the platform was hacked. But it seems that now, another explanation for the disappearance of this trading floor is causing the community to lose their sleep. BTC-e owners were arrested and charged with money laundering. I read this news and felt that it was quite unexpected because BTC-e.com appears to be one of the largest electronic money trading platforms. Fortunately I did not send money to it
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2017, 09:24:22 AM

I have my account at Btc-e but never traded using that platform. Even though they most of the times had lowest rates of bitcoin on their exchange, I couldn't buy anything from their site as they had restrictions for the outsiders and going with another option of using VISA was a costlier option for me. However, I don't think it will affect the price of bitcoin massively because the current focus of the market is on 1 Aug event.
BeetcoinScummer

Activity: 215
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 09:28:36 AM

Pity, I have about 200 NMC there collected from years of merge mining. Should have converted them to BTC and withdrawn when I had the chance.

Who bothers to run their own NMC wallets anyway?
Gluestack

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

Tortle Ninja

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2017, 10:29:28 AM

No, they are trying to kill cryptocurrencies that are threatening US power gained thanks to controlling the dollar.
I dont think so, crypto space is relatively small, they dont need to destroy it, just to buy it. But the first measure in order to buy it all is to make all actors accountable, the efforts are going that direction, just my 2 cents Smiley
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 10:49:07 AM

It definitely starts to look like that. I mainly used BTC-E as arbitrage exchange, but haven't been as active there in the same manner as I used to be (lucky for me turns out).

If the exchange never comes backs again, I'll lose the $300 I had in fiat, but that by far doesn't come even close to what certain people have lost.

I fully acknowledge my mistake in this matter ~ I should have never left anything of value in an exchange that thrives on anonymity. I will stick to Bitstamp and Kraken from now on.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
volyova
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 12:29:12 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2017, 01:03:09 PM by volyova

Don't you guys know...it's not safe to keep money online.
aesma

Activity: 2436
Merit: 921

fly or die

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 12:38:14 PM

No, they are trying to kill cryptocurrencies that are threatening US power gained thanks to controlling the dollar.
I dont think so, crypto space is relatively small, they dont need to destroy it, just to buy it. But the first measure in order to buy it all is to make all actors accountable, the efforts are going that direction, just my 2 cents Smiley

Keeping it small and killing it is the same thing in my book.

If I want safer investments with government control I will buy stocks or bonds.
deadsilent

Activity: 1148
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 12:47:18 PM

"Greek police arrested a Russian man suspected of running a money laundering operation involving turning $4 billion from illicit business activities into the digital currency bitcoin."

Wow, what a big operation! I am sure he was able to swindled a lot of people of their money and laundered it to make it look legit. Now, the arms of the law has already caught him and he has no more escape.

This should be serving a big warning to all scammers and hackers. Alas, scammers/hackers are beyond being warned as the smell of money is so strong for them.

My goodness! $4 billion is really huge amount! Wow! Its a history in world of crypto( i guess). I wonder where he store those funds. Does he even sleep well at night knowing that he scammed many people? I think the victims can chase him now and punch him right in the face. Luckily i don't store any penny from that exchange. I feel sorry to those victims of this asshole. Hope this will be a lesson to those who want to scam or trying to scam. You can run but you can't hide.
volyova
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 01:34:12 PM

This is ridiculous. The Americans have detained a Russian citizen in Greece, for running a Bitcoin operation from Bulgaria. Now they want him deported to the United States. WTF? Why the Americans can't mind their own business.

This.

Are they the World Police or what? It should be the Japanese police, through interpol, if stolen Gox funds are laundered.

I guess it is the same reason they want Europe to stop North Stream pipeline. Economic warfare to get rid of competition, and have US exchanges control the market  Angry
Fuck yee-haw! Go America!!
dennyd999

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 02:26:02 PM

We  will find those guilty who stole your funds from MtGox   and we will bust all your funds at BTCE in a name of Justice!!!
 Cheesy
Thank you America ,bye bye money.  

I think this is somehow connected to present russian-american sanction war.

Bitcoin is a great opportunity for business to bypass all political shit.

And they decided to interupt this ability too.

It is not connected to MtGox or money laundry.
Its pure bullshit with vector drawings in Adobe which shows no evidence.

I think Greece will not extradict Vinnik.
ethereumnews

Activity: 150
Merit: 10

PM me for posting ANN.

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 02:44:06 PM

They recently tweeted that they will be down for another 5 to 10 days
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1968

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 03:03:44 PM

Here's the court docs - this started back in January 2017 - https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndca/press-release/file/984661/download

Note: There are 2-7 people in total involved, but all but Vinnik are redacted. 

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
sparkgap

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 03:06:28 PM

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndca/pr/russian-national-and-bitcoin-exchange-charged-21-count-indictment-operating-alleged

The release specifically mentions BTC-e.
drays
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1073

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 03:42:21 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2017, 03:58:01 PM by drays

Exactly. It looks like people who had money in BTC-e, will lose them thanks to those political fake "justice" actions.
Mt.Gox was hacked, so people lost money due to criminals' activity.
BTC-e got 'hacked' by officials, so innocent people (the ones who were just trading on that platform) are going to lose money because of governmental activity.

This is one more attack on people's freedom, and an attempt from US to get the whole world under control. Of course they will tell you a lot of stories about connections to mtgox, money laundering etc etc, so just you feel their actions are legit...

... this space is not for rent ...
eule

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 03:53:34 PM

German article: https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Geld-gewaschen-und-Mt-Gox-bestohlen-Mutmasslicher-Chef-der-Bitcoin-Boerse-Btc-e-verhaftet-3784467.html

The Russians hacked Mt Gox!!11!  Grin

NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 03:59:22 PM

Exactly. It looks like people who had money in BTC-e, will lose them just thanks to those political fake "justice" actions.
BTC-e got 'hacked' by officials, so innocent people (the ones who were just trading on that platform) are going to lose money because of governmental activity.

This is one more attack on people's freedom, and an attempt from US to get the whole world under control.

Where are people getting the information from that the government is going to confiscate these coins indefinately?

I lost more NMC here than I'd like to. I'll live but still it feels like a gut shot. Not counting on getting it back, but I'd like to see some confirmations about this rather than people just chanting its lost.

Also, the 4 billion is not what is laundered perse. It states that it is the amount of money the exchange handled during their time of operation as far as I understand.
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:09:43 PM

This is ridiculous. The Americans have detained a Russian citizen in Greece, for running a Bitcoin operation from Bulgaria. Now they want him deported to the United States. WTF? Why the Americans can't mind their own business.
It's not about what country they were operating from.  It's about which countries they accept users from and which countries' users deposit and withdraw fiat from their exchange.

If they were dealing with US dollars and US customers, I can understand why they would be subject to US KYC laws.

I suppose that according to American authorities though, the best way to find out who stole funds from Mt. Gox is to steal funds from BTC-E.
Or forever.
gargouri20011

Activity: 71

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:10:53 PM

Exactly. It looks like people who had money in BTC-e, will lose them just thanks to those political fake "justice" actions.

This is one more attack on people's freedom, and an attempt from US to get the whole world under control.

Where are people getting the information from that the government is going to confiscate these coins indefinately?

I lost more NMC here than I'd like to. I'll live but still it feels like a gut shot. Not counting on getting it back, but I'd like to see some confirmations about this rather than people just chanting its lost.

Also, the 4 billion is not what is laundered perse. It states that it is the amount of money the exchange handled during their time of operation as far as I understand.
do u think that gov will give users back their money . lollllllllll
gargouri20011

Activity: 71

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:13:33 PM

It's not about what country they were operating from.  It's about which countries they accept users from and which countries' users deposit and withdraw fiat from their exchange.

If they were dealing with US dollars and US customers, I can understand why they would be subject to US KYC laws.

I suppose that according to American authorities though, the best way to find out who stole funds from Mt. Gox is to steal funds from BTC-E.
Or forever.
Wrong USA has to regulate own country and own citizen ,
if usa citizen go to another country or use another country service ,the second country rules apply not US one ,
IF USA do not want their citizen to trade on BTC-e it should punish own citizen not the hole world. fuck this USA
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: