Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 02:15:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-e.com down ! Police detains the owner .  (Read 21884 times)
BitWhale

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 12:33:52 AM

Dudes, don't be turning my ninja into a meme, mmmkay?

FWIW, here's the dude behind the mask (Terry Terr on the right, both of Dustin's Dojo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_eyQdrptKA):

-snipped-
"We challenge Roger Ver to an MMA meatup,
he choosing any deli item as his weapon of choice.
Terry, here, will be using his patented salami nunchucks."
[/center]

Lol sorry man, in my defense you said use a real ninja.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 01:08:31 AM

Dudes, don't be turning my ninja into a meme, mmmkay?

FWIW, here's the dude behind the mask (Terry Terr on the right, both of Dustin's Dojo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_eyQdrptKA):

-snipped-
"We challenge Roger Ver to an MMA meatup,
he choosing any deli item as his weapon of choice.
Terry, here, will be using his patented salami nunchucks."
[/center]

Lol sorry man, in my defense you said use a real ninja.

Let me quess. You're a spokesperson for Roger Ver and he's afraid of going up against salami nunchucks.

How close am I?
akym

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 01:09:20 AM

Hopefully BTC-E like many company are storing bitcoin in cold wallet out of datacenter server... i'm assuming FBI seized datacenter of website, they definetly seized the hot wallet... but there is hope btc-e have backup out of datacenter...

I hope they have backup... if so there is hope for bitcoin to be refunded, or website be backup... if they truely didnt arrest real owner...
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 01:15:15 AM

Hopefully BTC-E like many company are storing bitcoin in cold wallet out of datacenter server... i'm assuming FBI seized datacenter of website, they definetly seized the hot wallet... but there is hope btc-e have backup out of datacenter...

I hope they have backup... if so there is hope for bitcoin to be refunded, or website be backup... if they truely didnt arrest real owner...

Hey, if that's the case, perhaps Bitmixer will process the refunds through OKPay. What could go wrong?  Roll Eyes
krishnapramod
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 02:02:08 AM

BTC-e back again, I just saw their announcement on local russian forum (just can't read what is it meaning)

Link, please, if different than this one: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2056158.msg20505927#msg20505927

BTC-E posted an update today in the Russian local thread that they were able to access their databases and purses and they are currently assessing it and this information would be made public before the end of next week.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2063529.0
akym

Activity: 53

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 02:07:53 AM

Hey, if that's the case, perhaps Bitmixer will process the refunds through OKPay. What could go wrong?  Roll Eyes

Bitmixer is dedicated to help you hide. It's only purpose is to help you hide your bitcoin.

BTC-E is trading platform, it has nothing to do with hide. All bitcoin exchangers are like BTC-E. I was verified user on BTC-E i had to send my document to verify identity.. why would btc-e ask people to verify their identity if they were dedicated to make anonymous transaction...

If fbi shut down btc-e for those reason they should also shutdown all other bitcoin exchangers right now, because all of them allow trading without ID verify.
fathur.aza

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 02:29:04 AM

Many of the events that have occurred in the site of the recent trade, I think that this battle is old many possibilities everyone already believes.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 03:05:10 AM

BTC-e back again, I just saw their announcement on local russian forum (just can't read what is it meaning)

Link, please, if different than this one: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2056158.msg20505927#msg20505927

BTC-E posted an update today in the Russian local thread that they were able to access their databases and purses and they are currently assessing it and this information would be made public before the end of next week.

WTF! That new thread is already 120 posts/6 pages long.  Cry Cry Cry

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 03:12:20 AM

Translated from the OP: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2063529.msg20598977#msg20598977

Update4!

Current information:

1. We were able to access our databases and wallets, at the moment we are evaluating data and balances on koin, this information will be made public by the end of next week.

2. We confirm that the main streams of the threads have been sent to the service through Mayzus Financial Services Ltd and at the moment they are arrested.

Best regards support btc-e

But yesterday: https://www.bitcoinandethereum.com/btc-e-information-was-sent-to-uk-police-by-mayzus-moneypolo-and-okpay/#.WYPlRsd942w

Sergey Mayzus announced: “In connection with the closure of one of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges (BTC-E) by US law-enforcement agencies, false information was posted by anonymous person(s) on the website btceclaims.github.io about alleged involvement of myself (Sergey Mayzus) and my companies OKPAY CY LTD and MAYZUS Financial Services Ltd. with the BTC-E exchange. I hereby declare that neither myself (Sergey Mayzus) nor the companies OKPAY CY LTD and MAYZUS Financial Services Ltd. that I own are in any way related to the BTC-E exchange, its owners or employees.”

Was Mayzus arrested or not?
dwieyani

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 03:42:42 AM

All need care in order not to look good and always in demand, because this trade is old and still trusted by many people who are in trading sites. So many cases occur in this trade, so care is necessary.
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 04:12:23 AM

It's nice that they haven't disappeared entirely yet. I guess we can hold out a tiny sliver of hope. That's a fairly ominous message about Mayzus and their fiat flow, though. If they were so intent on remaining anonymous, I would think they'd move most fiat funds offshore, only using Mayzus for immediate processing.

It would be very foolish of them to hold all fiat funds in 3rd party bank accounts... Better to muddy the paper trail with multiple offshore shell companies.

Cryptocoinsmania.com

Activity: 59

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2017, 04:35:12 AM

Translated from the OP: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2063529.msg20598977#msg20598977

Update4!

Current information:

1. We were able to access our databases and wallets, at the moment we are evaluating data and balances on koin, this information will be made public by the end of next week.

2. We confirm that the main streams of the threads have been sent to the service through Mayzus Financial Services Ltd and at the moment they are arrested.

But yesterday: https://www.bitcoinandethereum.com/btc-e-information-was-sent-to-uk-police-by-mayzus-moneypolo-and-okpay/#.WYPlRsd942w

Sergey Mayzus announced: “In connection with the closure of one of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges (BTC-E) by US law-enforcement agencies, false information was posted by anonymous person(s) on the website btceclaims.github.io about alleged involvement of myself (Sergey Mayzus) and my companies OKPAY CY LTD and MAYZUS Financial Services Ltd. with the BTC-E exchange. I hereby declare that neither myself (Sergey Mayzus) nor the companies OKPAY CY LTD and MAYZUS Financial Services Ltd. that I own are in any way related to the BTC-E exchange, its owners or employees.”

Mayzus wasn't arrested. But many claims he should be and connects him to btc-e operations.
marky89

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 04:45:08 AM

Update4!

Current information:

It's probably a matter of time. They (along with Okpay, who is now owned by Mayzus) have been processing BTC-e's US and Europe-facing fiat withdrawals for several years. I mean, if the Feds are calling the exchange itself a money laundering operation, what does that say about its primary payment processor?

This is all very bizarre given that there is still no word from the US government about funds being seized. Did they get so little that they were embarrassed to mention it? Or do they have reason not to make it public?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 05:13:10 AM

Update4!

Current information:

It's probably a matter of time. They (along with Okpay, who is now owned by Mayzus) have been processing BTC-e's US and Europe-facing fiat withdrawals for several years. I mean, if the Feds are calling the exchange itself a money laundering operation, what does that say about its primary payment processor?

This is all very bizarre given that there is still no word from the US government about funds being seized. Did they get so little that they were embarrassed to mention it? Or do they have reason not to make it public?

As Craig Steven Wright aka Satoshi Nakamoto would say: IT'S THEIR FUCKIN MONEY NOW AND THEY CAN DO WITH IT AS THEY PLEASE INCLUDING NOT LETTING YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THEY HAVE!
marky89

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 05:17:53 AM

As Craig Steven Wright aka Satoshi Nakamoto would say: IT'S THEIR FUCKIN MONEY NOW AND THEY CAN DO WITH IT AS THEY PLEASE INCLUDING NOT LETTING YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THEY HAVE!

Excellent Craig Wright impression, by the way. Grin

I just find it odd is all. With any major FBI takedown I've ever seen, the headline is the amount of funds seized. Take the Alphabay indictment/press release, for instance. This was nothing like that, and BTC-e was one of the biggest crypto exchanges in the world!

Just makes me wonder if the FBI screwed up and thought they had access to more funds than they did.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 05:43:09 AM

Excellent Craig Wright impression, by the way. Grin

I just find it odd is all. With any major FBI takedown I've ever seen, the headline is the amount of funds seized. Take the Alphabay indictment/press release, for instance. This was nothing like that, and BTC-e was one of the biggest crypto exchanges in the world!

Just makes me wonder if the FBI screwed up and thought they had access to more funds than they did.

So, the new FBI director, Christopher Asher Wray, has to explain not only why the amount of money confiscated wasn't disclosed during the arrest and control of BTC-e's servers, but why BTC-e is still in operation with a supposed intend of returning all the funds to their rightful owners with the help of OKPay.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Let's see what Sarah has to say about that when a CNN reporter starts questioning the administration in the West Wing.
Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 06:16:07 AM

If bitcoin is "used" by terrorists, money launderers and criminals.

Why is this the only case where someone was "identified" for "money laundering"?

Huh
BitWhale

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 06:20:56 AM

If bitcoin is "used" by terrorists, money launderers and criminals.

Why is this the only case where someone was "identified" for "money laundering"?

Huh

I don't think this is the first case of Money Laundering, just the biggest so far. Think back to Charlie Shrem & Btc King, Coin.MX, The poor dudes in Florida that were just exchangers on LocalBitcoins but without a liscense, etc.

I just think they are starting to crack down on the more blatant services that fascilitate easy no-id transactions that most definitely attract the wrong crowd.

Just wait until they start going after the gambling scene, you can call all of the profits made off of US customers "illegal" & anyone whom deals with these funds are by nature "Money Laundering".
marky89

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 06:22:04 AM

Wasn't Ross Ulbricht charged with money laundering? This is just the first time that a large bitcoin exchange has been targeted for it. I sympathize less with funds on darknet markets getting seized, since users should know that this is always a risk. But on a long-running public bitcoin exchange? A lot of legitimate traders and miners will be devastated by this. I always thought of 3rd party exchange risk as risk of hacking or exit scam. The FBI targeting legitimate exchanges brings all new risks to trading crypto...

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
BitWhale

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 06:26:47 AM

Wasn't Ross Ulbricht charged with money laundering? This is just the first time that a large bitcoin exchange has been targeted for it. I sympathize less with funds on darknet markets getting seized, since users should know that this is always a risk. But on a long-running public bitcoin exchange? A lot of legitimate traders and miners will be devastated by this. I always thought of 3rd party exchange risk as risk of hacking or exit scam. The FBI targeting legitimate exchanges brings all new risks to trading crypto...

I agree that there was alot of innocent bystanders hurt, hopefully they will learn to store coins off-line in the future now in order to minimalize the risk of having your coins stolen/confiscated.

That's really what the problem is here:

Each bubble we get a new wave of users coming to the forums, most of which have never ventured outside of their Coinbase account. It leads to easy hackings & giant losses for those who don't know any better.

I suppose it's our job to help show these people, but when I try to show my friends in real life they say "It's just alot of work", not realizing that if you are going to be your own bank, you also have to be your own security advisor.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: