Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:49:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Anyone Ever Thought About Cashing out And waving a permanent "bye" to BTC?  (Read 692 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:58:49 AM

Have any of you? Whats your story? At what point and at under what circumstances would you do it (because that day WILL come...unless you pass your coins on to your kids after you die or something).

I have to say I have been strongly considering it lately (although I will always keep at least 1 Casascius Coin). I feel like my life is somewhat ruled by BTC. "What Can I Buy w/them, What can I sell, Will they go up? Down? When? How Much?. I'm sure you get the idea after that. Also, I waste way too much time on this forum. I honestly feel like a huge weight would be lifted off my shoulders. Yes, I might miss out on some money. But this is not an uncommon thing by any means-think the stock market every DAY.

I really don't know, what do you guys think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 11:01:04 AM

I think I will only ever sell Bitcoins as needed for things like bills where I can't pay in Bitcoins yet, because of how much paper money is being printed right now and how governments are constantly fucking up things they do then it's always wise to keep at least some in safe keeping, the same with gold and silver.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 11:03:20 AM

Cashing out BTC is only putting the first toe into the sea of day trading. So as for your question: No that doesn't work.
Dougie

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

You are not special.

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:05:22 AM

If the prices went up to a point where I'd be able to cash out having not made a loss I probably would to be honest! I invested a small amount of money at a good time and a large amount of money at a very bad time.

I think I've been a bit stung though. Maybe if the prices go back up I'll just keep them. Especially with the difficulty of getting a large sum of money dumped into your account. Paying tax on that would make me quite unhappy.

Lurking since 2011...
1J4DhU3q6RxxCTfAAcg5ExVK6FfxkmzkTH
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:13:00 PM

Cashing out BTC is only putting the first toe into the sea of day trading. So as for your question: No that doesn't work.
I'm not sure what you mean "doesn't work". I got into bitcoins a couple years ago (haven't bought with cash a BTC for over a year, just traded when the time is right). I have made my investment back 10x and then some. Maybe the thing to do is just keep what I have and not constantly check where they're at price-wise or obsess over that sort of thing.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 11:13:37 PM

I'm not sure what you mean "doesn't work". I got into bitcoins a couple years ago (haven't bought with cash a BTC for over a year, just traded when the time is right). I have made my investment back 10x and then some. Maybe the thing to do is just keep what I have and not constantly check where they're at price-wise or obsess over that sort of thing.

Well once you sold the majority of your coins you will be thinking of the next 10x the initial investment you could be making, after all you just have to double your capital....
For me it's regulary withdrawing some of my profits that works.
sdp

Activity: 469
Merit: 280

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 12:48:44 PM

Mining or using Bitcoins are the same as any business: Do a cost/benefit analysis of your involvement and what you get from Bitcoins.

Bitcoin value potential can be separated from this analysis you can buy Bitcoins easily in your country.   Perhaps you spend more than you make and with difficulty rising I can see that happening.

In the end you may talk to your boss at your day job and ask for overtime.

Coinsbank: Left money in their costodial wallet for my signature.  Then they kept the money.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:40:50 PM

Maybe come to a compromise:

Buy as many Casascius Coins as you feel comfortable with. An amount that you would not lose sleep over if it disappeared forever. Put these away in a safe place and just completely cut yourself off from bitcoin for an arbitrary time period. Maybe 2, 3, or 5 years. And when the time comes you can reevaluate your investment. But until then, just try to completely forget about bitcoin. Don't read the forums, don't check the price.
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 01:54:55 PM

My advice would be to leave your Bitcoins alone, but step away from it for awhile. Backup your wallet, accounts and everything somewhere safe and pick up some new hobbies. After a few months you might be so happy meeting new people, going places and learning things that you'll forget about all the stress caused by Bitcoin. We'll be here when you get back and if it crashes oh well. If it skyrockets you'll be glad you held onto them.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 02:00:27 PM

I say, don't cash out, but ignore BTC.  AFAIC, the price is only going up, in the long-term.  So my safely tucked-away BTC is going to keep rising in price, my personal savings account.

Darktongue

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 03:07:20 PM

Like anything.  If it's a must then by all means do it.  If you can afford to hold then sit on them.  I cashed out a bulk of coin when the price was high.  Bought myself some nice threads as well as supported some hobbies and interests.I don't regret my move one bit.  Prior to that i of been unable. In the end for myself bitcoin is my solution for not spending money that should goto my children and wifey.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: