Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:29:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to program bitcoin wallet or exchange progm  (Read 524 times)
nlbphake (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:20:13 PM

Hey,

Just getting into bitcoin and this is all great. I'm a CS major and I'm looking to learn how to develop programs like bitcoin wallets or a bitcoin exchange medium like campbx or mt gox. I'm just learning the basic but i'd like an idea of either what languages are most efficient at it (if any) and what areas of knowledge you need to connect and build everything. I wouldn't even know where to begin for developing programs like that.
tnx

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:55:24 PM
Last edit: May 16, 2013, 12:01:49 AM by DannyHamilton

PHP, CSS, javascript, HTML (just for creating the web page itself)
SQL and knowledge about using some sort of database for the storage and manipulation of the data.
Just about any language for the business logic.  I'm partial to C and C++, but most modern languages would probably be fine.
QuinnHarris

Activity: 16

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:25:53 PM

If you intend to be a serious programmer I would suggest learning a few languages so you know about various methods of programming and solving problems.  This would be my list
C - Low level requiring greater understanding of the computer architecture.  For most part C will give all the power of assembly without as much work.  Easy to understand how C code translates to assembly.  C++ adds a bunch of features but most features over C can be found in other languages.  The most common Satoshi client is programmed in C++
Ruby - Good way to learn object oriented programming dynamic typing and closures (aka blocks).  Generally useful language to.  Typical use of this language covers more conceptual ground than Python, Perl, PHP.  I would suggest to learn a little LISP
Haskel or Ocaml - Functional programming languages with pattern matching functionality not seen in above languages.  These languages aren't that commonly used but do have some unique features worth some time to be familiar with.  I am personally weakest on these languages

If you learn these you would be hard pressed to find another programming language with a feature you haven't seen before.

SQL isn't a full programming language but good to know especially for writing web applications or most business programs.  Relational algebra/calculus is good to know for any serious programming.

Javascript is becoming more popular and needed to write alot of web stuff.  As just a language I think its preferable to PHP but not Ruby.

C# and Java have a lot in common and if you know C++ well there will be little new in those languages.  Popular for modern business applications.

zeeshanblc

Activity: 390
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 09:10:05 PM

I'm also looking for a programmer of a PowerCoin online wallet. I'm willing to pay.
redlight

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 10:56:41 PM

If your asking on a newbie forum how to make a Bitcoin exchange, give up now.
BTCoder

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 11:09:43 PM

If your asking on a newbie forum how to make a Bitcoin exchange, give up now.

Lol! I completely agree.
scab

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 11:12:06 PM

A bitcoin wallet or a exchange, is a ginormous feat to undertake. I wish you the best of luck tho..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: