Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:54:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Test Post to Newbie Forum  (Read 497 times)
dpbaril (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:31:00 PM

I've been experimenting with Bitcoin since early February after my brother sent me BTC5 to play with. I'm also interested in Ripple and the idea of p-2-p virtual currencies in general.

One of the claims that is made for Bitcoin is that it is "inflation proof" since the algorithm ensures a predictable supply. At one point I wondered if it might be possible for "bankers" to issue loans based on fractional deposits but have come to the conclusion that it can't be done, since actual Bitcoin would have to be transferred.

So, at this point as I see it, the chief limitations of Bitcoin are that it is not generally accepted as form of payment and it is somewhat difficult and slow to exchange it for sovereign currencies.  It looks to me like Ripple may resolve the latter problem and perhaps thereby become more acceptable as a form of payment.

On the other hand, as a store of value (as I recall from my undergraduate Money and Banking course, one of the two essential attributes of money along with medium of exchange) Bitcoin has performed rather well since mid-February!   Smiley

David Baril
Almonte ON 
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
umairsaleem017

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 04:37:44 AM

Welcome to the forum.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3190

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 04:43:59 AM

I've been experimenting with Bitcoin since early February after my brother sent me BTC5 to play with. I'm also interested in Ripple and the idea of p-2-p virtual currencies in general.

One of the claims that is made for Bitcoin is that it is "inflation proof" since the algorithm ensures a predictable supply. At one point I wondered if it might be possible for "bankers" to issue loans based on fractional deposits but have come to the conclusion that it can't be done, since actual Bitcoin would have to be transferred.

So, at this point as I see it, the chief limitations of Bitcoin are that it is not generally accepted as form of payment and it is somewhat difficult and slow to exchange it for sovereign currencies.  It looks to me like Ripple may resolve the latter problem and perhaps thereby become more acceptable as a form of payment.

On the other hand, as a store of value (as I recall from my undergraduate Money and Banking course, one of the two essential attributes of money along with medium of exchange) Bitcoin has performed rather well since mid-February!   Smiley

David Baril
Almonte ON  

There is no reason why bitcoin can't be subject to fractional reserve banking, except that people have fewer reasons to deposit bitcoins in a bank so there won't be as much of a supply for this purpose. The lack of acceptance is not a limitation, it is just the current state, and while it is difficult to exchange bitcoins with sovereign currencies, that could become a non-issue. Ripple might have some effect on Bitcoin, but it has its own problems to solve.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
CryptoJunky

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 04:53:52 AM

So, at this point as I see it, the chief limitations of Bitcoin are that it is not generally accepted as form of payment and it is somewhat difficult and slow to exchange it for sovereign currencies.  It looks to me like Ripple may resolve the latter problem and perhaps thereby become more acceptable as a form of payment.

On the other hand, as a store of value (as I recall from my undergraduate Money and Banking course, one of the two essential attributes of money along with medium of exchange) Bitcoin has performed rather well since mid-February!   Smiley

David Baril
Almonte ON 

Welcome to Bitcointalk David!

While I suppose you could say Bitcoin is still not generally accepted as a form of payment, that is increasingly changing. The number of goods and services that you can produce online is rapidly increasing. As for transactions in real life, there are numerous groups working on ways to make physical transactions much less painless, and some are making pretty good ground.

At the moment we're still early in the distribution of the currency stage. It's exciting as there is still a lot of opportunity in Bitcoin yet it's also still risky.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 09:22:24 PM

@OP: Wow, a newbie post done right.

@capa: shut up.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: