Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 03:24:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kraken will enable BCH - Bitcoin Cash  (Read 1102 times)
shade_wrath (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 101

Any store can buy, sell, and accept Crypto

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 03:30:57 AM

Bitcoin Cash and a Critical Alert for Bitcoin Margin Traders

On August 1 2017 at 12:20 pm UTC a small community of Bitcoin users is planning a hard fork from Bitcoin to an alternative protocol called “Bitcoin Cash” (BCH). Bitcoin Cash is expected to be a minority chain, with the vast majority of the Bitcoin community remaining on the chain that activates Segregated Witness and, later on, a possible increase to 2MB blocks.
Although the Bitcoin Cash fork is expected to be minor, it may be successful. Provided that unforeseen circumstances do not make it prohibitively unsafe or difficult for us to do so, Kraken will support Bitcoin Cash as follows:
•   All Kraken clients holding Bitcoin (XBT) balances at the time of the fork will be credited with an equal amount of Bitcoin Cash (BCH)
•   All Kraken clients borrowing Bitcoin (XBT) for margin trades at the time of the fork will be debited an equal amount of Bitcoin Cash (BCH)
•   After the fork Kraken will enable BCH deposits and withdrawals (with replay protection enabled)
•   After the fork Kraken will enable BCH trading in the following pairs: BCH/XBT, BCH/USD, BCH/EUR
•   Kraken-owned Cryptowat.ch will support BCH charts and trading
•   BCH margin trading may be added at a later date if it survives and trade volume is robust

What Kraken Clients Need to Know about the Hard Fork
Bitcoin funding will be halted at 11 am UTC on August 1 - do not deposit during the fork
Kraken will halt XBT funding at 11 am UTC and safely secure funds during the fork. Funding will be re-enabled after the outcome of the fork is clear and the network is safe.
Trading will continue across the fork
XBT trading is expected to continue as normal across the fork, however there may be a brief interruption for the listing of new pairs and adjustment of balances.
Long XBT margin positions held across the fork will result in a BCH credit
If you hold a 10 XBT long position across the fork, it will carry over and can be closed at any time in the usual way. However, you will also receive a 10 BCH credit to your balance corresponding to the margin position.
example 1:  margin buy (long) 10 XBT/USD = +10 BCH (long xbt, short usd)
example 2:  margin sell (short) 10 ETH/XBT = +10 BCH (short eth, long xbt)
Short XBT margin positions held across the fork will result in a BCH debit
If you hold a 10 XBT short position across the fork, it will carry over and can be closed at any time in the usual way. However, please note that you will also be responsible for a 10 BCH debit (negative balance) on your account that must be corrected by either buying or depositing 10 BCH. Why the negative balance? Kraken sources the XBT to finance margin trading from individual lenders and we are preserving the value for these lenders that may lie in the BCH forked from their funds. This means that traders who borrow XBT across the fork to short must also pay back the BCH that forks from this XBT. Any account with a negative BCH balance will be placed on withdrawal lock until the balance is corrected.
example 1:  margin sell (short) 10 XBT/USD = -10 BCH (short xbt, long usd)
example 2:  margin buy (long) 10 ETH/XBT = -10 BCH (long eth, short xbt)
Margin traders should be very cautious across the fork
Margin traders are advised to be very cautious across the fork, by either reducing their position sizes or closing out entirely before the fork. In addition to the special provisions described above, margin traders should plan for the possibility of extreme volatility and unfavorable forced liquidations surrounding the fork. As always, margin traders are strongly encouraged to set stops rather than rely on perfect accessibility to the exchange.
A word of caution for everyone
Kraken makes no promises/guarantees/warranties on the outcome of the fork. We will make our best effort to handle things in a way that benefits the most clients, but clients should manage their own wallets/coins if they want perfect control. Kraken will not be held responsible for any circumstances that result in the loss of BCH.

________Any Store Can Buy, Sell and Accept Cryptocurrency________
█████████ ██ ███ ██      PUNDI X     ██ ███ ██ █████████
Whitepaper      Twitter      Facebook      Telegram      Medium      Youtube
Justaguy2

Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 06:15:52 AM

I for one could'nt care less about another altcoin. But below link just confirms it even more.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2050936.0
bucciarati

Activity: 700
Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2017, 08:00:55 AM

so, to clarify, if i have a BTC balance on 1st august then i will be credited for the same amount in BCH? this means (let pass the term) free coins credited to my account? i am reading it right?

shade_wrath (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 08:05:24 AM

so, to clarify, if i have a BTC balance on 1st august then i will be credited for the same amount in BCH? this means (let pass the term) free coins credited to my account? i am reading it right?
Yes, that's what it says. BCH equal to amount of BTC in your exchange wallet Smiley

jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2017, 08:21:39 AM

This is worrying. If i understand correctly, i will be giving FREE MONEY (in the form of BCC) as long as i have BTC deposited in Kraken? Sound likes free and easy money. 

What effect will this have on btc price? I'd sell immediately and cash out most likely.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
Grahnite

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

DeepOnions for the WIN!

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 08:35:35 AM

Really??? Kraken will be listing this *bleep*coin and there are so many other GOOD coins that they could rather list? Bitcoin Cash is just a pathetic attention-grabber that will die off as soon as it was born Smiley

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion★  Anonymity Guaranteed
★  Anonymous and Untraceable
★  Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Grahnite

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

DeepOnions for the WIN!

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 08:36:33 AM

This is worrying. If i understand correctly, i will be giving FREE MONEY (in the form of BCC) as long as i have BTC deposited in Kraken? Sound likes free and easy money. 

What effect will this have on btc price? I'd sell immediately and cash out most likely.

I think this is what everybody will be doing - dumping the BCC for Bitcoin immediately. I hope so, this BCC is a disgrace to the Bitcoin community IMHO...

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion★  Anonymity Guaranteed
★  Anonymous and Untraceable
★  Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
bucciarati

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2017, 08:37:12 AM

i think that can trigger a potential growth in btc price on kraken till the fork then who nows, this can also means a lot of profit from arbitrage if my theroy is right, actually i am all in altcoin but on monday will spend some fiat in bitcoin to take this opportunity/gamble

TinaK

Activity: 1106
Merit: 527

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 09:03:10 AM

Why BCH?? it make me confused. We called BCC here as Bitcoin Cash

bucciarati

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2017, 07:43:18 AM

by the way there is an official statement from kraken? any link to this? do you know if other exchanges are doing the same? i think this is a smart move in order to preservate stakes

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App

shade_wrath (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 08:19:05 AM

This article list the exchanges supporting and not supporting BCC/BCH:

https://www.bestbitcoinexchange.io/segwit-bitcoincash-hardfork/

bucciarati

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2017, 03:46:04 PM

ok, thank you for the link. finally i received an email from kraken that confirmed the "conversion" from btc to bch, you can't know what will happen but is better be prepared...

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: