Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:54:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UK to have first regulated Bitcoin Exchange?  (Read 840 times)
Dargumin (OP)

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 02:30:56 PM

Sounds like the UK may have the first regulated bitcoin exchange which would be a huge boost for Bitcoin.

Its probably still quite a way off though, but imagine the effect on price!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=204307.0

Was my post useful to you?  Tips graciously received!
1MZXNoqzRgNp8rA7DjPVV6R21kcTKGt31T
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 05:53:45 PM

Depends on what you mean by "regulation".

There's plenty of exchanges that seek to comply with the law. There have been plenty, there will continue to be plenty.

The proposal here seems to be an exchange operated by the government itself, which goes a step further. I'd be happy about it, if only because then it'd be difficult for the UK to do a 180 and outlaw/heavily restrict something that's actively making them money.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:57:04 PM

Depends on what you mean by "regulation".

There's plenty of exchanges that seek to comply with the law. There have been plenty, there will continue to be plenty.

The proposal here seems to be an exchange operated by the government itself, which goes a step further. I'd be happy about it, if only because then it'd be difficult for the UK to do a 180 and outlaw/heavily restrict something that's actively making them money.

I think the proposal is to have an exchange the government regulates.  So less silk road traffic but more grannies looking for alternatives to Post Office savings accounts.  The big advantage for Bitcoin is that the risk of a bank closing the exchange would be gone and the ease of buying Bitcoins would be a great benefit.
xavier

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:22:06 PM

Please stop trying to move the price upwards.

These posts smack of desparation. Everybody knows, there are no new suckers to buy into the bubble. The bitcoin bubble already burst a while ago, it cannot be propped up for much longer before people loose patience and start selling.

This will not move the price at all. It simply shows how desparate some bitcoin holders are become. Sell bitcoin.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:29:49 PM

Please stop trying to move the price upwards.

These posts smack of desparation. Everybody knows, there are no new suckers to buy into the bubble. The bitcoin bubble already burst a while ago, it cannot be propped up for much longer before people loose patience and start selling.

This will not move the price at all. It simply shows how desparate some bitcoin holders are become. Sell bitcoin.

Ha ha ha!  I love jokes!  Tell another one Grin

uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:33:44 PM

I hope so because Bitcoin  sucks in the UK at the moment. Anything is better than nothing at this point.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 08:51:32 PM

Everybody knows, there are no new suckers to buy into the bubble.
Well, good! I don't think we, as a community, should want "suckers". We should want people who are interested in using the technology!

Sell bitcoin.
Now why on earth would I do that?

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: