Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 04:09:21 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do my GPU's stop running  (Read 382 times)
dazbog835 (OP)

Activity: 132
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 01:01:41 PM

SETUP:
win10x64, HDD

Mb: ASUS AM3+ SABERTOOTH AMD 990FX R3.0 ATX Motherboard - Black
PSU: EVGA 1000 W GQ Series ATX Modular Power Supply with Active PFC
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition "Vishera" CPU (8 Core, AM3+, Clock 4.0 GHz, Turbo 4.2 GHz, 8 MB L3 Cache, 125 W)

GPUs:
Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 2GB
Gigabyte Radeon RX 550 2GB
XFX Radeon RX 550 2GB
Asus Radeon R7 240
ATI Radeon HD 5770
ATI Radeon HD 5770

I'm connecting all of the with risers. I should have enough energy through my PSU, and I'm trying to connect them through as many different cables from PSU as possible, so as not to have any 'slave' GPUs (I don't really know if that's a thing. It used to be on old PCs years ago).

As much as I try different variations (even connecting only the top three GPUs in and leaving the crappier ones out), The XFX 550 and Gigabyte 460 keep shutting down once I get into Windows, and even getting in is a problem, sometimes the OS just shutting down, sometimes remaining on a black screen...

I tried different drivers, but I can't seem to get them to work. And my system can't seem to become stable. What am I doing wrong?

Please, feel free to follow up, I know I haven't given enough info, I'm just so frustrated. I've been working on this setup for more than 20 hours now, trying to troubleshoot it, but I can't seem to solve it.

Please, help me Smiley
dazbog835 (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 01:23:50 PM

Update:
after finally getting through win10 I am now running xmr-stak-amd and mining with these cards:

Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 2GB
XFX Radeon RX 550 2GB
Asus Radeon R7 240

I've removed these:
ATI Radeon HD 5770
ATI Radeon HD 5770

While this one is still connected but xmrstak can't seem to find it:
Gigabyte Radeon RX 550 2GB

Index number wrong or something...

I'm really at my whit's ends here.... sorry if this is the wrong place to post this...
ccccccc7

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 04:57:34 PM

You have solved it already I think.

I wouldn't mix card generations (for lack of a better word) it causes issues.

In my experience the HD series(Tahiti) won't work correctly for mining if you use drivers higher than 16.x.x and the RX series(polaris) won't work if the driver is below 16.x.x the same is true for my produo(fury).

Had other random issues when I mixed series also (cards not being detected, random cut to black screen etc)

Not always true, however, as I have Tahiti and Hawaii cards mixed together running nicely but I think its best to steer clear of mixing cards especially when there is nearly 5 years between them.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable would explain this correctly
dazbog835 (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 10:49:49 PM

You have solved it already I think.

I wouldn't mix card generations (for lack of a better word) it causes issues.

In my experience the HD series(Tahiti) won't work correctly for mining if you use drivers higher than 16.x.x and the RX series(polaris) won't work if the driver is below 16.x.x the same is true for my produo(fury).

Had other random issues when I mixed series also (cards not being detected, random cut to black screen etc)

Not always true, however, as I have Tahiti and Hawaii cards mixed together running nicely but I think its best to steer clear of mixing cards especially when there is nearly 5 years between them.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable would explain this correctly

So the best thing to do is to build rigs with one card x 6? Hard task in these gpu dry times no?

The HDs I only hooked up because I had them lying around. I know it's not very efficient but it's still a bit profitable... I will now move one of the RX 550s and the HDs to a different machine and we'll see how it goes
Ultegra134

Activity: 1596
Merit: 785

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 11:29:11 PM

You shouldn't have mixed all these cards, especially the R7 240, that's a scrap card which costs $40, it's not even worth having it running. Don't mix generations, it can cause issues, it's probably fine having RX4xx with RX5xx, I think they do work fine.
You could try putting the 2x 5770 on another machine, but I don't think they'll make much, I'd sell them and buy another RX card.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
dazbog835 (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 10:58:06 AM

the HD 5770s together have about 170 H/s on monero, so they're better than not running them.

I'll try without the R7. I didn't know they had so much problem with each other.

Would it help if they were on Linux instead of Windows?

Zeix

Activity: 154
Merit: 106

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 12:47:10 PM

the HD 5770s together have about 170 H/s on monero, so they're better than not running them.

I'll try without the R7. I didn't know they had so much problem with each other.

Would it help if they were on Linux instead of Windows?

170 H/s both together? And how much power they use? At 108W TDP each...unless you have free electricity, you are loosing money...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: