Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:25:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strategist predicts Bitcoin's end | CNN.com  (Read 1727 times)
Coinseeker (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:33:41 PM

"I would be very surprised if Bitcoin is still around in 10 years," said Bremmer, the founder and CEO of Eurasia Group, the world's largest risk consulting firm. He thinks that bigger players will enter the field and improve upon Bitcoin's weaknesses.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/14/investing/bremmer-bitcoin/index.html?iid=HP_LN

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1092

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:09:45 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2013, 04:44:34 PM by jl2012

"I would be very surprised if Bitcoin is still around in 10 years," said Bremmer, the founder and CEO of Eurasia Group, the world's largest risk consulting firm. He thinks that bigger players will enter the field and improve upon Bitcoin's weaknesses.

LOL. With a CEO being totally ignorant towards bitcoin (and thinking something like AMEX points will replace it), I would be very surprised if Eurasia Group is still around in 10 years.

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
JackH

Activity: 381
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:28:52 PM

Dinosaur mentality about what is new should be wrong, and what they learned 174 years ago still applies.

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<helo> oh, you don't like a 20x increase? well how about 8192x increase?
<JackH> lmao
Bitcoin Cheddar

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 04:59:31 PM

Didn't someone years ago say that Rock-n-Roll was just a fad?

Whatever other cryptocurrencies try to compete with bitcoin would have to have an equal or higher adoption rate to be successful. With all the news of VC, entrepreneurs and small business owners becoming entwined in bitcoin commerce, it's unlikely that anything will be even close to competing for the next decade (if ever).

"People can buy things with Amex points. That's a real kind of currency that's created by American Express to allow them to have a greater piece of consumption that they otherwise wouldn't get," said Bremmer.

Except that Amex points are simply icing on the cake; no one would've signed on for the service if they didn't need a credit card at all. His example is pretty poor.
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 05:01:14 PM

I see where he's coming from because if a bigger play saw the opportunity in over $1b in bitcoins being released over the next years they could move over and take over a large portion in network hashing power to attempt to get these bitcoins. However, he still isn't upgrading his mentality.

And this belongs in the news section I think:)
comet1440

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:08:36 PM

after recent development's, I also think that bitcoin won't be around in 10 years.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:22:35 PM

"People can buy things with Amex points. That's a real kind of currency that's created by American Express to allow them to have a greater piece of consumption that they otherwise wouldn't get," said Bremmer.

To

"People can buy things with Dollars. That's a real kind of currency that's created by the Federal Reserve to allow them to have a greater piece of consumption that they otherwise wouldn't get," said Bremmer.

Yeah, that guy really understands what's going on. </ sarcasam>
Coinseeker (OP)

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:32:43 PM

And this belongs in the news section I think:)

Why, because its from a legitamate news source and not from a random blog?  Good thinking.  Lets set that bar real high.  Roll Eyes

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:50:22 PM

His example is pretty poor.

its piss poor.

my banking cc just wiped 25000 pts off my account b/c i didn't "use" it last year.
melvster

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:56:51 PM

I love these guys ...

Bitcoin will be around longer than the human race...
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:10:22 PM

Is this like those guys who keep saying the world's going to end every few years?  They keep getting it wrong, too.

RoadToHell

Activity: 260

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:13:18 PM

Except that Amex points are simply icing on the cake; no one would've signed on for the service if they didn't need a credit card at all. His example is pretty poor.

You're right - he obviously doesn't get it.  I'm pretty sure AMEX handles transactions in various currencies now, and any of them can earm Amex points.  So if people want to remain ignorant about CC rewards programs, AMEX can still give out their points even on transactions done in bitcoin.

And since this touches on a sore spot with me and CC companies:
Are Amex points part of a rewards program?  CC rewards programs are funded by charging merchants higher discount rates on transactions incurred on the cards.  The merchant has no way of knowing what their full transaction cost will be until long after the transaction is completed.  This practice leads directly to higher prices for everyone.  So what he is in effect saying is "We'd prefer to keep the existing systems in place so that people can buy shit with other people's money and we make a shit load of money."

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:31:13 PM

after recent development's, I also think that bitcoin won't be around in 10 years.

To which "recent developments" are you specifically referring?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:59:52 PM

Funny how they always fall on the same argument, "Bitcoins were stolen by hackers." Of course dumbass, things that have real liquid value are frequently stolen. I guess he's never heard of a "bank heist."

cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:20:44 PM

Wow, Im seriously dying here laughing. I mean, he seriously just called Amex points a real currency. You cant make this shit up.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: