Bitcoin Forum
August 09, 2024, 01:12:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum (2.9.0) wallet not connecting to network  (Read 3250 times)
w00ty21 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 05:51:05 PM

Hi all,

I've set up my electrum wallet a while ago, but when I started it up today there was no network connection (i.e. a red orb in the bottom right corner). This error occurred for me first today on the standalone version of 2.8.2. after this build failed to connect to the network I downloaded the latest version (2.9.0 full install, not standalone) and loaded my wallet into it.

This, however, still didn't relieve my connection issues. I have tried to edit "Network options" by using SSL, SOCKS5, Localhost and ports 9050 and 9150. And have restarted the software multiple times.

Unfortunately, nothing seems to fix my issue, and googling around for half an hour hasn't yielded any positive results so far either.

Can anyone help me out and tell me how to get my electrum wallet to connect to the network?

Thanks in advance!
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 08:01:52 PM

do you have a firewall or antivirus software running on your computer?
w00ty21 (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 08:22:28 PM

I have tried turning off my firewall and restarting the wallet, but unfortunately that didn't work.
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 02:45:28 AM

I have tried turning off my firewall and restarting the wallet, but unfortunately that didn't work.

Are you attempting to use a proxy with Electrum? If not, you shouldn't need to specify any of the proxy settings within the Network window so leave that set to NONE

I recommend you select the "Use SSL" option and the "Select server automatically"
w00ty21 (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 11:34:28 AM

Are you attempting to use a proxy with Electrum? If not, you shouldn't need to specify any of the proxy settings within the Network window so leave that set to NONE

I recommend you select the "Use SSL" option and the "Select server automatically"

Thank you very much! setting the proxy to none and leaving SSL on solved my problem in seconds!
qiqonco

Activity: 1

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 09:03:31 AM

hi!
i´m newbie in btc. i need help, my problem is the same.
i started operations with BTC in succesful way, but suddenly, electrum wallet stopped work.
i bougth btc in a exchange (coinbase), downloaded electrum wallet (previous version than 2.9.2, idont´t remember wich one because i deleted it when problem begun), i did my transfer exchange-->wallet and everything went ok.
later icontinued making one operation more. and suddenly wallet stopped working. wallet does´nt connect to servers. i tryed to change servers in settings, but does´nt work. i deleted wallet and donwloaded the 2.9.2 version, but problem stay on. wallet ask me password, and accepts it but does´nt connect. BTC and 3 opertion are shown. but red ligth does´nt change to green. i tryed to change server again but it doesnt connect. ikeep my seed on paper, so i think it should be posible recover the wallet and BTC.

could somebody help me? i´m a bit worried.

Jules1924

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 01:27:54 PM

Hi all,

I've set up my electrum wallet a while ago, but when I started it up today there was no network connection (i.e. a red orb in the bottom right corner). This error occurred for me first today on the standalone version of 2.8.2. after this build failed to connect to the network I downloaded the latest version (2.9.0 full install, not standalone) and loaded my wallet into it.

This, however, still didn't relieve my connection issues. I have tried to edit "Network options" by using SSL, SOCKS5, Localhost and ports 9050 and 9150. And have restarted the software multiple times.

Unfortunately, nothing seems to fix my issue, and googling around for half an hour hasn't yielded any positive results so far either.

Can anyone help me out and tell me how to get my electrum wallet to connect to the network?

Thanks in advance!

Similar to w00ty21 I followed the instructions of electrum documentation to connect my electrum wallet (version 2.9.3) via TOR network using port 9150, SOCKS5 - i.e. starting electrum like: “C:Program Files (x86)Electrumelectrum.exe” -s electrums3lojbuj.onion:50001:t -p socks5:localhost:9150.

However, connection takes long with repeated drop outs and when I get a connection, the network connection button is blue instead of green  Huh
Since I am a beginner, maybe someone can answer the following questions I have:

1) What is the meaning of a blue connection button in the electrum network window ?

2) How do I connect my electrum wallet in case of using Win10 -> VPN -> TOR, using an onion server for electrum ?

Adnkanibal

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 07:25:31 PM

Hi everybody.

I have the exact same problem... my Electrum wallet cannot syncronize and the sync button remain blue.

i've tried all connection possibilities with "none", sock5, http... with automatical server selection and SSL enabled.

do I re-install Electrum ?

Thanks for all your answers Smiley

PS : I'm running Electrum on Mac.
Coin-Keeper

Activity: 761
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 07:34:51 PM

Relax, I only use TOR for my Electrum coin transfers.  The button is always BLUE when I am on TOR and connected!  Lets discuss the TOR aspect of Electrum.  For now I will assume you can run Electrum perfectly all day long with a non-TOR connection, and that now you want to add TOR for obvious reasons.  I use TBB (Tor browser bundle) in a linux VM where Electrum is installed.  When you configure Electrum to use port 9150 (TOR's port) it will then ONLY run on TOR.  If you mount Electrum with TOR down you will NEVER see a connection of any kind until you bring TOR up.  For me that is a good thing because it prevents an accidental online mounting of an Electrum wallet without the protection of TOR.

Did you need me to display the configuration of Electrum to use TOR 9150?  If so let us know and someone or myself can easily point the direction to you!

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
Adnkanibal

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 07:41:50 PM

I'm not using TOR... by "blue button" i mean the sync button with blue arrows ... Smiley normally it's green but now it remains blocked in synchronization.
Coin-Keeper

Activity: 761
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 07:47:06 PM

Sorry, the post one above yours was/is using TOR.  Have you tried to switch servers on the Electrum network?  Sometimes switching servers will cause everything to connect and sync well.  Worth a shot since its only a few seconds to find out.

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
Adnkanibal

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 08:01:03 PM
Last edit: September 15, 2017, 08:51:01 PM by Adnkanibal

Oh ok sorry Smiley

Yes, I tried different servers and it remains in syncronization ... I waited to see if the sync ended but after 20 minutes I gave up.

I thought that re-installing Electrum it might work? But I hesitate I would not want to lose everything.

EDIT : OK, an update/re-install solve my problem Smiley
Jules1924

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 04:13:06 PM

Relax, I only use TOR for my Electrum coin transfers.  The button is always BLUE when I am on TOR and connected!  Lets discuss the TOR aspect of Electrum.  For now I will assume you can run Electrum perfectly all day long with a non-TOR connection, and that now you want to add TOR for obvious reasons.  I use TBB (Tor browser bundle) in a linux VM where Electrum is installed.  When you configure Electrum to use port 9150 (TOR's port) it will then ONLY run on TOR.  If you mount Electrum with TOR down you will NEVER see a connection of any kind until you bring TOR up.  For me that is a good thing because it prevents an accidental online mounting of an Electrum wallet without the protection of TOR.

Did you need me to display the configuration of Electrum to use TOR 9150?  If so let us know and someone or myself can easily point the direction to you!

@Coin-Keeper: Thanks a lot for the explaining response! So I've learned, that a blue connection button in Electrum network when using TOR is o.k. and the wallet is connected. Your comments in the remaining paragraph exactly describe the situation.

Concerning your last statement: Yes, it would be helpful for me to display the configuration of Electrum to use TOR 9150 - what I've used from the electrum documentation was “C:Program Files (x86)Electrumelectrum.exe” -s electrums3lojbuj.onion:50001:t -p socks5:localhost:9150.  However only with partial (occasional) success - should I probably use/ try different electrum onion servers?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: