Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:38:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum mist wallet sync  (Read 559 times)
FatCatSenior (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 06:46:28 PM

This software drives me crazy. Had some strange stuff when starting the program some days ago and decided to remove and resync chain data. It takes forever, stuck now with 150 blocks remaining... after 3 whole days of downloading. Grrrr... why so damn slow sync?
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 10:01:56 PM

This software drives me crazy. Had some strange stuff when starting the program some days ago and decided to remove and resync chain data. It takes forever, stuck now with 150 blocks remaining... after 3 whole days of downloading. Grrrr... why so damn slow sync?

Because ETH block chain is huge wand will get only bigger really fast. They will have serious problems already next year, since number of new coins starting on ETH is not slowing down. Those that issue them are totally irresponsible since seems to not realize what will happen.
Seansky

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 10:10:05 PM

That is normal because there are many transactions happening in ETH now and it will really take a long time for it to resync and that is one of the reasons why I hate that kind of wallet when it comes to old coins. If you don't want that, use their web wallet that is more convenient to use but it is more vulnerable in phishing. It is fine though just enter your private key on the original site of mew. Transfer your funds at your myetherwallet after sync is done with your ethereum mist.
FatCatSenior (OP)

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 11:26:36 PM

That is normal because there are many transactions happening in ETH now and it will really take a long time for it to resync and that is one of the reasons why I hate that kind of wallet when it comes to old coins. If you don't want that, use their web wallet that is more convenient to use but it is more vulnerable in phishing. It is fine though just enter your private key on the original site of mew. Transfer your funds at your myetherwallet after sync is done with your ethereum mist.
well, first... the Ethereum mist sync have to be done... preferably this side of christmas...
Hate this kind of wallets...
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 11:41:12 PM

Well that's one reason why I do not like the wallet software, I also was curious about the wallet software and I tried to download wallet and the crazy thing I've encountered is sync takes 138 years.

Strange sync, I laughed, I cursed and until now I do not use the wallet software.
redhorse

Activity: 254
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 06:43:15 AM

That was one of the reasons why I've switched to a HW wallet that I use with e.g. myetherwallet.com.
FatCatSenior (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 09:13:03 AM

That was one of the reasons why I've switched to a HW wallet that I use with e.g. myetherwallet.com.
yes, going to do the same. Ordering a Trezor now
hase0278

Activity: 882
Merit: 544

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 09:21:17 AM

Before you do that, do you know your the private key of the your wallet that is stuck in ethereum mist wallet? because if you have it backed up might be possible to access your wallet without downloading the sync data at all. Just obtain the unencrypted private key from mist then copy paste it on mew to access it there or back up your keystore folder from etehreum mist and try to access it on mew.
FatCatSenior (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 09:32:02 AM

Before you do that, do you know your the private key of the your wallet that is stuck in ethereum mist wallet? because if you have it backed up might be possible to access your wallet without downloading the sync data at all. Just obtain the unencrypted private key from mist then copy paste it on mew to access it there or back up your keystore folder from etehreum mist and try to access it on mew.
Actually just did that, got control over my Ethers via mew and json keystone-file.
Moved my funds to an Exodus account where I had 1 ETH while testing the program. Going to keep all ETH there until the Trezor arrives
NadimAJ

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 03:06:49 PM
Last edit: December 14, 2017, 04:48:07 PM by NadimAJ

This issue persists despite the various upgrades. I have a top spec machine with an SSD hardrive and a 100Mb internet connection (London based). Mist has behaved like this from day one and it did the same thing on a slightly older machine too. I'm running the latest v0.9.3.2075.

Yes, wiping the block data and starting afresh resolves it (I get a fast sync) but give it 2 weeks and it's on a slow-go again. Updating 2 weeks of chain data can take an entire day on a 100Mb connection. I'm sure it would behave the same way with even a 10Mb connection and the problem is the way it's handling the data.

Check out the video which shows the snail-pace sync:

https://youtu.be/HqEyog_Ueo8
rehydrogenated

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 08:06:02 PM

Ugh... I have been trying to figure out a solution to this mist wallet syncing issue for almost a year now. I am really tired of waiting 4-5 days for the wallet to sync. Then to top it all off the mist wallet is a total piece of trash. It constantly quotes me almost 50x as much gas as I need to send a transaction. Every time I try to execute a contract function it threatens to use all the ETH in my wallet. Then finally I try to send tokens and they never get moved somehow. Half the time it says I executed a contract, but nothing happens!!! How is this the recommended wallet?Huh?
Wildskull

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 11:13:03 AM

Yes, synchronization of this purse is very long occupation and besides infinite =) For this reason I have passed to Myetherwallet. In Mist there is a control under the name "sync with Light client (beta)". Having chosen her, everything becomes many times quicker.
bug.lady

Activity: 196
Merit: 23

Large scale, green crypto mining ICO

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 11:29:45 AM

I have been syncing BTC and BCH lately and it took weeks each, so you are still good to go mate Smiley
A few years ago it was a matter of hours, now it is weeks. But I am very optimistic that while the network throughput increases it will not be so long in the future, and also maybe it will be invented how to store a full node withouth the full transaction history - only the last balance on addresses really counts.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: