Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:32:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The SEC Called About Our ICO, I Answered  (Read 740 times)
benjacoin (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 03:53:22 AM

A lot of you know that I'm working on launching an ICO early next week.

After the DAO news earlier this week, I sent an e-mail to the SEC to check in and see if they had any guidance. I didn't expect to hear back, but today they came calling.

I wrote about it on Medium, think that the community might find this interesting: https://medium.com/@andrewjchapin/the-sec-called-about-our-ico-i-answered-8cbbd31568ec
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
StinkyLover

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

This industry is pure fiction

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 04:44:23 AM

How do you answer this:

"It’s important to ask the question of whether there is an expectation of profit by the buyer of a token. If so, there’s trouble"

?
benjacoin (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 04:52:52 AM

How do you answer this:

"It’s important to ask the question of whether there is an expectation of profit by the buyer of a token. If so, there’s trouble"

?

There are some instances where this is very obviously the case - especially with tokens that promise to pay dividends or invest in subsequent projects (especially things like real estate, etc.). ICOs/tokens like this fail the Howey Test right off the bat.

Tokens that have a utility, like those where it's necessary to use have tokens to use a service, are on the other end of that spectrum. The buyer motivation is function, not investment or gains on the value of the token.
benjacoin (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 05:46:15 PM

Follow up to the article, our letter to the SEC that documents why we're a pre-order, not a security: http://benja.co/blog/2017/7/31/release-benjacoin-ico-event-a-pre-order-not-fundraise
realdeanz

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 05:52:49 PM

so the SEC are in agreement with you that your ICO is a pre-order? Whats the difference between a pre order and an ICO?
HughCaires

Activity: 38

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 06:03:01 PM

So from what you gathered, as long as the primary point of the ICO is not profit but use towards some kind of service, the ico is not a security???

I ask because I am interested in an upcoming ICO for the food supply industry, Ambrosus, which I see as a chance for profit but also because block chain technology is essential towards regulating the food industry fairly. In this case, do you think they would consider Ambrosus a security?

I know you aren't a lawyer but I appreciate any insight as you have dealt with the SEC personally.

-HC
qiwoman2
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1023

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 06:14:34 PM

Now the SEC is putting it's smelly nose in everything ICO this is going to make everything for us much more complex. Of course investors want to eventually make profit, that's what they invest in for in the first place. So now instead of profit we need to find another name and a crap load of other terminology. Isn't it just easier to do ICOS outside of the U.S.A and not allow U.S citizens to partake in the ICOS? That would just get rid of the SEC once and for all correct?

█▀█ █ █▄▀ █▀█ █▀ ░ █▀▀ ▄▀█ █▀ █░█
█▄█ █ █░█ █▄█ ▄█ ▄ █▄▄ █▀█ ▄█ █▀█

DeFi on Tron
and trustless token exchange
█████

█████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

JOIN OIKOS

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
█████
cryptomartin

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 06:37:28 PM

I don't think that it will really make things more problematic...
Pab
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 07:33:12 PM

Now the SEC is putting it's smelly nose in everything ICO this is going to make everything for us much more complex. Of course investors want to eventually make profit, that's what they invest in for in the first place. So now instead of profit we need to find another name and a crap load of other terminology. Isn't it just easier to do ICOS outside of the U.S.A and not allow U.S citizens to partake in the ICOS? That would just get rid of the SEC once and for all correct?

If you make ico what is not respond to sec rules than us based exchanges will not list that kind of tokens,you can read about it in bittrex articles,us exchanges has to follow otherwise sec can shutdown exch,and you will stay without your tokens  It is legal hacking

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
realdeanz

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 08:25:55 PM

The SEC decisions will encourage other regulators around the world, some sort of regulation will be required for serious ico offers soon, i think.
pearlmen

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 09:37:27 PM

A lot of you know that I'm working on launching an ICO early next week.

After the DAO news earlier this week, I sent an e-mail to the SEC to check in and see if they had any guidance. I didn't expect to hear back, but today they came calling.

I wrote about it on Medium, think that the community might find this interesting: https://medium.com/@andrewjchapin/the-sec-called-about-our-ico-i-answered-8cbbd31568ec

A lot of us don't know you will be launching an ICO next week because I don't know about it just now you have said it. Also, concerning the issue of SEC I dont know how you want to show us this. Is it that you will have to wait for a clearance certificate from SEC or since you have written them, then all coast is clear because I really want to understand how this new policy concerning ICO will work.
benjacoin (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 09:50:08 PM

so the SEC are in agreement with you that your ICO is a pre-order? Whats the difference between a pre order and an ICO?
The SEC has not formally stated that - they have offered guidance around how to evaluate this ourselves and we based on that, we believe that we are in the clear.

The SEC is just doing their jobs and there are some very problematic ICOs - especially those that go on to invest in other assets (digital or otherwise) and pay a dividend. Those are clearly securities and it's a big problem that individuals think they can issue a clear security and not deal with any of the regulation.

I also don't think that the SEC is the end of the road here. Even if no US-based companies and no US-based individuals were involved in ICOs, I'm sure someone somewhere would pick up the regulatory slack... I just think they're waiting for the SEC to be a first-mover.

A lot of us don't know you will be launching an ICO next week because I don't know about it just now you have said it. Also, concerning the issue of SEC I dont know how you want to show us this. Is it that you will have to wait for a clearance certificate from SEC or since you have written them, then all coast is clear because I really want to understand how this new policy concerning ICO will work.
I'm just here sharing my experience, that's all. We're not waiting for a clearance or certificate, we're launching tomorrow but we think that we're in the clear based on their guidance.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: