Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:51:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Politics & Society: How far deep are we in the Skinner Box right now?  (Read 333 times)
robbylove (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 31

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 03:39:02 PM

Home › Behaviorism › Operant Conditioning
Skinner - Operant Conditioning

https://www.simplypsychology.org/operant-conditioning.html

@wilikon: minds.com - gab.com - dissenter.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
merchantofzeny

Activity: 1036
Merit: 279

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 05:13:01 PM

Deep, very deep.  Grin

You are probably familiar with the common Youtube comment "I'm a simple man, I see [insert whatever here], I click".

So many distractions that we are no longer being mindful of our actions. And this was even before the internet. Oh well, someone's gonna make money out of it.
robbylove (OP)

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 05:32:18 PM

Deep, very deep.  Grin

You are probably familiar with the common Youtube comment "I'm a simple man, I see [insert whatever here], I click".

So many distractions that we are no longer being mindful of our actions. And this was even before the internet. Oh well, someone's gonna make money out of it.

Sometimes when I look into my crypto wallet I wonder if this game wasn't the ultimate Skinner Box experiment...

TheCoinGrabber

Activity: 994
Merit: 302

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 06:00:47 PM

Sometimes when I look into my crypto wallet I wonder if this game wasn't the ultimate Skinner Box experiment...

Why do you think so? It not like humans haven't been trying to find a way to richer since anyone can remember. This are just advancements. Either you play along with it, or you go sulk up a corner.

But in general, yes, we have become quite a bit mindless these days.
robbylove (OP)

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 06:22:13 PM

Why do you think so? It not like humans haven't been trying to find a way to richer since anyone can remember. This are just advancements. Either you play along with it, or you go sulk up a corner.

No matter how big the box is, there always is a box and we all are in it, one way or another. Keeping that in perspective it is not foolish to ask why, among many other examples, the crypto box was created (as it is still controlled by humans with needs). Obviously I love that box since I fell in it 4 years ago.

These days it feels to me the mindlessness is accelerating. Few of us can sense it, most of us here may feel it. I have to look up when I walk on the sidewalk. I would be hit by a "smartphoner" if I don't.

merchantofzeny

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 12:02:02 PM

Deep, very deep.  Grin

Why do you think that cryptocurrencies are some sort of mind control? It seem even better than banks since you have more control of your finances rather than just taking whatever the bank gives you. Or, maybe you think this entire project is made to steal our money?
robbylove (OP)

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 01:44:59 PM

Deep, very deep.  Grin

Why do you think that cryptocurrencies are some sort of mind control? It seem even better than banks since you have more control of your finances rather than just taking whatever the bank gives you. Or, maybe you think this entire project is made to steal our money?

Every social structure is a skinner box. We are all social creatures so there is no escape. Boxes inside other boxes. The parameters of the box are never the same ("Till Death Do Us Part",  as an example) but are always based on a contract. The concept is that the 'pressure' is coming from outside in, creating the walls defining the size of the skinner box (a contract forced upon us, the lab rats). In crypto there are no walls... supposedly. My belief is that the 'pressure' is coming from inside out. We "hodl" the walls, there is a belief a hope. We may mind controlling ourselves in this particular case. In my case I am fully aware of this as a willing investor since 2013. Maths are not the engine of crypto. People are. This is what I am thinking, nothing else.

IadixDev

Activity: 322
Merit: 151

They're tactical

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2017, 01:48:31 PM

Designing Games for Ethics: Models, Techniques and Frameworks

https://books.google.fr/books?id=yqNeVKZbCiwC&pg=PA36&lpg=PA36&dq=jonathan+blow+evolution&source=bl&ots=-V7HjDkClj&sig=0nYmenW6szuAn1K4Psw4UT5T8sU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi028P96ZLVAhXLAcAKHcciDg44ChDoAQhbMBI#v=onepage&q&f=false

Smiley

merchantofzeny

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 05:10:10 PM

Deep, very deep.  Grin

Every social structure is a skinner box. We are all social creatures so there is no escape. Boxes inside other boxes. The parameters of the box are never the same ("Till Death Do Us Part",  as an example) but are always based on a contract. The concept is that the 'pressure' is coming from outside in, creating the walls defining the size of the skinner box (a contract forced upon us, the lab rats). In crypto there are no walls... supposedly. My belief is that the 'pressure' is coming from inside out. We "hodl" the walls, there is a belief a hope. We may mind controlling ourselves in this particular case. In my case I am fully aware of this as a willing investor since 2013. Maths are not the engine of crypto. People are. This is what I am thinking, nothing else.

In which case, it is up to the whims of other people then, like all these talks of a hard fork. I'd rather take that than be skinned by greedy bankers. I knew this risk when I came in, at least I agreed to it. I don't think those good payers agreed to have their money taken away from them because the bank collapsed from malpractice.   Cry
robbylove (OP)

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 06:26:07 PM

Deep, very deep.  Grin

In which case, it is up to the whims of other people then, like all these talks of a hard fork. I'd rather take that than be skinned by greedy bankers. I knew this risk when I came in, at least I agreed to it. I don't think those good payers agreed to have their money taken away from them because the bank collapsed from malpractice.   Cry

We chose our box. We imply pressure on it. If it breaks we take responsibility for it. We are our own bank, but humans are still in charge. They can be impatient, or get bored, or be influenced. We have to be aware of this, no matter what.

TheCoinGrabber

Activity: 994
Merit: 302

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 01:40:54 PM

No matter how big the box is, there always is a box and we all are in it, one way or another. Keeping that in perspective it is not foolish to ask why, among many other examples, the crypto box was created (as it is still controlled by humans with needs). Obviously I love that box since I fell in it 4 years ago.

These days it feels to me the mindlessness is accelerating. Few of us can sense it, most of us here may feel it. I have to look up when I walk on the sidewalk. I would be hit by a "smartphoner" if I don't.

We do not live in a vacuum.Our environment and interactions with others affect us. Most of this is unintentional, we are creatures of habit and we go through life using some heuristic tools. For example, how many people make a conscious decision which of their teeth they brush first?

It only gets creepy when you have people behind a mirror manipulating variables to get us to act as they please without us even knowing.
robbylove (OP)

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 03:39:26 PM

We do not live in a vacuum.Our environment and interactions with others affect us. Most of this is unintentional, we are creatures of habit and we go through life using some heuristic tools. For example, how many people make a conscious decision which of their teeth they brush first?

It only gets creepy when you have people behind a mirror manipulating variables to get us to act as they please without us even knowing.

But how do you chose which toothbrush to buy if you are not a dentist? It is creepy all the time when you think about it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: