Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:04:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion: Fresh Altcoin Codebase (Non-forked alt-coin)  (Read 666 times)
TrollByFire (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 06:37:28 PM

I'm new here, but expect no quarter from the flames.  I enjoy mining the vast number of various altcoins that have been released as of late, but with a few slight exceptions, we really aren't seeing anything new brought to the table.  I would love to contribute something altcoin related, but I refuse to tweak a few settings and release a garbage coin in hopes of pump and dump riches.  Instead, with this past week's YaCoin FUD debacle, why not reimplement the whole system for a new coin.  Create a generalized client codebase in a language such as Java or C# (anything managed, really) such that decompiling the "precompiled binaries" would be easy enough for anyone to do a safety audit.

I'd be extremely interested in creating this codebase, and even including support for different hash algorithms within the client so per "coin" fork selecting either SHA256, scrypt(1024,1,1), scrypt(n,1,1) would be simple.  In fact, we could extend this to other hashing algorithms as well.  This would give coin-makers incentive to innovate and make a real change within their coin, and it would allow for miners with low-end equipment (CPU-only) to have a fair shot in certain cases.

As I said, I have no plans to actually implement this yet, it is only a suggestion.  A rewrite may help ease the hyper-expansion of all the various coins popping up every day, and may give us something beneficial in a cryptocurrency in the end.

Thoughts?

BTC: 12JYhysrpqnzqhkZ6qRY8At3G14btEwTtF

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 06:47:01 PM

There are java libraries to do some of the fundamental internals so maybe find a java based bitcoin, or make one, and work from that?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
TrollByFire (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 06:51:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback.  I really wouldn't have the time to do something like this right now, and if I did I would spend quite a bit of time working on it (likely with many other contributers) before launch.  My primary interest would be in ease-of-access to the code, even in the precompiled versions to help prevent people having their wallet.dat stolen, system trojaned, etc.  Also keeping the number of required external libraries to a minimum to make it "easier to compile" for those who are having trouble compiling their own copies of the coins that are popping up everywhere now.

BTC: 12JYhysrpqnzqhkZ6qRY8At3G14btEwTtF
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 06:54:41 PM

Well with java there are things like Eclipse and Netbeans that go and get all the depenedencies (well actually heck don't need the GUI for that, as actually they use maven for that part) and so on, so pretty much anyone should be able to build java apps.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 07:06:34 PM

If I had all the time in the world I would love to try to implement a fresh cryptocoin from scratch, starting with the Satoshi whitepaper as a basis.  One fairly easy new feature I'd like to include would be to use an arbitrary precision decimal class so that currency units could be infinitely divisible from day one.

Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 07:37:38 PM

I'm new here, but expect no quarter from the flames.  I enjoy mining the vast number of various altcoins that have been released as of late, but with a few slight exceptions, we really aren't seeing anything new brought to the table.  I would love to contribute something altcoin related, but I refuse to tweak a few settings and release a garbage coin in hopes of pump and dump riches.  Instead, with this past week's YaCoin FUD debacle, why not reimplement the whole system for a new coin.  Create a generalized client codebase in a language such as Java or C# (anything managed, really) such that decompiling the "precompiled binaries" would be easy enough for anyone to do a safety audit.

I'd be extremely interested in creating this codebase, and even including support for different hash algorithms within the client so per "coin" fork selecting either SHA256, scrypt(1024,1,1), scrypt(n,1,1) would be simple.  In fact, we could extend this to other hashing algorithms as well.  This would give coin-makers incentive to innovate and make a real change within their coin, and it would allow for miners with low-end equipment (CPU-only) to have a fair shot in certain cases.

As I said, I have no plans to actually implement this yet, it is only a suggestion.  A rewrite may help ease the hyper-expansion of all the various coins popping up every day, and may give us something beneficial in a cryptocurrency in the end.

Thoughts?

Great idea. More forks in here than in the back room of a hipster NYC Hibachi restaurant.   I'm looking to almost do a complete rewrite for ScienceCoin - hopefully in python  Shocked It looks like this might be a good starting point, though not really.   https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=205215.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: