Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:36:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What security measures would you take as a dark market kingpin?  (Read 275 times)
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 07:26:02 PM

I am not outing myself here. I think it's a silly business, but I've been reading about Ross Ulbricht again and of course Mr Alphabay.

Both of them operated in a very silly manner. Two people knew Ross's involvement in SR from minute one, there's leaving of his gmail address buried in the Bitcointalk server, and his operating SR in public places allowing the feds to grab his laptop before it could be encrypted.

With Mr Alphabay there was of course leaving his email address, but also flaunting Lambos and mountains of property.

So if you were to embark on such a life, how would you do it differently?

I for one would begin by only doing my nefarious business in a locked chamber. If you can wipe your laptop with one button press, you can physically isolate yourself for long enough if someone comes for you.

What else would you do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
oxoboxo

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 08:59:01 PM

I am not outing myself here. I think it's a silly business, but I've been reading about Ross Ulbricht again and of course Mr Alphabay.

Both of them operated in a very silly manner. Two people knew Ross's involvement in SR from minute one, there's leaving of his gmail address buried in the Bitcointalk server, and his operating SR in public places allowing the feds to grab his laptop before it could be encrypted.

With Mr Alphabay there was of course leaving his email address, but also flaunting Lambos and mountains of property.

So if you were to embark on such a life, how would you do it differently?

I for one would begin by only doing my nefarious business in a locked chamber. If you can wipe your laptop with one button press, you can physically isolate yourself for long enough if someone comes for you.

What else would you do?

Heck, I would probably take it even a step further.

I'm trying to remember where the story came from, but I believe it was from an old friend that was an ex-con. Lol, it was either him or Breaking Bad.

He was a meth cook for a while and I believe he said that he had rigged up a lab where if there was ever a raid they had their batch booby trapped to automatically dump into a bath of sulfuric acid. You might want to add that one to your list.

Another one he used to do was take a drive. A long one. Maybe 1.5-2 hours each way. He said he would have someone drive him 2 hours one way and then they would immediately flip around and go the other direction. The whole time, the passenger would be writing down all the license plates of the vehicles around them. Once they would get home they would compile the lists from both directions. Their theory was that there shouldn't be any plates that match going both directions. If there are.... someone's following you.

Tweakers are always paranoid. If I was a dark market kingpin, I would be as paranoid as a tweaker.

Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 10:16:22 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2017, 02:57:00 PM by Last of the V8s

implement a non-usg-pwned private internetz

be rich enough to start with
operate in a country not NATO, BRICS or 5eyes or generally especially clubbable country. don't fkin holiday in these either
pay cut to local warlord/druglord/police chief
pay cut to Putin
pay cut to MP
disinfo/spies throughout Washington DC and sacrificial lambs for the yanks if they get uppity
don't sell drugs to China. let their people sell xtra shitty goods and services
brutal suppression of minor players
back up servers all around other similar lands. thermite on all

gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 10:18:10 PM

Heck, I would probably take it even a step further.

I'm trying to remember where the story came from, but I believe it was from an old friend that was an ex-con. Lol, it was either him or Breaking Bad.

He was a meth cook for a while and I believe he said that he had rigged up a lab where if there was ever a raid they had their batch booby trapped to automatically dump into a bath of sulfuric acid. You might want to add that one to your list.

Another one he used to do was take a drive. A long one. Maybe 1.5-2 hours each way. He said he would have someone drive him 2 hours one way and then they would immediately flip around and go the other direction. The whole time, the passenger would be writing down all the license plates of the vehicles around them. Once they would get home they would compile the lists from both directions. Their theory was that there shouldn't be any plates that match going both directions. If there are.... someone's following you.

Tweakers are always paranoid. If I was a dark market kingpin, I would be as paranoid as a tweaker.

I like the way these people are thinking.

It's bizarre how slack both of these guys were when everything hinged on not being compromised.

So, typing away in a throne in a dungeon teetering on a lake of acid filled with sharks.

What next?
aesma

Activity: 2394
Merit: 918

fly or die

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 09:29:17 AM

The thing is, if you really want to play it safe, you just don't do it.

Also, if you're planning for the moment when authorities are blowing up your door, you have failed already. They will lock you up even if there is no proof at your place, the simple fact they got there means they have enough to Guantanamo you.
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 11:00:34 AM

The thing is, if you really want to play it safe, you just don't do it.

Of course, but for some the temptation is too strong.

And the people who were caught all did some incredibly stupid things. Ross Ulbricht and Alphaboy used their public emails. The sheep marketplace bloke spent millions of Euros on mansions and used toddler-level money laundering to buy them.

The tools are there to enable successful operation, but it seems people are too slack, greedy or lazy to make proper use of them.

Ponylon

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 11:42:53 AM

the locked chamber is a good point

but either way, unless you are an EXPERT about IT and computers + security, your chances of succeeding are very low

ulbrich wasn't very savvy IT wise (he was helped by many community members to establish many of the things he did). About alpha, I don't know

but either way that's the first thing I'd ask myself

Am I good enough to hide my tracks

Yes = I'll do it
No = I won't
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 05:39:21 PM

https://twitter.com/x0rz/status/919888593958694912
Brazillian #darknet market exposing clearnet IP address... with RDP enabled 😱 https://www.shodan.io/host/142.44.188.23 … h/t @Sh1ttyKids

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 06:13:02 PM

A) Never go back to the US
B) Don't buy 10 mill worth of shit..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: