Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:41:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] BitPay Hires Bitcoin Core-Developer Jeff Garzik  (Read 6637 times)
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:17:49 PM

I love bitpay, but this is a really bad thing. Now bitpay has control over how bitcoin will work. I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but what ever the devs put in the code, is whats in everyones bitcoin. It will now be what bitpay wants to see changed, not what the users want, because of course, no one is going to download the latest version from johnjoe who no one knows, over the dev for the past 3 years.

Other than that worry, congrats. I'm curious, are you being paid in bitcoin?

Did you know that Gavin once worked for CoinLab? Did you know he now works for Bitcoin Foundation?

Linux development is partially from paid workers for RedHat, SUSE, etc. There's no reason Bitcoin should be different.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:27:46 PM

Wow. Bitcoin is turning into the very thing its community used to be against. I'm looking forward to SatoshiDice and BitPay lobbying the devs and mining pools to include, exclude or modify changes. Perhaps they are already doing it.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:33:00 PM

I love bitpay, but this is a really bad thing. Now bitpay has control over how bitcoin will work. I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but what ever the devs put in the code, is whats in everyones bitcoin. It will now be what bitpay wants to see changed, not what the users want, because of course, no one is going to download the latest version from johnjoe who no one knows, over the dev for the past 3 years.

Did you know that Gavin once worked for CoinLab? Did you know he now works for Bitcoin Foundation?

Linux development is partially from paid workers for RedHat, SUSE, etc. There's no reason Bitcoin should be different.

Payment processors are the closest thing you get to a bank. Banks are in control right now, why would you want the next best thing in charge? That's what bitcoin is against.

I'm not saying this has to be a bad thing, it could really benefit, but the possibility is still there. Geed is in human nature.
boonies4u

Activity: 826

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:21:48 PM

They don't have control of the bitcoin protocol even me with my tin foil hat against the devs doesn't believe that. I do believe that it gives them a huge edge against other payment processors, they can have bitcoinds built for the purpose of being an enterprise solution and they can license that out, for another income. That would allow them to crush more companies out of the space. That is what scares me, cause if Jeff was smart, he write in the contract that everything he develops for them has to be open source and independent from bitpay's control.

Why shouldn't BitPay control the bitcoind that they pay him to make?
boonies4u

Activity: 826

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:28:48 PM

They don't have control of the bitcoin protocol even me with my tin foil hat against the devs doesn't believe that. I do believe that it gives them a huge edge against other payment processors, they can have bitcoinds built for the purpose of being an enterprise solution and they can license that out, for another income. That would allow them to crush more companies out of the space. That is what scares me, cause if Jeff was smart, he write in the contract that everything he develops for them has to be open source and independent from bitpay's control.

Why shouldn't BitPay control the bitcoind that they pay him to make?

BitPay can do whatever they want, I just said if Jeff was smart, he think with the mindset of helping the greater good, then just filling his pockets like some people on the dev team.

Best of luck in finding a dev that will make a vow of poverty. Because who knows... maybe secretly the (hypothetical) pizza delivery guy is a bitcoin developer and Domino's is actually telling him what to do.  Roll Eyes
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 11:29:47 PM

This is getting on my nerves.
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:37:08 PM

What happens if all the companies buy up all the core devs?

I figured the Dev's would be full time anyway as they would have been mining and in Bitcoin for a long time?
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:39:18 PM

Good news.

People with talent + people with money = success

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 11:58:19 PM

Jeff has a long history of Open Source development work .... I can't see him introducing code contributing to nefarious forks that only work in BitPay's favour ... and anyway he has to get Gavin to sign off on commits ... and worse comes to worse you could always use that branch of the code produced by the development monk sect who took a vow of poverty and study arcane crypto-math as a pastime (last seen in an enclave in the swiss alps some say) and only deliver their source code by USB sticks attached to the legs of carrier pigeon

finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:20:00 AM

Good news. Congrats to BitPay and Jeff.

oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:23:07 AM

Linus worked in Transmeta for a few years, and the community never had a problem. Conspiracy theorists need to get real.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 01:57:29 AM

Wait...you mean the devs need to eat? I thought they just ate code and went around giving gifts to people like Santa Claus all year round...

My whole belief system is ruined. I feel your pain Gweedo.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:59:11 AM

Devs are "allowed" to make money you know.

Congratulations.
N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:04:33 AM

Congratulations.
It can certainly represent a conflict of interest. But it's no problem, I've long realized Bitcoin won't change anything fundamentally. Even in a success scenario, the block chain would be limited with extraorbitant fees for transactions, making it only possible for crypto fat cats to make use of Bitcoin's actual properties. The plebs would again be exposed to centralization and "banks", necessarily. Trust is not removed, only shifted.

I digress. Grin
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:08:35 AM

Congratulations.
It can certainly represent a conflict of interest. But it's no problem, I've long realized Bitcoin won't change anything fundamentally. Even in a success scenario, the block chain would be limited with extraorbitant fees for transactions, making it only possible for crypto fat cats to make use of Bitcoin's actual properties. The plebs would again be exposed to centralization and "banks", necessarily. Trust is not removed, only shifted.

I digress. Grin

Don't worry Blitz ... people are out there working on the next layer for the "plebs" to enjoy bitcoin-like freedom too .... trust "noone".

N12
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:15:16 AM

Congratulations.

I digress. Grin

Don't worry Blitz ... people are out there working on the next layer for the "plebs" to enjoy bitcoin-like freedom too .... trust "noone".
Any concepts out there yet? Interested to see if this could work.

Sorry for the offtopic.
fuW19dxlim16

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:06:28 AM

It doesn't give BitPay decision-making power, it gives them the power to make proposals.
God, if I wanted I could contribute to the core development, just as anyone, would that mean I control Bitcoin ? Not more than any of us !
Code's changes still have to be reviewed by the community and other developers, and don't worry, a lot of people cares about that (you can see the polemic on dust outputs).

So chill out, and thank BitPay for their contribution (it's not selfless, but keep in mind they need Bitcoin to be a success for their business to run).
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:19:23 AM

I don't know if I should be scared of or happy for bitpay. I hope Jeff signed like an independent clause in his contract otherwise, I can see the genius of having your own core developer, in your pocket.

On a serious note: Congrats, great news!
BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 05:40:51 AM

So chill out, and thank BitPay for their contribution (it's not selfless, but keep in mind they need Bitcoin to be a success for their business to run).

BitPay cannot grow to 100x our size now without bitcoin being able to grow and scale with us.  Jeff is a great developer and can help work on the scaleability issues that bitcoin needs to meet the demands.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 05:44:05 AM

BitPay cannot grow to 100x our size now without bitcoin being able to grow and scale with us.  Jeff is a great developer and can help work on the scaleability issues that bitcoin needs to meet the demands.
I would consider this to be very encouraging news, if it wasn't for relatively recent comments made by Jeff that indicated a certain hostility on his part to implementing the necessary scaling improvements in Bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: