Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 09:11:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbine mining rig. Need help connecting cables and powering up motherboard  (Read 614 times)
ciamente (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 02:22:38 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2017, 02:35:48 AM by ciamente

Hi.

I have 5 EVGA GPUS. 6th is on the way.
3 GPUs: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 08G-P4-6178-KR and take only one 8 pin power connector.
2 GPUs: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 08G-P4-6278-KR and take two 8 pin power connectors.
2 PS: 1 Seasonic X series Gold 760W and 1 EVGA Gold Series 750G2
1 motherboard: Asrock H81 Pro BTC
1 cpu: Celeron G1840
2 rams: 4 gb ram each.
1 SSD harddrive

6 PCIE risers http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-USB3-0-1x-to-16x-Extender-Riser-Card-Adapter-SATA-Power-Cable-PCI-E-Express/132221021363?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

These risers come with these SATA to molex connectors:https://s19.postimg.org/5ig65pv2n/IMG_2021.jpg

Questions:
1.   I am really worried about fire from SATA to Molex connectors. SATA is not designed to withstand a lot of power. I am trying to avoid all SATA by connecting to all PCIE risers directly to PSUs via Molex.

Here are my 2 PSUs:
https://s19.postimg.org/dvqge4jo3/IMG_2025_(2).jpg
https://s19.postimg.org/yelcj6xlf/IMG_2024.jpg

The EVGA comes with one set of 6 pin to 4 molex connector cable.
https://s19.postimg.org/5dcew1nrn/IMG_2019.jpg

The Seasonic comes with one set of 6 pin to molex connector cable.
https://s19.postimg.org/vul4bcknn/IMG_2022.jpg
The Seasonic comes with at least 4 sets of 6 pins to SATA connector cable.

I am trying to keep one GPU per 6-pin to Molex cable and 3 GPUs per PSU.

I don’t have enough 6-pin to Molex cables. I have called EVGA twice, and they agreed to send me 3 6-pin to molex cables for free. It really depends on CSR you talk to. First CSR told me no. Second CSR said yes.  On EVGA PSU, you can interchange between connecting either SATA and Peripheral ports with either SATA or Peripheral cables. This is really cool. So EVGA PSU is not a problem.  

On Seasonic PSU, their tech support is not open 24 hours so I couldn't get hold them today. I will need about 3 6-pin to molex cables. How will I mod the existing 6-pins to SATA connector cables or can I buy them off ebay? I would think it is as easy as going to Seasonic website to buy the extra cables, no, it's not there.

Here is a picture of side by side pin. The molex to 6-pin cable is on the left and sata to 6-pin cable is on the right.
https://s19.postimg.org/y4dtzuiz7/IMG_2030.jpg

If I were to mod the existing 6-pins to SATA to 6-pin to molex, do I need to pay attention to the difference in the pin connection? The difference is SATA to 6-pin has one more pin on the top left.

2. In the future, what PCIE riser should I get? As far as i know, molex connectors are safe. It's the molded SATAs that are not. My existing PCIE risers are molex. There are some risers that are 6 pins, however, if I get those, I would need to get 6 pin to 6 pin cables to PSU? Can I find those cables on Ebay? Will they work on EVGA and Seasonic PSU?

3. One lesson learned from this time is some PSU requires 2 8-pins. Really.

https://s19.postimg.org/98fsym6xf/IMG_2012_(2).jpg
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 08G-P4-6278-KR and take two 8 pin power connectors.
Luckily I have enough ports in Season PSU so this is not an issue.

4. On my motherboard, i have connected the main motherboard power supply. I will need to connect power to CPU. Is there any other element I will need to connect? This AsRock mother has at least 4 power connections via molex, Sata, etc.
https://s19.postimg.org/d3j716q37/IMG_2028.jpg

5. My next step once I have all cable issue resolved, is to  update motherboard BIOS, disable the on-board GPU. Reduce the power usage on GPUs by tweaking clock settings.

6. After that, I will need to download mining software and open wallet account and start mining. Anything else I am missing?

7. On the 2nd rig, if I am motivated to do so and have enough money, would be to rinse and repeat, and make sure PCIE and PSU have enough right kind of cables and connectors.

Thanks.

igotfits

Activity: 298
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 03:24:24 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2017, 05:41:41 AM by igotfits

1060s 2 connected per line, no issues for months. those fires and burn outs you hear about are from people linking up more than 2 connections.

These are version 7, im not sure if yours are v6 or v5
Ebay Link
stoniestfool

Activity: 234

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 03:35:52 AM

2 connected per line, no issues for months. those fires and burn outs you hear about are from people linking up more than 2 connections.

Ebay Link
You are completly wrong. You advice will cause a fire. Sata connectors are not rated to run as much voltage as the extender board requires. This causes the wires to heat up and melt the coating. The bare wires short and creat sparks. You must use molex connectors from the psu. No more than 2 molex on each cable.
However, now the diff has increased your return on thos 1070 has gone from a few month to atleast 15 months. That is only if ethereum was not going pos and mining ethereum will no longer be possible. So sorry but you will never make a profit.
ciamente (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 04:00:05 AM

2 connected per line, no issues for months. those fires and burn outs you hear about are from people linking up more than 2 connections.

Ebay Link
You are completly wrong. You advice will cause a fire. Sata connectors are not rated to run as much voltage as the extender board requires. This causes the wires to heat up and melt the coating. The bare wires short and creat sparks. You must use molex connectors from the psu. No more than 2 molex on each cable.
However, now the diff has increased your return on thos 1070 has gone from a few month to atleast 15 months. That is only if ethereum was not going pos and mining ethereum will no longer be possible. So sorry but you will never make a profit.

wow it went from 3 months 15 months of payback in few weeks? I could at least mine other currency. I am planning to download nicehash.
stoniestfool

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 04:56:01 AM

nicehash pays less that mining yourself. It does not work well with overclocking. Since different algo'd use diffent amount of cpu and memory combo. Ethereum is the most profitable anyway. Check whattomine or ethereum profit caculator. The return is so much long in part to higher nethash and the price of ethereum is half of what it was 2 months ago. So yes mining is not very profitable now. Soon it will not even pay for the electric. Once ethereum goes pos all the rigs will switch and crash profitability.
Whatever you do do not use the sata connectors on the extenders. My nephew did after I warned him. Within an hour we had a fire.After putting it out the sata connector had all bare wires were the coating use to be.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2017, 05:37:23 AM

Ebay Link

Actually, SATA power connectors are rated to run 12V and 5V, just as molex connectors are. (With the addition of 3.3V, which usually isn't used for these sorts of things.)
The difference is how much current they can carry, and that's where people start to see problems with SATA connectors.

OP, you seem to have answered your own question there. If you aren't comfortable using SATA to molex or SATA to 6 pin PCIe adapters, then avoid them. I've also avoided SATA to molex adapters, but I've used a SATA (single) to 6-pin connector on a 7770 for years without issue, but I wouldn't rely on them for more powerful cards.

wow it went from 3 months 15 months of payback in few weeks? I could at least mine other currency. I am planning to download nicehash.

I would see how your rig performs on Zcash, since Nvidia cards usually do pretty well on Equihash. NiceHash is all right if you're just getting started, so long as you pay attention to fees and the minimum payout requirements, but I wouldn't use it in the long run unless you really want automated conversions to BTC. (Even then, you could also look into multipools that offer payouts in BTC.)

With the motherboard you have, you should only need to power the risers, and will not need extra power connections to the motherboard itself. The 24 pin motherboard connector and 8 pin CPU connector should be it.

When you say you might want to "mod the existing 6-pins to SATA to 6-pin to molex," what do you mean? Are you swapping a 6 pin to SATA adapter with a 6 pin to molex, or doing a weird chain of adapters?

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
igotfits

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 05:40:00 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2017, 05:51:44 AM by igotfits

Ebay Link
"You are completly wrong. You advice will cause a fire. Sata connectors are not rated to run as much voltage as the extender board requires."

FYI i been runnings 1060s, 570s and other GPUs at 2 per line. will i use 2 for my next 580 build? probably not since i play it safe.

The cards draw about 25-50 watts on the pcie slot. They draw from 100-300w on the pcie power connectors. I've tested this many times. The powered risers power the CARD, they run the fans, and the communications side of the gpu. I haven't seen a card draw more than 45 watts at full power through the power connector on the riser cards. Power boost has nothing to do with what the capabilities of the amount of copper in a motherboard trace can handle are. Six cards trying to draw 40W each is 240 watts, through a connection probably designed to provide 100-150. That's why people have problems, and that's why the powered risers are so nice.

FYI Voltage does not heat up the wires, it's amperage draw. you can have 100s of volts running through small cable but it must have lil to no amp draw...
I am not here to say who's right or wrong, yes molex can handle a higher amp pull of 5amps, while sata can only do 4.5amps, along with different voltage which can lower or kick up the amps.

You shouldnt discourage new miners about how they arent going to make any money, you dont know what he's doing. He might want to mine a coin that will maybe who knows blow up one day like these other coins have done over and over.

Also using adapters create resistance since the line is not solid anymore and has a splice which also kicks up amps. so sata connected directly to the riser has worked best for me.
ciamente (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 05:54:28 AM

Ebay Link
"You are completly wrong. You advice will cause a fire. Sata connectors are not rated to run as much voltage as the extender board requires."

FYI i been runnings 1060s, 570s and other GPUs at 2 per line. will i use 2 for my next 1070 build? probably not since i play it safe.

The cards draw about 25-50 watts on the pcie slot. They draw from 100-300w on the pcie power connectors. I've tested this many times. The powered risers power the CARD, they run the fans, and the communications side of the gpu. I haven't seen a card draw more than 45 watts at full power through the power connector on the riser cards. Power boost has nothing to do with what the capabilities of the amount of copper in a motherboard trace can handle are. Six cards trying to draw 40W each is 240 watts, through a connection probably designed to provide 100-150. That's why people have problems, and that's why the powered risers are so nice.

FYI Voltage does not heat up the wires, it's amperage draw. you can have 100s of volts running through small cable but it must have lil to no amp draw...
I am not here to say who's right or wrong, yes molex can handle a higher amp pull of 5amps, while sata can only do 4.5amps, along with different voltage which can lower or kick up the amps.

You shouldnt discourage new miners about how they arent going to make any money, you dont know what he's doing. He might want to mine a coin that will maybe who knows blow up one day like these other coins have done over and over.

Also using adapters create resistance since the line is not solid anymore and has a splice which also kicks up amps. so sata connected directly to the riser has worked best for me.

I live in the 2nd or the highest electricity cost in the county-SoCAL. It's not profitable for me. I pay more into electricity than what I will make each month. hmm.

igotfits

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 05:56:00 AM

That may be true but what are your goals? are u just mining to make a quick buck? do u want this to be a long term investment?
IMO anyone starting now has to get ready to wait it out a long time an hope for the best.

im right there with you, im in SOcal myself.
ciamente (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 06:20:56 AM

Ebay Link

Actually, SATA power connectors are rated to run 12V and 5V, just as molex connectors are. (With the addition of 3.3V, which usually isn't used for these sorts of things.)
The difference is how much current they can carry, and that's where people start to see problems with SATA connectors.

OP, you seem to have answered your own question there. If you aren't comfortable using SATA to molex or SATA to 6 pin PCIe adapters, then avoid them. I've also avoided SATA to molex adapters, but I've used a SATA (single) to 6-pin connector on a 7770 for years without issue, but I wouldn't rely on them for more powerful cards.

I would see how your rig performs on Zcash, since Nvidia cards usually do pretty well on Equihash. NiceHash is all right if you're just getting started, so long as you pay attention to fees and the minimum payout requirements, but I wouldn't use it in the long run unless you really want automated conversions to BTC. (Even then, you could also look into multipools that offer payouts in BTC.)

With the motherboard you have, you should only need to power the risers, and will not need extra power connections to the motherboard itself. The 24 pin motherboard connector and 8 pin CPU connector should be it.

When you say you might want to "mod the existing 6-pins to SATA to 6-pin to molex," what do you mean? Are you swapping a 6 pin to SATA adapter with a 6 pin to molex, or doing a weird chain of adapters?

My risers take female molex adapters. Yes i want to swap to 6 pin to molex, like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252733245120?ul_noapp=true however, i need the white end is female molex adapter to connect to my risers.

Here is another one. I need to make sure it is female molex.
https://www.moddiy.com/products/4%252dPin-Molex-to-6%252dPin-PCIe-Power-Adapter-%2820cm%29.html

stoniestfool

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 06:29:24 AM

Ebay Link

FYI i been runnings 1060s, 570s and other GPUs at 2 per line. will i use 2 for my next 580 build? probably not since i play it safe.

First off you are not measuring correctly. 1/3 the total power comes from the pcie slot. Second you are running weak 1060's that have low power draw and high hash to watt numbers. That is highly inefficiant anyway. 2 570's dual mining draw close to 300. Since 100 watts come from the molex that is more than they are rated for. Sata is rated for 54 watts total. This has and does cause fires. I have seen it and a search of the forum will provide more proof. Lastly, I am keeping his expectations realistic. All coins have loss nearly 50% in value. With all the new rigs coming online the down tread will continue. That is common sence. Something you seem to lack with your comments. Ethereum was massivly pumped. That is over. No other magic coin is going to increase in value enough to even cover electricity soon. I have researched every coin with any realistic potential. You just read newbie comments and base your though process on those and hope. Sorry but the fact is gpu mining is barely profitable now and will only decrease in the future.
stoniestfool

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 06:33:39 AM

Ebay Link

My risers take female molex adapters. Yes i want to swap to 6 pin to molex, like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252733245120?ul_noapp=true however, i need the white end is female molex adapter to connect to my risers.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/4%252dPin-Molex-to-6%252dPin-PCIe-Power-Adapter-%2820cm%29.html

You can not do what your trying to. A 6 pin has 3 12v lines and 3 grounds. Your extenders require 1 12v,1 5v and 2 grounds. Since the 6 pin has no 5v it will not work.
igotfits

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 06:35:39 AM

^^ hes right, i even tried looking for a conversion adapter nothing came up. wouldnt this riser have been better?? EBAY LINK HERE!
ciamente (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 07:09:40 AM

Ebay Link

You can not do what your trying to. A 6 pin has 3 12v lines and 3 grounds. Your extenders require 1 12v,1 5v and 2 grounds. Since the 6 pin has no 5v it will not work.

Hmm. There is no way for me to avoid using Sata connector?
ciamente (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 07:16:50 AM

^^ hes right, i even tried looking for a conversion adapter nothing came up. wouldnt this riser have been better?? EBAY LINK HERE!

with that riser, would you use something like this https://www.moddiy.com/products/6%252dPin-PSU-Modular-Power-Cable-to-PCI%252dE-%2830cm%29.html to avoid Sata connector?
igotfits

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 07:39:54 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2017, 07:50:08 AM by igotfits

with that riser, would you use something like this https://www.moddiy.com/products/6%252dPin-PSU-Modular-Power-Cable-to-PCI%252dE-%2830cm%29.html to avoid Sata connector?

it looks to be it, you need a minimum of 4 wires 5v, 15v 2 grounds. but now your making tons of mods and using after market stuff.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2017, 07:48:48 AM

I would avoid those. The ports on PSUs for modular cables are not standardized well, so I would strongly advise against using a generic cable such as that one.

They do say that they can customize it for your PSU brand, but I'd still be careful and verify with the pinout diagrams, since a mistake there may cost you dearly.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
stoniestfool

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 08:34:49 AM

Ebay Link

Hmm. There is no way for me to avoid using Sata connector?
You can buy additional molex cables. Sincee the evga psu is modular. Just be sure to get wires for your psu. Seasonic and evga use different pinouts than standard. So search ebay for evga molex. They plug in where the sata would but are much safer.
ciamente (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 03:01:02 PM

That may be true but what are your goals? are u just mining to make a quick buck? do u want this to be a long term investment?
IMO anyone starting now has to get ready to wait it out a long time an hope for the best.

im right there with you, im in SOcal myself.

I was thinking I might be just better buying coins in the exchange just like you would with stocks and not paying fees like electricity and mining rig, although mining rig is fun but it is dangerous for newbie to setup and run. As soon as the power bill is over $100, which I am sure i will hit that in a week or so, I am contacting Solar City. They do a no money down lease, finance and cash buy out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ifx6M1n0h0&index=6&list=PLlTUEWrjg_WiPd9v1aASDlnLyBJvhuPwt&t=15s

He has a 800mh/s farm at his home but he stopped 9 months ago. He said, "Back in March & April (before the A/C really started being run regularly) my usage was (6604 kWh & 7029 kWh).  With A/C usage over the summer I peaked out around 7800 - 8100 kWh.  But, I'm all done now.  I stopped about 2+ weeks ago.  It's nice to have the house quiet and cool again. Smiley  I had a flat rate contract that expired, so I had the option of readjusting my flat rate (upwards) or simply reverting back to the standard "pay for what you use" billing.  In either case it was going to be higher.  The new adjust flat rate would have still kept it pretty profitable.  But even then, it just felt like it was getting close to the point of diminishing returns.  For example, when I started mining in Aug/Sept of 2015, I was mining 6-9 blocks/day (as much as 45+ ETH/day).  When I stopped 2-3 weeks ago, I was down to ~3.8 ETH/day and falling.  For that little amount, the heat, noise, and hassle were making it borderline worth it, especially after 1 full year of it already."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: